Newbie Wants to Buy Toyota Dolphin

Tim Buktu

Hi all,

I'm full timing it in my van for several years now. I've gotten used to living with no running water and electric. My rig is basically just a bed and place to store my things. Simple. But not very comfortable.

On the upside I don't have water tanks or appliances to worry about. I push my travels so there are occasional freezing night temps. I go to the gym or use couchsurfing to shower. I winter in warm areas and head north in summer.

I have a 1992 Dodge Ram B250. It's well maintained. But needs it's second rebuilt transmission. With 121,000 I'm thinking this may be time to upgrade to a new rig.

A friend turned me onto the Toyota Dolphin. I'm also learning about some other popular models: Winnebago, Sunrader, Itasca, etc. Everyone seems to have a favorite floorplan. I was unaware of the debate over fiberglass vs. aluminum body. It seems to be mostly about leaks and noise.

I'd prefer a V4 for the better gas mileage, but a V6 would be OK. Though I am concerned with statements here that the V6 is less reliable??

Well maintained, how many miles can I expect from a Toyota V6 engine?

I was originally considering mid 1980s models around $5k. But I've looked at some well maintained 1990s models around $10k.

I'd like your opinions on a V6 1992 Dolphin with 102k miles on it.

Owner asking $10k, but would probably take $8k. Well maintained mechanically with lots of extras. No leaks that I can tell. But high mileage concerns me. I put on about 15k miles a year. Would I be lucky to get another 10 years of use? What would my maintenance costs be?

Would like to hear any and all thoughts. Thanks.

post-6523-0-11988100-1351487452_thumb.jp

post-6523-0-92302900-1351487465_thumb.jp

post-6523-0-39071900-1351487485_thumb.jp

post-6523-0-60839700-1351487509_thumb.jp

i owned an 89 b250 camper van and it reliably broke down every 1000 miles.

it got 10 mpg. no matter what. it looked nice. I could tow a car with it.

if you get a toyhome youll be blown away by the fact that its huge and it gets better gas mileage and never breaks down.

its un fortunately heavier too harder to drive.

i dont use any of the rv things in mine other than the stove. i have used the sink to put water in the radiator. i do store more stuff in it. more clothes

that one has what i think is the worst floorplan the rear bath

Check for the usual stuff- Water damage - appliances working - V6 head recall complied with.

8-10 k seems reasonable and the mileage seems OK for this year.

Expenses would be bringing vehicle maintenance up to date, if needed, i.e. belts, hoses, plugs filters, brakes, grease, etc.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i would definitely prefer the 80s models for 5k considering.

the mileage will be similar either way and the 22re is more reliable.

the newer ones have kind of upgrades too them and are worth some more but a considerably worse deal.

the most reliable vehicle is cash in your pocket. In this case you have some easy math, buy one for 5k, and then 10 years from now get another one for 5k ( only in 10 years you might be getting a sprinter van ) and youre going to make it farther than 10k invested today in a barely newer one.

I think not being biased that 85-88 are the best years for dolphins. 22re, air bags 6 lug rear wheels.

I will give you my 2 cents...

I'd go with the V6. I'm not a big fan of that engine, but mine has lasted 3 owners with out any problems. When i bought it I drove it very fast to keep up with traffic from San Diego to LA, (75 MPH) It had lots of power and keep-up just fine. However, I had a hart-attack when i noticed how fast my gas was disappearing... :) I slowed down to 60~65 for the rest of the trip along the I5 north to Vancouver, BC. and was surprised how much longer the tank lasted... (I did that trip in 2006)

I have owned and worked on many Toyota engines, The 22-RE is a great engine. It has it's own problems but is very easy to work on. I would prefer this engine over the V6 on any stock truck. I would however never take it on a 4runner, I have owned both, V6 and I4 4Runners. The extra weight makes a huge difference to me. The V6 had no problems in traffic or keeping up going up hill, but the 4 cyl 22-RE struggled most of the time. The millage was better, but that was it. I would never use this engine on the heavy RV's there is no comparison. There have been many happy Toyota owners with the V6 (3VZ) and many un-happy too. I have never had any problems with mine, but I am not the average owner either, I am anal over keeping it in top shape.

The 92 above looks great, 102K is really nothing for that engine. Ask to see any records, ask how many owners, take it for a drive and really punch it. One thing I notice over the years, you can not hide the problems of a Toyota engine. If there is a problem it will show-up while driving it. (ether it works or it doesn't) Listen for the valves ticking, the driver-side rear is a problem area, look for a clean engine bay, 102K on a 20 year old engine bay should be fairly clean. If it is caked in black sticky sludge, walk away. This will tell you there have been leaks that were ignored for a long time, not a good thing. But if it is just dusty. this is good. (If it is too clean, check it out further to) Check the oil, is it clean, does it smell burnt? Same goes for the trans fluid. What color is the brake fluid? Crawl under it, grab everything you can and shake it... any thing lose? any deep oil sludge on the under-side of the skid plate?

I'm not going into the different coach makers, I feel that are mostly all the same. They all leak somewhere by now, it's how you deal with the leaks when they show up that counts. Try and look at as many as you can, try and drive them all too.

Good Luck! :-)

Andrew.

:

It would be better to compare two specific toyhomes to give you a better idea rather than a theory.

but in theory if there is a 5k toyhome with the 22re and 100k miles in your market.

spending 5k more to get one thats newer with the v6, and the nicer interior and maybe the generator.... lets say dolphin to dolphin

Id say get the 5k one hand over foot.

the v6 upgrade(?) downgrade.....is not worth 5000$. Its worth more but not what the market is asking. Thats not 5k well spent, youre way better off with 5k cash. or even buying two toyhomes.

the auto shifter on the tree is nice too. probably has r134a I think too.

I could make a case that my 85 is actually a lot better than that one and should be worth more. But Im like that. Mine has lower miles and will last longer.

I dont know why the 89-93 models have such a high end in price. I think its because big pocket buyers overspend to get the top end. It might be because they are rarer too.

MY 2 cents

I have had both. If you are doing a lot of driving the V6 may be worth the extra. If you are not in a hurry or not doing that much long trips the 4 cyl will work fine for you. There is not really any difference in the interiors just find the layout you like. Look at as many as you can. Toy owners usually love to show you there units. When you see one stop & talk. I do not really like driving the 4 cyl. auto just a personal thing I guess. They all need maintenance if you keep up any make will work if you are behind & rot is present sunraders have some real pluses. I have noticed that the people who feel comfortable doing their own maintenance have different attitude than people who have to hire it done, certainly understandable that may be why opinions differ at times.

the v6 is worth the total cost of the motorhome again? I dont follow you. Its worth twice as much to get the same thing with the v6 to you?

all data shows it will actually be on the road less time even.

I get about 18 mpg if I drive conservatively in my B250 6 Cylinder Dodge. 10 mpg? You must have had a V8. It's been fairly reliable save typical repairs on a 20 year old vehicle (catalytic converter, transmission, oil leaks, starter, alternator, belts, hoses, etc.)

Another question for you guys. How much are the extras worth? I've come across some interesting extras but have no idea what their value is:

-80 watt solar panel (two of these)

-house batteries (2 AGM)

-transmission cooler

-CB Radio

-Ham Radio

-Multidirectional antenna (Winegard)

-Dash & seat covers

-Custom shelving

-LED TV on wall mounted swinging bracket arm

-RV Cover

-Window Covers

-Bike rack

-Honda suitcase Generator 1000

What's the value for each of these or total added value?

i think most of them have a transmission cooler.

its hard to put a value on extras in a used car purchase. It would cost you hundreds to add that stuff to one that doesnt have it. but to the value of the car its almost nothing, just something to tip the scales if other things are equal.

custom shelving is often going to detract.

if that thing has a honda e2000ui you scored a nice generator... expensive lil bugger too. the 80 watt solars are worth approximately $200+ used, batteries are worth $10 in recycling, HAM radio is priceless, LED tv is $100 used... everything else is bleh

so... I'd say assuming its a e2000ui honda suitcase...

the "extras are worth at least $1010.

How much are the extras worth?

I'd say the extras are just that... Extra, you usually never get the value back out.

the v6 is worth the total cost of the motorhome again? I dont follow you. Its worth twice as much to get the same thing with the v6 to you?

all data shows it will actually be on the road less time even.

Can you even find a 4 Cyl RV made after 1989 truck model year? I've seen the 1 ton Toyota C&C model up to 94 in the 4 Cyl, but can't recall ever seeing an RV... ?

-80 watt solar panel (two of these) -- when parked would help keep the batteries charged. living full time this could be big for you. to do yourself with all the controllers etc, $200 = +

-house batteries (2 AGM)-- should give you long periods of usage between charging, especially with solar keeping them charged. if batteries are young and good maybe $150 =+

-transmission cooler-- good thing in the long run.

-CB Radio== to me worth nothing, i wouldn't end up using. maybe sell it? probably not worth much.

-Ham Radio-- to me nothing, other than what i might sell it for.

-Multidirectional antenna (Winegard)-- full timing if close to broadcasts and you watch tv?

-Dash & seat covers== probably makes it look nice. value? personal.

-Custom shelving== if your stuff fits better than none then worth whatever you want to put on it.

-LED TV on wall mounted swinging bracket arm-- bracket costs as much as tv, $100-$200 = +

-RV Cover== if you use it, new covers can be $200 +

-Window Covers== not a lot, can create insulated window covers pretty cheap, but if used nice to have them already

-Bike rack== i would probably use it, would you? $50-$100 = +

-Honda suitcase Generator 1000== if eu1000, lightly used, powerful enough to watch tv, charge batteries, no enough to run air or microwave. could run small electric heater. $300-$500 used.

extra stuff is nice and be very valuable if used. extra stuff is also more stuff to quit working. :o)

i have the v6. i drove both 4 and 6 before buying. even though it will take more to maintain because of timing belt and valves, i'm glad i have the more powerful and quiet motor. drive both and see which feels more comfortable for you. i've read on this site and others that the v6 if well maintained and serviced and not abused can go 200,000+ miles. sounds like the 4's can do even better. no guarantees on either, i met a guy that had roughly 200,000 on his 4 cyl unit, dophin, he was on his third engine and second transmission. i'm sure he didn't take care of any of the motors and probably abused them. he had made two coast to coast trips.

timing belt and valve issues can be costly. if the timing belt has been replaced, depending on what it was replaced with could be good for another 20-40,000 miles. originals were suggested to be changed at 60.000 miles, some replacements claimed life of 100,000 miles. saw one posting where someone claimed he had 120,000 on original timing belt. the engine is a non-interference motor so if it does break it just dictates that it be replaced, you don't get to plan when or where it's done. sounds to me like the valves don't give you warning sounds as they tighten instead of loosen and should be done done based on mileage intervals. have read, but don't know for sure, checking compression can show valves need to be adjusted before one burns.

whatever you end up with i hope it meets your needs and turns out to be as reliable as you need it to be.

should be a good time to buy toyhome

i have a 1987 mini cruiser w/ 60,000 miles paid $2000 for it (will have to rebuild cab-over front left bed & seam rot)

my guess is around $600 to $700 to fix my self

other then that its in good sound shape

the 22re is a great engine and will get me where i wanna go

I will put a 3-core radiator to make sure she drinks enough water....

I'm very happy w/my toyhome yes it has water damage but for the $$ it is well worth it

plus gives me a project for the nice San Diego winter

Thanks for all the feedback. I offered $8,000 but was turned down. The owner says he will probably just keep it. I think he'd go for $9000. Will look for a 1986-89 4 Cylinder with lower miles I guess.

​Out of curiosity , if you are no longer interested in it , where is it located ?

should be a good time to buy toyhome

i have a 1987 mini cruiser w/ 60,000 miles paid $2000 for it (will have to rebuild cab-over front left bed & seam rot)

my guess is around $600 to $700 to fix my self

other then that its in good sound shape

the 22re is a great engine and will get me where i wanna go

I will put a 3-core radiator to make sure she drinks enough water....

I'm very happy w/my toyhome yes it has water damage but for the $$ it is well worth it

plus gives me a project for the nice San Diego winter

You would think with the news media crying how bad the economy is etc that it would be a buyers market on just about anything !

But on just about everything I look at they are very proud of their product or whatever they are selling.

Its just my Fiancee and myself now , her son is in college and out of the house , I have no kids of my own . I drive an 08 Chev Z71 4X4 and she drives a Toy FJ 4X4 both barely get 15 mpg . So we were in the market to find a small convertible car to putt around in and weekend get aways.

We started looking at used Mazda miatas , private party ones were really pieces of %$# , started looking at new ones , then started looking the Mini Coopers lurking in some Mini Cooper / Miata forums and read about all the problems the older ones were/are having , so started looking at new ones both local dealerships had the added market proudly taped right next to the MSRP sticker...

You can build a Mini to over $40K + real fast !!! :omg:

So then we started looking at MH's - Toy MH and like the post I started "Are there any decent ones left"

I can't find any that are even close to what the owner thinks its worth , a couple just shrugged their shoulders and chuckled when I pointed out the typical dry-rot , mushy floors, cracked non LT rotted tires , badly stained ceilings etc...

This passed weekend we went to look at the one rust bucket I posted up on and on our way back we stopped by a RV place they have a 98 Chinook 21ft course my Fiancee fell in love with it , 29K miles on it looked clean, but needed the usual tires replaced . Everything else looked clean , BUT they only wanted $29,750.00 for it. I did the NADA booked it out at $20,803.00 so that was a lost cause , they wouldn't move off the ""No Haggle"" price of $29,750.00 ...

Guess we'll just keep on looking....

Ya I don't recall there ever being a time when the media didn't say the economy was terrible. Dating back to reagan.

The recession ended in 09. Right now unless you're in california and nevada employment is high.

Id say overall the economy is at this moment stronger than its been since clinton. Housing prices rising,

What those do to affect the used car market actually don't matter. In a certain section people making money makes old cars worth less as they buy new. People buying houses can actually make motorhomes fall.

Btw I've got a bmw convertible I wouldn't mind getting rid of. I owned two miatas this year. I was actually suprised at what terrible gas mileage they got and id never get another one. Very reliable though

See my post #72 on the "Are there any decent ones left?" thread.

I love my Miata! I've owned my 96 Miata since 2000. It was an Alabama car. I store it winters, here in MN, so zero rust. I got 39mpg on a trip to the west coast. Just sayin..... If they weren't built for performance, they probably would get a lot more mpgs. But then they wouldn't be as much fun to drive. People tend to wind em out, which brings the fuel economy down. Awesome little sportscar that I'll be holding on to, for a long time. B)

Sorry about the topic diversion. Just had to tell you about my experience with my 96. :D

Those mpg are totally impossible, just sayin

I took a frewway trip in my 96 miata around 200miles and got under 30 mpg. Its the gearing.

39 is just not possible at all. That's 11 mpg above the epa list.

maybe he removed all of the interior plastics; seats trim and dash...2,317 lbs stock with 1 gallon gas... hmmm he would need to have lost 1000 lbs to pull that off. is that possible? perhaps he is a little person also...

:-)

I know how to compute mpgs. B)

It depends on how you drive. I had a 5 spd. I rarely drove over 60 mph on that trip. Used the backroads a lot. I wouldn't even own one, if the mpgs were that bad (under 30 mpg). If you've got a lead foot, the mid 30s ain't gonna happen. I'm not going to argue. I know what I've got. :P

Peace! :)

I don't get it. here is the same motorhome listed in Las vegas for 6500 bucks. See gray blanket on sofa seat, same.

http://lasvegas.crai...3297041172.html

Check and see if the number is the same as your calling. maybe a flipper snagged it and is trying to make some money quick. If you know how much he paid you have more barganing power

Linda S

No I'm wrong they are different but same mileage and oh well. Still looks like a deal in Vegas but posted long ago. probably gone

There are a million miata owners and none of them get over 30 mg.

Only 1.6 can get over 30 mpg.

I had one. Same year 5speed. Go to miata.net or something and ask can my miata get 39 mpg if I drive it really carefully....

There is no point in arguing there's pretty basic physics involved.

not to start a war...but I always laugh at some of the mileage per gallon the 6 cylinder toy home owners are claiming in here too for that matter while in the same breath saying they are driving 65 -75 mph. fun stuff.

I get between 13.5 and 16 mpg with my 84 Toyhome. The Miata 39 mpg was on one tankful. Top up, maybe with a tailwind and down hill, but factual. Usually get 35 or so on trips, otherwise.

No, I don't want to sell it. I've always wanted one & I plan to keep it for a long time. Just wanted you guys to know that they are great little roadsters. B)

Oh, yeah. If you go to Miata.net forum, they will tell you to hit the redline with each shift. Mpgs not so good, then. :(