Yikes, need a door lock/latch assembly for a 87 Sunrader!

Mikesta

Hey all, its been a while since I've posted anything. I'm looking for a door latch assembly for a 87 Sunrader. I've looked at a few thread here, but haven't found any suppliers. I'm pretty sure you are going to tell me that they no longer make them... but I have a tidbit of hope! Maybe someone has one laying around or knows of a junkyard?

Thanks in advance!

Mikesta

post-499-0-52044000-1362428705_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-23499800-1362428739_thumb.jpg

post-499-0-34556800-1362428869_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a Sunrader door latch that looked so new. Does it say Trimark somewhere on those labels? Tacoma Sue a member here had a problem with hers and was able to find a locksnith that could repair it. best case scenario. That model with the dual rotor latches has not been made in a long time.

Linda s

No that is one I was test fitting in the hole to see if I can custom fit a newer style. I can custom fit a newer style and buy that one, but would rather have the original which is completely missing

Well your in luck. it's still available. Posted it on my group a while ago. I know it says Dodge but it's the same as the one on my Sunraders. Ask first if there are keys for it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Motorhome-Entry-Door-Lock-Rv-/261141017441?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccd37b361&vxp=mtr

Pretty sure this is the only one for sale in America

Linda s

Hey Linda S, thanks.... do you know of any others? I hear you know a ton about Sunraders.

Like I said.pretty sure that is the only one anywhere but since it came out of a Dodge motorhome there might be quite a few in junk yards somewhere. That seller is Colaws Rv salvage yard. One of the largest rv salvage yards in the country. Wouldn't hurt to ask them if they have anymore like it. You have 2 Sunraders and a Winnie? Sounds like me. 2 Sunraders and a Tiger Provan.

Linda S

lots of times if you have no keys a locksmith can make them from scratch

Well the generator compartment key for my toyota Sunrader fit the door of my Nissan Sunrader which I didn't have. Didn't have any keys for the Nissan except for the truck key and now have all off of my Toyota key ring. Every single one fit somewhere. Kind of scary.

Linda S

Sorry, gave mine away @ a toy rally in Southern California a few years ago to Tika I believe. She said she knew someone who was in desperate need of one. Whoever ended up w/ it, I hope they didn't "pay" anything for it, cause I gave it away for free.

Happy to see it go. That knob-plate thing is just asking to bruise a rib on or catch/rip your clothes and send you tumbling in the night.

I bought a brand new standard RV dual type (deadbolt + latch) for around $30 bucks on ebay. You'll have to do a little fiberglass modification to your door, but will be so worth it in the end to get rid of that protusive knob and plate. Just tossing out an option other than replacing w/ stock style.

post-385-0-04943500-1362448449_thumb.png

• 3 years later...

Looks like I am in the market for a rebuilt / used / refurbished Trimark 1986 Sunrader entry door lock. Not sure if someone "Jimmied It" or what, but It was fine just the other day, but now today I found it unlocked and am not able to relock it. Looks like Linda has a "handle" on where to find these ?

On 3/4/2013 at 4:39 PM, linda s said:

Like I said.pretty sure that is the only one anywhere but since it came out of a Dodge motorhome there might be quite a few in junk yards somewhere. That seller is Colaws Rv salvage yard. One of the largest rv salvage yards in the country. Wouldn't hurt to ask them if they have anymore like it. You have 2 Sunraders and a Winnie? Sounds like me. 2 Sunraders and a Tiger Provan.

Linda S

I took it to a locksmith who would not even try to fix it, so then I spent an hour trying to dissemble it, and stopped just shy of destroying it (I hope). Does anyone know how these come apart? The problem seems to be in the sliding locking latch on the inside portion of the mechanism. You can pry up a locking tab of the internal face plate to release some of the innards, but it appears that two brass rings that the mounting bolts go through need to move just a 1/4 inch to separate the internal parts. It is getting a bit beyond my patients / ability. 

In other news I put in a new rebuilt transmission last year and what a difference, a Joy to drive now. Last week I scrubbed the Be Jesus out of the body and put on 6 coats of Polyglow fiberglass rejuvinator. OH MY GOODNESS what a shine the body has now. It seems to repel the falling leaves, dirt, water, pine needles, and just glows in the moonlight. A new paint job on the cab, some new solar panels, and made some LED tail lights that look something like a 1958 Ford Interceptor to replace the old Bargemans. They remind me of my Dads (Cop Engine & Suspension) Fire Red 58 Ford tail lights and seemed to increase my top speed by several miles per hour (with a strong tail wind that is)

I am sorry but I can't help. I look for them frequently on eBay but none have shown up in the last year or so. I've heard this place is pretty good for parts

https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastRvRecyclingAndSales/

And then there is Dr. George in Sacramento

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/

I know that Dr George will ship. Maybe if you talked to them they can have you send a picture and they can find one. Other place might do the same. Have to ask

I also recommend you try another locksmith. Find an old guy. It must come apart. I have heard of people having new tumblers installed in them before 

Linda S

Thanks Linda,

What exactly am I looking for? Part Number description? I see you found one for a dodge motorhome, what kind of Dodge motorhome? I tried a number of searches but really don't know the proper identifier. The really good locksmith (SOAOG ~  Son Of An Old Guy) here in our village is on vacation, the tumbler is fine, it is in the lockout toggle inside the door.Thanks Again, Lee

It's a Trimark dual rotor lock. I don't know what model number it is but I will see if I can find any numbers on mine tomorrow. They don't make anything like it anymore. The dual rotor ones they make now look like car door locks. Don't know what kind of Dodge motorhome. I have seen them on them though but run of the mill class C's that I didn't make note of. One that I saw on Ebay said Dodge motorhome lock too.

People have changed to regular locks. need some work in the door frame to make it work but here's a dead bolt installation in a Sunrader. It's the yahoo group. You belong there too right

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyota-campers/search/photos?query=door

Linda S

Thanks Linda, I just spent some frustrating time trying to join the yahoo group so I could read the thread. So far I keep getting error messages.

That is a nice clean looking installation. Do they just leave the old lockset as a non locking latch then?

Does it take a while for the yahoo group to accept new members? I kept getting knocked out by the robo code deal in the join group (prove you are not a robot by typing this "y6hr9Kt". I gave up after 30 some attempts..Seems to be how things are going today

The Yahoo group you have to be approved before you can post and then every message needs to be approved for a number of days. Those pics I just posted are from here. Yup he just left the old lock in place. I have seen others just replace the lock mechanism. Put the part in the door jamb just like that dead bolt but because most new locks are smaller they filled in the door area with some diamond plate or white plexiglass.

Linda

I just spent a couple of hours taking the lock set apart fixing the problem and reassembling it. In the process I found the locks weak link. Someone had twisted the outdoor handle so hard that the internal slider arm (when you lock the door from the inside at night you push this slider to "lock", that slider then moves a rather weakly built arm that moves a shuttle over and keeps the two clam shells from being able to spread apart to release from the post. This lock set is NOT real fun to take apart and re assemble, and as I was putting it back together after re bending the slider part back into its normal shape I realized that the same "person" that jimmied this lock the other night, could just twist the handle again and I would be back to an un lockable door. So I guess it is on to the deadbolt.........

Meanwhile, the Toyota yahoo group owner / moderator has rejected my membership

Edited by Lee & Joan
adding something

Rejected? I've never heard of such a thing. Can you PM me some of the info you used for that group, email ,name used. My girlfriend is a moderator. I will find out what happened

I think it's great that you got your door lock fixed though. Yes they are not the safest locks in the world. I had no coach locks for my Nissan Sunrader. I found all the keys I needed on my Toyota Sunrader set just in different places aka generator compartment opened the door and so on. Older Toyota keys are the same. Friend locked himself out at a restaurant we met at and I took my Corolla key and opened his door. 6 years difference in cars ages.

Linda S

Success !!! I finally reassembled the lock properly and reinstalled it and it works. What I said yesterday about the lock being easy to break by turning the handle hard, I no longer believe. I don't know how they bent the metal locking tab. When you do lock it with either the key or indoor tab a sliding H shaped piece slides toward the two clam shells and locks them from spreading apart, and that piece would be hard to break. So I am puzzled how this happened.

If anyone wants to know how these come apart I now know. The two Bigger mounting screws on the clam shell end have underneath them a brass sleeve (Collet) that holds that end of the lock together. It tapers where the screw head tapers holding all three pieces together. At the other end a simple folded piece of the inner aluminum housing holds all 3 together. You must pry the brass collet taper (under the screw head in the aluminum piece) and make it straight, then the whole "works" comes apart. That is the easy part. There is not a lot in there. The 2 clam shell pieces pivot on a hole and pin on the far end. A spring hooks around on the clam shell sides pushing them together. It is a long U shape, the ends point toward the locking clams. A central slider can shuttle between the clam shells  at the locking end, when it moves toward the lock post it locks them around the post, other direction unlocks it. The inside slider or outside key moves the H shaped locking part. The door handles turn a flat bar that spreads the clam shells apart. There are several wrong ways to reassemble the lock (I think I found most of them) but if you look at the wear marks it helps to see what was moving where. The handle flat bar can go in backwards, the long end should go toward the inside cabin side.

The biggest trick is to keep the clam shells and spring in place as you join the 3 layers together The bottom layer, this would be the piece closest to the inside of the door surface, is where you should start re assembly . Put your clam shells in their pivot points, put the spring over that, put the H slider up by the jaws in the middle, then put the slide lock arm in. Have both of your brass knurl collet things that your big mounting screws go though, have them back to a non-tapered end so they will go back through the middle steel plate and the aluminum cover. I found that it helped to use electric tape to temporarily hold the clam shell, brass collets, and spring in position.. Bring the center metal piece and aluminum piece in position with the flat handle bar in the normal (horizonal like on the door) position. Make sure those brass collets go all the way through the center and aluminum plates and that the clam shell pivot holes mate with the pins on both heavy metal plates. Clamp the clam shell end with a vice grip, engage the aluminum tab on the other end. See if the lock works. If it does then while sill clamped ream the tapers back into the brass collets to hold that end together. You are now done !  HAVE A BEER

I did this several times yesterday And thought I had better write it down in case I or anyone else wants to try this magic trick.:sorcerer: see the magic wand ?

Man I wish you had taken pictures. I can't count the times someone has needed to know this. In fact I have a friend taking delivery of a Sunrader soon from back east and his door lock isn't working right either. Going to copy this and send it to him

Linda S

Believe me there were several times when I said to myself "why did you take this apart you fool?", but after walking away for a while I remembered, it was already broken, so even if I did not get it fixed I could put it back in the hole and it would still be broken, so what did I have to lose? Unfortunately I am still in the photo dark ages with a really good old 35 mm camera and some fine macro lenses, but alas no one here develops film anymore. Soon I will get modernized.

I was probably the last person on the planet to get a cell phone. I have used it maybe 3 hours in the last year that I have had it, just to call home. I have to get a chip put in it so I can store photos, just have not done it yet. I can take photos but I can't download them out of there, but I can see them in there on the phone. Funny thing is this phone (tracphone) gets a signal out in the middle of nowhere (usually) where I end up camping. Other peoples phones don't.

THANK YOU LINDA, I am now a member of the yahoo toyota campers group. Without your help I would still be "knockin on da door" Mucho Appreciated

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2016 at 8:18 PM, Lee & Joan said:

[a lot of useful stuff]

Thanks for the excellent write-up @Lee & Joan!

I've got the lock out of my 88 Sunrader (since it was closing but not locking) and I got the collets undone so the assembly is loose but can’t figure out how to get the handle off. No set screw or otherwise. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lenny

The two screws on the inside should be all there is they are nothing more than a household lockset. It maybe just rusted the doors are not exactly water tight.

Edited by Maineah

Unfortunately, the handle and plate don't seem to slide off for us (bc the handle is larger than the hole in the plate).

I've attached some pictures and a video my friend Peter took of the door handle we're unable to remove.

Hopefully someone will know the "1 simple trick" to detaching it.

Thanks,

Lenny

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-04 at 2.02.28 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-04 at 2.02.28.5 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-04 at 2.03.05 PM.jpeg

Edited by sweetleon
remove duplicate photo

I thought you couldn't get it off the door. What are you trying to accomplish. Fix the lock mechanism? I'll have to take mine apart again. No easy replacements. There are a couple that fit the door hole but you have to install a conventional plate on adjoining wall like a home door lock. 

Linda S

16 hours ago, linda s said:

I thought you couldn't get it off the door. What are you trying to accomplish. Fix the lock mechanism? 

Yes, I'm trying to fix the lock mechanism. Getting it out of the door was easy, but I can't get at the lock mechanism without removing the handle from it, and that won't seem to come off.

Got it! I had to physically bend the crimped ends of the bushings/collets to get the mechanism's faceplates apart. 

fullsizeoutput_110f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1112.jpeg

Edited by sweetleon
add image

• 3 years later...