How long does a 5 gallon propane tank last?

Marco1503

just getting an idea of how much propane gas i will be buying.

i plan on going full time in a few months.

i will probable use it for a total of 2hrs a day. and i think its a 5 gallon tank.

thanks

Marco, you can compute and plan your usage if you do a small amount of research.

A 5 gallon tank (typical BBQ tank) is 20 lbs. 1lb of propane can supply about 21,000 BTU, so a full tank should be able to supply 21,000 x 20 = 420,000 BTU

i.e what appliances will you be using, and for how long. These number are estimated BTUs per hour

Stove burner = 7,500 BTU

Frig = 400 BTU
Furnace = 16,000 BTU
Mr Buddy heater = 3,000 / 9,000 BTU

NOTE - Your furnace is probably about 50% efficient, so even though your consuming 16,000 BTU, about 8,000 heats the house, and 8,000 heats the outside world. The Mr Buddy is 99.9% efficient, all the heat it produces heats the house.

EXAMPLE - I just returned from a road trip, 1 tank (20 lbs) lasted just over a week. we ran the frig continuous for the 8 days (77,000BTU). we ran the Mr Buddy about 8 hours a couple nights on 3,000 and 4-5 nights on 9,000.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Don't forget to throw the water heater in there too. I don't live in mine and use 6 or 7 gallons a season May to Nov. so an outing any where from 2 days to 2 weeks 5 or so times a year. As waiter pointed out your energy hog is going to be the heater go some where warm!