Propane leak in the furnace.

mason

Hi, My furnace leaks propane and I can smell it. When I shut the valve to the furnace there is no leak. So the leak is inside the furnace. Do I have to take the furnace out? I suppose that i have to. Does any body have such problem? How would you take the furnace out?

And it is getting colder where I am. Thanks, Mason

Can you say BOOM? Don't screw around with propane. Go to RV SHOP

I have taken a suburban dsi17 furnace out of winnie warrior. I disconnected the house battery, made double sure the propane was turned offed at the tank, disconnected the gas line at the furnace. I found that pulling the exhaust off of the outside of the camper helped. Then a few screws at the front of the furnace was all that was left. I did not disconnect the wires as I was only changing the plastic fan & the wiring harness was long enough to slide th eunit out of its hole and set up in the aisle way (on top of cardboard as a lot of dust, etc came out).

If you cut the wires label them carefully - mine were not color coded (all purple).

as for actually repairing the unit ... be careful -- you are playing with gas & finding the leak may be a chore without a way to pressurize the unit. I would price a new unit from somewhere like PPL motorhomes...http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-furnaces-suburban-atwood-parts-1.htm

You may have trouble finding an older unit. parts are available.

You might want to construct a fuel line so as to use propane to find the leak... with all the windows & doors open. Probably best done on a bench with an inert gas.

Furnace should be able to slide out from the inside of the MH ( 4 screws holding it in). The Exterior exhaust and intake tubes (on the exterior) should slide apart from the furnace. However, on mine, the exhaust tubes were a little rusted and would not slide off of the furnace, so the furnace would not slide out. I had to bend the tabs on the exhaust tube (on the outside of the MH) and then the furnace slide out with the exhaust tube still attached.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3520

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the responses. I had a hard time logging in.

Apparently on these units you are supposed to do a reset. You shut the valve and start the unit for five minutes . Then you open the gas valve and you are set. Also i was low on propane. filling up and doing the reset took care of the problem.

Now I have a problem with the axle. I drove for about 300 miles from SLC to Mesquite Nevada. Looking at the deferential I see wetness on the bottom of it. Checked the oil level it was OK. I changed the differential oil before the trip and I added locus . May be that locus thinned out the oil and this happened. It is either the gasket or the little vent on the top leaks or the axle is rusted through:( I will change the diff oil again tomorrow and go from there. Will keep posted.If I needed the differential gasket where would have one for a 91 warrior?

Thank you guys and hope to meet some day.

i used to buy them from napa. but i would check the drive line flange see if its lose hope not leak there or diff flange.never heard of one rusting out. somtimes you can tighten the boltson the diff circle

i used to buy them from napa. but i would check the drive line flange see if its lose hope not leak there or diff flange.never heard of one rusting out. somtimes you can tighten the boltson the diff circle

Hi,

I took a closer look at the differential(with a mirror). It seems that the gasket is not leaking and it seems to me that the oil came out from the top of the differential from that little vent thing that looks like a tire valve. I checked the oil level and it seemed to be right to the inspection hole. I am glad that you said that you never heard of one rusting through. I wonder how thick that housing is. Because a few month ago when it was warm I wire brushed the differential and it didn't look too bad to me and I painted it with stop rust paint. It does not seem that it leaks any more but I have only driven it around town and a little bit on the free way. Is it possible that the oil came out from that vent and why?

yes it is possible did you have as level as could be when put oil in it. should be done on level so when full oil runs out of the hole when full . THE VENT IS THERE FOR A REASON SORRY I AM NOT IN THE KNOW BUT KNOW THEY ARE VENTED HOPE THINGS GO OK FOR YOU.

yes it is possible did you have as level as could be when put oil in it. should be done on level so when full oil runs out of the hole when full . THE VENT IS THERE FOR A REASON SORRY I AM NOT IN THE KNOW BUT KNOW THEY ARE VENTED HOPE THINGS GO OK FOR YOU.

It seemed to be level at least rear tires were at that same level but the street had a very light slope.I have checked it it twice in two different places. And it was good. I will check it again once I am on the road.