Newbe

Palouse Rider

Howdy,

I'm looking at two different RV's. A '79 Dolphin and an '83 15' Sunrader. Can someone discuss the +/- 's of the two rigs? I've read about the problems with the rear axles and bearings. Anything else to look out for?

:D

A few differences I can think of between the two for what its worth, if they are original and haven't been changed,

The 79 dolphin would be a wood stick framed couch covered with an aluminum skin,

it would have a 20R engine as standard

depending on length it may or may not need the rear axle upgrade, although anytime you can upgrade its always worth it.

The 83 Sunrader would be fiberglass construction, they hold up somewhat better and are less leak prone than the tin skinned ones

it would have the 22R as standard engine

The camper appliances were pretty generic and may be very similar if not the same from model to model, so floor plan layout, condition, ect, would be your preference as to which one would work best for you. Good luck

My two cents worth. If you can afford it look for something with at least a 22r fuel injected engine. Also find a floor plan you really like. We have a Sunrader, the pros are its all molded fiberglass with few places for leaks. Its aerodynamic in the front so maybe easier to drive because of that. Ours has a rear dinette with a great view out the back. Really easy to drive and park. Only drove a 21 footer once and it was ok but I could feel the side wind alot more. The cons, it took awhile for my wife and I to get a system down for moving around inside at the same time. The bathroom on our 18 footer is really small, no sink in there. The larger units benifit having a larger bathroom. Same for storage space, not much. Storage space can have an evil side though, just too much you don;t want to do with out and next thing you know the rig is over weight.

I say stay away from the aluminum sideing rigs. Many of the newer rigs even though they look like aluminum its actually fiberglass. One of your main concerns is water damage. Pull the cusions, look in cabnits etc for water signs. Rot is one of the hardest to fix. The mechanical aspect of them is all easy compared to rot.

P.S. Welcome, glad the manual entry worked.

Greg

Thanks nolan and Greg for the responses. I am goiing to take a look at a '78 Holiday 17' tomorrow. It is listed in a local paper here for $795. It's probably junk, but you never know.

To tell the truth I am leaning toward the Sunrader for the reasons you mentioned. They are probably lighter. But then my 1979 San Juan 23' is pretty heavey for a fiberglass boat!

I can take pics of that Holiday if you want to add them to the site. You don't have that on listed.

:D

Thats it. I really mean thats the rig. Not just like that one that is the one Its just up the street. I can not tell about the rear axle but I do know there was a recall on the Nissans just like the toy axles for the same reason. Any how let me know if your interested and I will stop and take a look at it.

Greg