Sorry to crash your Forum

elskysto

tell me everything you know about 78 toyota dolphins

Ok so I've been reading through the forum and I've learned a lot, some great information. I hate crashing forums for answers but if any of you take the time to help me out it will be much appreciated.

I've found a 78 dolphin with 74K and asking price of 1500. I've read about particle board water damage but how that doesn't apply to some model years.

I've also read about 5 vs 6 lug rear axles, and something about a recall on the head gasket I believe.

I'm fairly skilled mechanical wise and first thing I'd do if I bought it would be to replace all the suspension, new plugs wires rotor and boot, check and replace the cv axles if needed run full synthetic in the transmission and rear differential, do the fuel filter, air filter, oil, and radiator flush, possibly new radiator depending on the look of the old one.

So mechanically I'm not super concerned but I'm oblivious to what I need to look for in a 30+ year old camper other then the plumbing, fridge, stove electrical all work but that's about it.

I have a connection with a rino lining company would rino lining the roof solve any leak problems?

What kind of price am I looking at in doing a 5 lug to 6 lug conversion?

any answers would be awesome thanks in advance

Best bet is to review older forum posts. Most all your questions will be answered there. As far as specific model questions there may be a few members with that older model. It would help if you made a short list of specific questions that you could not find answers for after reviewing the prior forum answers. Welcome to the best site for Toyotamotorhomes.

Fred and Stamar thanks for the replies that knocks one question down no head gasket recall now all I need to know is

what I can expect to pay in parts for a 5 lug to a 6 lug axle and if they are still available

and if you guys think this is a decent deal or not, I love projects like this but I don't love nightmares you know

I'll do some more reading Fred and I can't agree more there is a ton of info on this forum I love it

I've never seen particle board in the framing of dolphins. Finding the full floating axle might be fun but certainly doable. If you don't get the springs with it make sure e-brake lines are good, get U bolts & plates. It is a job but not difficult. Good luck.

Parts for the 1-Ton conversion could cost you anywhere from $200 to $1500. It's all a question of how lucky you get! I've seen them (rarely) for $200 on CL but that's very rare and if it's not local shipping would add a lot IF the seller even wants to get involved with shipping. $500-$600 seems more typical.

Your little '78 might be light enough to get away with single rear wheels with a 185R14 LR D tire while you locate a 1-Ton axle.

RHS and Derek thanks a ton for the replies that's good to know about the particle board, Thanks for the heads up and pricing for the rear axle, as for what I've read on the forum and this pdf

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf

if it's less the 18ft it should be ok according to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm only the 78 seabreeze was recalled from National RV who manufactures the dolphin. So I might be alright.

Has the general rule of thumb been to to just go ahead and replace them no matter what?

Is 1500 a fair price for a 78 with 75k on it?

Are there any other tips or things you guys would recommend looking at before I buy?

PS Kudos to the forum you guys are awesome I rebuilt a trail 70 this fall and joined a forum and it was kind of funny how rude some of the responses were to my questions. I read a lot of forums but when your new to a forum it's sometimes difficult to know what to search for but this place is pretty clean and pretty simple

Before you loose sleep over the dully 1 ton rear end, find a place that can weight the vehicle (front and rear wheels separately) Truck stop, gravel pit, etc. Make this part of your purchase inspection.

Ods are good that your OK. Do as Derek says, If you have passenger car tires on there, get rid of them and get good quality light truck tires.

Check the usual stuff, water damage, appliances functional,

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for the info derek if the dolphin was only a 15' vs say an 18' or 21' seabreeze or any other model for that matter (I'm just guessing lengths of models) wouldn't that 3 to 6 less feet make it significantly lighter?

sounds good waiter I like that plan. Thanks all for the replies you helped a ton. Well I'm off to go check out a 78 dolphin I'll let you guys know if I end up being the proud owner and newest member of the toyota motorhome nation

Yes, if it is a short one, it will weigh less, thats why you should get it weighed, that way you'll know instead of guess.

I can guarantee you that it will be overweight for passenger car tires, get light truck tires and then you'll be well withing safety margins.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

OH YAH - Just remembered - make sure it doesn't have the fake dulies. these contributed to the problem rather than helped solve the problem. Your better off with a single light truck tire than you are the fake dullies.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Say hello to the newest owner of a toyota motorhome.

It's a pretty decent truck for the year, I paid a grand for it and you know I'm happy with that.

The tires are weird it did have the five lug axle but instead of dualies it had these super wide rear tires like a 245/60r14 and then the front were like 195r14 almost like the super singles that you see a ton of semi's driving around with instead of the duals.

The tires that were on it were trashed he had the spare on one side and it was missing like a good 10 cubic inches of tread so that the radials were exposed.

We drove it to a tire shop and they didn't having anything that would fit the rims with a high enough load rating so that we could drive it the three hours back home but they did have a trailer tire that would fit so we put that one on and limped it home. So first thing is to either locate a 6 lug axle or buy some tires.

What do I ask for when I start calling junk yards? do I ask if they have an toyota rv's with 6 lug axles? I heard about one guy using a GM axle? I'll do some searching on the forum.

Thanks for your guys help I like having a few projects around and this will be a fun one

Just buy some rims for the back and throw these on it. With a weight rating of 2271 I'm thinking they will carry your rig. Should get it weighed but the previous owners did the right thing by installing bigger rear tires instead of keeping the fake dually. I would have the bearings replaced and the axle inspected but going with single wheels is way easier than installing a new axle.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/maxxis/205%252F00-14+maxxis+ue-168+%28n%29+bravo+series+109%252F107q.html

If you weight you vehicle and it's even close to this max wt I would put 15 inch rims on it and go the the larger size tire. This company makes them with D load rating for 15 inch too

Linda S

If you decide to go with upgraded axle I found 3 on www.carpart.com. (I do'nt know how to put the direct listing on like you guys do)some times it is almost harder to find the 4 wheels also. The last one I paid $1200 for axle & 4 wheels the one before $500 for axle $300 for 4 wheels from different yards. Its kind of confusing to find on carpart but take time you can find it

Looking at the 1978 Dolphin brochure (below) you'll see that it was 'fashionable' (Chinook did the same, I think) to install on the rear '10" wide L-60 tires'. I'd assume the rim is actually ~7.5"-8" wide, the tread 10". Of course L-60x14" tires have gone the way of the Dodo bird. A modern equivalent would be a 245/60x14" which are pretty scarce. BFG has one that's rated at 1675lb (@ 35psi), close to 'our' 185R14 LR C (1600lb) or LR D (1875lb). Though they're not 'foolies', the rims are heavily offset (deep dished) so will probably load up the bearings almost as bad as foolies.

GVWR is listed at 4600lbs. ASSUMING it's not overloaded and ASSUMING that ~2/3 of the 4600lb is on the rear axle, that's ~1500lb/tire.

As before, get it weighed.

1978 Dolphin Micro Mini.pdf