• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today I fixed bathroom fan

I had to put a new switch I it

I could not believe the crap that came out of vent

it was full of nature...... :shit:

also put up the trim piece that goes on the left and right windows...looks a lot better..

post-6388-0-39442300-1365991308_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-30889400-1365991478_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-00154900-1365991571_thumb.jp

Karin,

How do you do a CAD drawing? Do you measure everything and then put those measurements into the computer? What program does this? Are you then able to get a working drawing that's to scale from the CAD drawing? You can see I don't know anything about the whole process. I guess it comes from doing everything "by eye" all these years...

John

Well, let's see...I replaced a missing marker light lens on the front, vacuumed out the interior and put all the crap away that I had spread around from the Winter. "Further" will be ready for the road after an oil change and lube job. The big Libby, Montana Pasture Pickin soiree' is coming up near the end of May so I gotta' get movin'! Seven days of campfires, all night music circles and over indulging can take it out of a person so I'd better be in shape.

New Radiator and Thermostat. Ordered my Weber 32/36 DGEV and fuel regulator....now I just need to bite the bullet on all the LCE Perfomance plates, plugs, etc. so I can get rid of the bird's-nest of vacuum lines and smog junk. Woo Hooo

I put in two more windows today, and this time put the butyl putty tape (grey) on the window instead of on the Sunradar outside wall . I watched a video about putting in windows and they put the butyl tape on the RV wall one eighth on an inch from the window cut out. I think these must be the directions for other than Sunradars. Putting it in the window channel worked much better. I may have to redo the big window again. Linda, did you get a chance to look on the rear window with the red handles??

Has anyone in California gone to a boat repair and had them fill in the front wrap around windows with fiberglass??? I have seen the thread about this, but do not know if it was done in California.

I live up in Arnold and the weather here in the mountains is gorgeous!!!! Get out there folks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I installed a new automatic water heater lp valve. The previous had failed and got stuck in the on position. One of the past owners installed a manual valve. I found the one I needed and ordered it! Here it is all finished up and working perfect.

JfkFqXT.jpg

Looks goood. How much storage space do you have, as in your stuff vs job vs cooking?

I hate duffel gags, been there and done that for too long and too many times. If you can give up some overhead bunk space I've seen where somebody built a small set of drawers that were about 12" deep and went up to the bottom of the front windows. He added a small rail to the top and had a no slip shelf for glasses, a glass of water, books and other comfort night time items.

Oh Kay, a gym bag or a carry on. Well good luck with your plans. At least nothings permanent you can always "fix" things after some time on the road.

Just offering a suggestion based on long experance and some other folks ideas. The deal is, you are the only one that you have to keep happy. So have fun and enjoy your Toy.

If your making any mistakes, it will become apparent during your shakedown trips. Maybe much later you will discover a better way of doing something and then you will "fix" your orginal design to be better, things just work that way. Its not just about duffle bags.

My dislike for duffel, gym, carry-on bags and in general lack of creature comforts is from living out of bags for months at a time in some god forsaken part.of the world, having to rig a fire hose and a billy pump to take a shower 2x a week using nasty smelly (but safe) water out of a rubber blivit for 15 + years. Now I consider roughing it when I have to rewatch a dvd cause I can't find a Redbox to get a new video.

Again you have to make you happy, not me. So good luck on your Toy.

P.S. there is never enough drawers or closet space,

Installed a new Kenwood stereo in a custom removable between the seat console (fabricated out of an inverted battery box) with dual 12v outlets and new speakers. Also topped off the new antifreeze from my desmog/weber carb conversion. Now she really "purrs like a tom cat in a meat house."

Here are some pics of my DIY console, made from a WallyWorld Battery Box, note the inverted handles (on the right of the box, below the sunglasses) PERFECTLY holds my Samsung Galaxy Note. I intend On cutting out the front squares to install a storage pocket as well. I got the dual 12v outlet at Oreilly's and simply screwed it in.

post-6543-0-14635400-1369764785_thumb.jppost-6543-0-27858600-1369764786_thumb.jp

Also, reinstalled my Bumper Propane Bracket with wingnuts so I can more quickly remove it should I need to access the rear compartment (which I can access from inside as well)

post-6543-0-99416200-1369764782_thumb.jppost-6543-0-15165700-1369764784_thumb.jp

Well I guess I can post here until I'm ready for a big update with photos in my own thread.

Over the weekend I:

Changed my transmission fluid. Not happy with the amount of metal shavings, but no chunks, so....hopefully ok.

Replaced: plugs, wires, disty cap & rotor, pcv valve and hose

Started on countertops

Put in the new cab carpet and ran speaker wires and started getting the old stereo out, and started figuring out how the new stereo and speakers fit.

Put up one ceiling panel (two more to go!).

Tried hard to change the rear diff oil, but can't get the drain bolt off...started rounding the corners so I stopped while I was ahead. Thinking of trying again with a cold chisel to see if I can knock it loose with that and a hammer.

I think that's it!

@MontanaChinook - Nice, be interested to see how you tackle the stereo (in-dash?). My shaft style stereo space in the dash was WAY too small to put a standard single DIN stereo in with out hacking the dash all to h***. I'm planning on putting a CB in that space instead.

Today: Bar Tender's Friend'd the roof and misc spots on the sides and hood. Then rinsed and waxed (I had washed it yesterday) the whole thing. Nice and purdy now.

• 3 weeks later...

Started a new thermostat, upper and lower radiator hose, radiator cap and drive belt project last Sunday. Noticed the water pump pulley had quite a bit of play.

So before I knew it, that project turned into a water pump, oil pump, fan clutch job in addition to the first stuff.

Got that done, filled up the radiator....and I guess the wrenching I did on the lower hose outlet of the radiator to get the old hose off was too much for the 35 year old metal. Fins on the lower drivers side were wet, and causing a steady drip on the ground.

So add a new radiator to the list!

I love old vehicles.

BUT, ill be driving up mountain passes in the hot summer this year with new hoses, cap, thermostat, water pump, fan clutch and radiator. Once the pain of the money I spent wears off, I'll be really happy about that.

Plus the new oil pump is a good thing.

Noticed the bearing on the smog pump pulley is making some noise, and a little rough when I spin it, too...so I might just pull that belt...going to be getting a weber at some point anyway.

Oh, and I got my new stereo stuff. I think maybe the pre 79 trucks had a little more space in the dash for stereos? I don't know. Mine had an aftermarket cassette player in it. Somebody did a little cutting, but did a very clean, nice looking job. My new CD player slid right in when I tested the fit.

When I actually get it all hooked up I'll take photos. I went a little overboard...four 6x9 speakers, and I even bought an amp...never had an amp before.

I don't know about others but the way the seats were made on my Itasca keep on sliding down when sitting on it.

I found some aluminum angles, cut to length, file sharp corners, some screws...done...no more seat sliding.

BTW, from the pictures, you may notice I put two horizontal pieces of wood to support the table when making into a bed. Most Toyota motor homes already had this feature but for some reasons, this feature was never made on the Itasca. Simple solution will provide a comfortable 5'-9" bed for one person

post-4406-0-61328000-1372085621_thumb.jp

post-4406-0-18419000-1372085640_thumb.jp

post-4406-0-16529400-1372085653_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Added a 100 ohm resistor across the rear left turn signal so I can use LED's for both left side turn signal. Worked well till I was putting the front together when the small bent portion of the ground side tab in the socket fell off. Managed to bend the end into a curve to contact the side of the bulb and now it's working. But I think long term I better get another socket. Hope this is an auto parts part and not a Dealer only part, we'll see.

vanman

• 2 weeks later...

Flushed radiator and engine block again. removed wood floor over cab ready for rebuild. very surprised at the basic construction. my fence that i built was better constructed. have a mate who is a whizz with wood. After this is sorting back wood panels. Any tips on how to remove fibreglass skin with minimium damage.

karincorbin

If its just a tab then a bit of sheet metal stuck on with silver solder might be a workable fix. Silver solder is strong stuff if you properly clean and flux the surfaces. It is not as if you are going to be taking the bulb in and out frequently and if you have LEDs it might never get taken out during your ownship time so a repair of that kind should last just fine.

Great idea, I had forgot about silver solder. I fixed it by cutting back the plastic holding the tab holder part in place, bending a curve at the end which projects out and contacts the base of the bulb better than the original tab.

Today hubby finished sealing the seams around the edge of the roof and the skylights and other roof penetrations that have leaked. I had started, but he enjoys calking. He also repaired a part of the roof that was lifting a little from the wall. I got the water heater going, finished the water 'system', checked out the furnace and cleaned every inch, nook and cranny of the inside. Hung new blinds on all four windows. I found said blinds at walmart for the ridiculous price of $3.89 each. Perfect fit, although they probably won't last more than a summer or two.

The furnace blower and thermostat work, it didn't light, but it probably will. I'm just not sure we will use it much. I've read here it reduces battery, and we usually are not where there are plug ins. We will probably use a little buddy when we take it out in the cold.

I've officially given up on the refrigerator too. Someday will send the cooling unit off to be fixed.

Lastly, and most difficult, I moved all the camping dishes, pots and pans, etc from my westfalia. Everything I took a load out, I whispered, "I still love you best". Westfalias are very sensitive you know..

• 3 weeks later...

I adjusted the valves on my '88 Escaper with a 22RE engine. I could not believe how easy it was. Everything was easy to get at and nothing was stuck. Not bad for a 25 year old truck. the idle is so much smoother and it starts easier.

I am hoping for better gas mileage or maybe a little more power.

Hopefully got overcab sealed before october storms arrive. will have to finish off inside next spring as 60+mph winds and chill factor of -10c or lower wont help for internal sealing and painting

Nice dream :-)

well let me say registration for old rvs is a touch more in oregon than california.

However a new rv like,,, i dont know lets dream about a sprinter, the registration fees are around 2000 a year in california vs around 220 in oregon and it lasts two years

this form of registration is unconstitutional actually. It is taxation without approval by the people.

california also suspends your registration if your insurance isnt up to date. This is also unconstitutional

the price difference isnt just the taxes, everything is way cheaper in oregon too.

Gas is usually 40cents cheaper

Its in general the least livable state. Definitely the home to the most people making lots of money but having nothing.

Gee. I recently acquired my 87' Dolphin and had it tagged here in Mississippi. It cost me $25 for the tag and that is for a LIFETIME. I'll never buy another tag for this vehicle. It qualifies for an 'antique' tag (over 25 years old).

Also, gasoline is $3.08 per gallon at Sams Club in Gulfport today.

Edited by toyohome

I started to repair major rot on my 86 Odyssey I bought last year. Camped in a couple times in Northern Cal when the siding on the cab fell off on the way home. Thank goodness for duck tape. When I bought it I knew it had some repairs it needed. More of just up grades. I have done house repair but never on something like this. I have been reading on this forum for the last year, watching youtube videos. So hopefully I can get this thing back together. I have posted some pictures of the rip out so far. I would appricate any advise and guidance.

Edited by LizL

make templates of everything before you start rebuild

try to use old corner molding .. if not you will have to cut and bend molding..

looks like your getting into to rebuild pretty good!

I like 3m 5200 for caulk

good luck on rebuild!!