The what did you do to your toyhome today thread

My coleman roof AC had 4 long bolts that squished the AC to the roof and were located in the 4 corners of the AC roof hole. The "seal" on mine was just foam weatherstripping shouldnt be a problem to just lift off after unbolting..

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replies will hopefully attempt this next week on my days off.

Thanks for replies will hopefully attempt this next week on my days off.

Installed hardwood floors yesterday

will finish up today

so much better then ugly carpet..

had to cut off seatbelt bolts too rusted other then that not too much trouble

so far so good....

post-6388-0-35233100-1398797627_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-71029200-1398797726_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-66111900-1398797780_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-94876400-1398798097_thumb.jp

Nothing as snow is forcast to return :-(

Thought with 16 hours of daylight (next couple of months goes to 20 hours) i would be able to sort body work with view to painting it before winter. Looks like i missed summer lol.

Hi

as weather has been kind today. started to strip out rear wall rot lots of it. also got paint with fibreglass strands in it to paint over cracks and holes until i can get round to finishing rear wall and resealing cab over windows. also my lsbv bar i have screwed to floor to increase rear braking.

This thread is getting enormous. If you are doing an interesting project that might help someone in the future it would be much better if you started a new thread so others can find it. If you do a search and the info is in here they get to search through 30 or more pages to find your good info. Fine for a quick update but stuff you want others to have easy access to should be in your own thread

Linda S

Hi linda

can you guide me how to start a thread on my rebuild and updating my toy

thanks

dave

Hi linda

can you guide me how to start a thread on my rebuild and updating my toy

thanks

dave

Go here the group main page

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

Click on the category you want to post in. Then look on the upper right hand side and click on start new topic. Then post away. Give your topic a name so people know what they are looking at. If you don't like how it turned out delete it and try again

Linda S

Thanks Linda

At Karen, I have the same problem with my front curtain rod. Not using the old plastic stuff. I hope you can post some pictures after you're done. I need some visual instruction.

Thanks.

I may go this route someday...but the Chinooks aren't really set up the same way as most other motorhomes. I had my friend who did my curtains and upholstery make a couple "privacy curtains", one for the back window and one to go between the cab and coach, which just velcro on, and store wherever when I'm not using them. But the velcro setup is definitely not perfect, and even the velcro specifically for vinyl and plastics doesn't stick so well, especially when it really starts heating up.

Still better than nothing...And I only use them now and then, rarely, like last night when I was reduced to sleeping in a Denny's parking lot...

Hi been working on back wall of my 21ft dolphin. not as bad as i feared but had some interesting surprises. the wooden frame is rotten but plywood covering shows no sign of damp. now working out how much wood i will need for reconstruction. Whole of bathroom and closet will be remodelled ie moving toilet away from rear window.

Hi

had to take toy in today for. UK annual mot test. tested items are brakes wipers emissions tyres steering etc etc and corrsion. total of 75 items tested. a legal requirement for all vehicles over 3 years old. for 2nd year running passed 1st time. :-) :-) :-)

Oh yes. very interesting to watch.

Big Spring tune-up today. Replaced master brake cylinder, bled brakes, adjusted valves, inspected timing chain guides, new valve cover gasket, oil change with new high cap filter, new air cleaner, new plugs, new distributor cap and rotor, all new belts. Bought a new PCV valve but couldn't seem to get the old one out of the valve cover - anyone else have a problem with this? She starts on the first key turn now and runs smooth as silk. Here's to another 155,000 miles!

I reinforced the battery box with left over strapping from my water-poop tank install. Cut off and soldered new battery and charging ends. Cleaned all the ground wires. Installed group 29 battery. Now off to the Kinetic Grand Champion Sculpture races in Arcata, Ca. And do some crabbing for dinner.

I attempted to remove the refrigerator today as it hasn't worked for a while, pretty much had to completely disassemble it inside. They must have built the body around the appliances, luckily the one replacing it goes through the door.

Ahhh hindsite a wonderful thing Derek, replaced it with a domestic compressor fridge/freezer from currys, can run it off electric hook up or from 12v via a 300watt inverter and it's very quiet. But nice to have the larger freezer.

Whew

In the last week or so.

Water heater puzzle solved

Heater warmed up and running quietly

Two water line leaks fixed

Grey water tank valve cleaned and both extended and turned around. We used to have to crawl under camper to attach hose and struggle to slide valve open. The stuck handle pulled toward front of rv. All better!

Entire rv shined up with fiberglass restorer and wax.

Replaced rubber trim in metal track.

New mirrored medicine chest

ALL I WANT TO DO IS WORK ON, DRIVE, GO AWAY IN MY SUNRADER!!

worse addiction I've ever had

Spent all day removing spare wheel mounting bolts from back wall of my dolphin 21ft. Now i can continue rebuilding rear of toy replacing rotten frame.

I installed a set of Bilstein shocks on the front of my Escaper today. I ordered them from SD Truck Suspension on Thursday and they arrived today (Tuesday.) The old shocks were Toyota parts (stamped Toyota) so they could have been original. That would make them 27 years old. When I started the project, I thought it would be difficult to get the old shocks removed. I sprayed every bolt with PB Blaster, (there are 3 on each shock, total of 6) Today I sprayed them again with Blaster and let them soak some more. Next I sprayed them with a product called FREEZE OFF. I then heated all bolts with a torch, let them cool, and then used Freeze Off again. While the bolts were still very cold, I used an impact driver set on low power and the bolts all pop-up. Every bolt came loose. I went out and bought a lottery ticket after having that much luck.

The total job took about 2 hours. I has extremely happy with the job and the time it took to get it done.

So, encouraged by all the posts in this thread, I embarked on a couple of brake projects on our newly acquired '87 Odyssey. Front pads were a snap! It's fun working on a Toyota that hasn't been goober'd by a PO that should have left well enough alone.

Next, the master cylinder that had a small leak at the power booster. Checked the new one for clearance to the power assist servo, mounted it, hooked up the brake lines. Got my better half to be my "brake bleed buddy". Bled the rear cylinders one at a time so we could have a wheel on the ground at all times. All that weight makes me nervous. Bled the right front then the left front. Then I saw it... a drip, drip, drip from the front of the master cylinder!

It was coming from around the fitting that the front brake lines connect to. Nothing would stop the leak. Grrr! Don't they test these things? What has happened to quality control?

The local parts house exchanged it no questions asked, as they should! They just shrugged and said,"Yeah, they do that sometimes." But we are out much time, having to reinstall, re-bleed all the lines, wrestle the wheels off and on again, etc. Plus a quart of brake fluid wasted. Well, I bet we have the cleanest brake lines of any '87 in the county!

Enough ranting. The test ride went well. More stopping power now; I suspect there was air in the rear lines as the front pads were almost worn out but the rear shoes don't show much wear at all.

Happy Trails,

Ken in Tucson

Removed roof top air con unit what a weight estimate about 30kg or 66lb. not a difficult job but found out the alloy roof seems to of strecthed ? Ummm another prob to sort. thinking of using fire proof expanding foam to take up slack and act as an insulator as no insulation in roof. is it normal to have no insulation in roof.

We bought a small portable house air conditioner back in 2011 when we were going to Oysoyoos, B.C., as it has a reputation for being very hot.

This unit can sit on the floor under the dinette table while travelling and on the table when in operation.

There is a window insert that can be adapted for the sliding window, so the 4" diameter hose can suck out the hot air.

As it turned out we didn't need it in Osoyoos, but we did use it while in Ontario in 2012, a lot! Bought it at Home Depot for under $300. Great deal and it doesn't ruin the roof.