Dumb Water Heater Winterizing Question

CountryRoads

OK, I have what I think is a dumb question. I bought my 1991 Warrior from a local dealer and they did the winterization. I picked it up yesterday and the tech who did the walk through told me to leave the plug out of the water heater because.... it's good for air to circulate.

I've not seen anything anywhere that claims your water heater needs to be aired out and it seems to me it would be a very nice winter home for a family of mice. Is there anyone who thinks this is a good idea?

CR

If the ran antifreeze through the water system, you do not need to leave the plug out. When I installed my new Atwood water heater, the instruction manual said to leave a little antifreezer in the water heater. I agree with you that it would be a great place for vermin to get in and would be very difficult to clean out. I would not leave the plug out myself.

I agree with Bob however some don't run antifreeze through water heaters to prevent coating/sludging. (Though I always run it through mine.) if they just drained it of water leaving the plug out helps keep it fresh from mildewey smelling spring hot water is all.

I ran antifreeze through mine last year and had no problem getting the system cleaned up this spring. I just ran a

lot of water through the system first and then some stuff from the RV joint that is suppose to freshen the system.