Dumb question probably: Why does this thing have a generator?

JackP

The guy I bought the 1983 New Horizon from asserted this one is freshly rebuilt, and there's cause to believe he's telling the truth. It's not bolted down and all the wiring is disconnected. But after getting it home, lifting it enough to see behind it, [feels as though it weighs 100#] I found myself asking myself what the function of it is with regards to the overall MH.

Is the generator just there to provide power for the AC unit?

There's what appears to be 100# of refrigeration AC mounted on the sagging roof. The guy claims it's more-or-less new, and it appears to be. But it's a lot of weight up there, and I've lived a lot of years without AC the last decade-or-so. Thinking of pulling it off there, plugging the hole before doing a major re-sealing/coating job on the roof.

If all that generator does is power the AC I'm wondering whether I mightn't live without it, as well. The only thing I can think of that might justify a generator of that size unless it's doing something else, would be operating power tools I might be carrying with me. Which I might consider important enough to justify it.

Thoughts, observations, experiences invited. Thanks in advance. Jack

Yeah the A/C is heavy and most roofs sag you can deal with it fairly easy the opening is 14X14 same size as a standard vent. If you don't need 120 volt power then the generator is of no use and if it runs well it's worth quite a few bucks.

Yeah the A/C is heavy and most roofs sag you can deal with it fairly easy the opening is 14X14 same size as a standard vent. If you don't need 120 volt power then the generator is of no use and if it runs well it's worth quite a few bucks.

Thanks Maineah. By 'standard vent' are you referring to standard motor home vent, or a vent I might find at a Home Base, Loew's, etc? As an aside, with your personal experience in these matters, would you be inclined to think I'll be wishing I'd put in a vent some hot summer night, as opposed to just plugging the hole with a flat surface?

I'm trying to read nuance into what you said, and none might have been intended, I reckons.

Thanks, JackP

well in your case it may only be hooked up to the ac.

A very common 2nd use would be to hook up a microwave.

Good point. Thanks. Maybe having a plug up there and an option of using a microwave, toaster oven or electric drill would be worth putting up with the noise of the generator and the weight of carrying it, assuming I might want to have the power when I'm not connected to electricity off the grid.

I'm obliged for your input.

JackP

Standard 14x14 vent from rv place will fill hole. I recommend putting a vent in, cant have enough ventilation. I took out my genny, ac, heater and hot water heater. At home i dont have microwave or coffee maker so this justified it. Your lifestyle will dictate weather you need it. Hey maybe if you sold ac and genny you could use $ for springs!

Standard 14x14 vent from rv place will fill hole. I recommend putting a vent in, cant have enough ventilation. I took out my genny, ac, heater and hot water heater. At home i dont have microwave or coffee maker so this justified it. Your lifestyle will dictate weather you need it. Hey maybe if you sold ac and genny you could use $ for springs!

85mirage: Thanks. All worth pondering. If I can find someone wants the AC I'll almost certainly sell it. Might get enough to buy the vent, anyway. I'm going to think long and hard about the generator, though, before I dispose of it. I can't imagine running it to run a microwave in the woods, but having it available to operate power tools is a possibility too pregnant to shrug off without more consideration.

I do a good bit of mineral prospecting when I'm somewhere real rocks exist, and I'm bad about improvising impromptu dry-washers, sluiceboxes, shaker tables and whatnot. Thanks for the thoughts. Gracias, JackP

JackP,

I removed my roof AC recently and haven't missed it at all. I installed a standard 14" x 14" RV roof vent in its place and the defference in the amount of light let in by the roof vent is amazing. Also there's a few more inches of headroom in the middle of the coach as well.

I carry a few power tools with me but they're all battery operated and easily rechargeable using a standard, 12 volt cigarette lighter type of socket. Some of the newer tools are 18 volt or more and won't charge using the lighter socket but the older tools, available for very cheap at pawn shops and flea markets, work just fine. I've attached a photo of the interior as it looks today with the new center roof vent installed.

John

post-2678-0-55464500-1345988473_thumb.jp

JackP,

I removed my roof AC recently and haven't missed it at all. I installed a standard 14" x 14" RV roof vent in its place and the defference in the amount of light let in by the roof vent is amazing. Also there's a few more inches of headroom in the middle of the coach as well.

I carry a few power tools with me but they're all battery operated and easily rechargeable using a standard, 12 volt cigarette lighter type of socket. Some of the newer tools are 18 volt or more and won't charge using the lighter socket but the older tools, available for very cheap at pawn shops and flea markets, work just fine. I've attached a photo of the interior as it looks today with the new center roof vent installed.

John

post-2678-0-55464500-1345988473_thumb.jp

Thanks John. I'm impressed. I'd been toying with the idea of just rigging a skylight using a piece of an old shower-door cut to size, but I'm convinced now I'll need to put out the money for a vent, though it runs against my grain. Gracias, JackP

Im the opposite I dont have one and would buy yours for 100$

stamar: Sounds like a plan if you're in Texas nearby, or if the shipping costs wouldn't kill one of us. Gracias, JackP

ya i think it would kill us im in california.

texas is where that ac seems most valuable.

Id actually rarely use it here its more for a burning man type of thing.

actually ideally one day if I wanted to spend money Id get a 12 volt ac system , 9000 btu like is on a modern fiberglass trailer and have it run off the coach battery.

that seems like the best fit for a toyhome and its about 900 brand new.

The generator basic job is to run the microwave and A/C, if you don't have them you sure don't need the generator.

What make is the Roof AC and the generator? Maybe we can give you a guesstimate on value.

Replacing the A/C with a powered fan vent is very usable in certain climates. Check http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/rv-ventilator.htm

or http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/62466.htm. Think of them as examples of super plush and basic.

Adding an additional coach battery and a 100w solar set would let you operate the fan for an extended boondocking season, if you plan driving some each then just another battery would be fine.

After spending a month in MS and GA this summer, all I have to say is "Can I have more A/C please".

ya i think it would kill us im in california.

texas is where that ac seems most valuable.

Id actually rarely use it here its more for a burning man type of thing.

actually ideally one day if I wanted to spend money Id get a 12 volt ac system , 9000 btu like is on a modern fiberglass trailer and have it run off the coach battery.

that seems like the best fit for a toyhome and its about 900 brand new.

Thanks stamar: My thought [and hope] is that the four felines and I will be spending the remainder of our lives somewhere between the Davis Mountains in Texas and not-too-far beyond the Continental Divide, in New Mexico. Evaporation AC works well in that humidity, but I've been almost 20 years without any AC, both in NM and where I am now in the Texas Hill Country. If I'm pioneer enough to keep living without AC I'd like myself better, simply because it's one more expense I hope I can manage without. Gracias, JackP

The generator basic job is to run the microwave and A/C, if you don't have them you sure don't need the generator.

What make is the Roof AC and the generator? Maybe we can give you a guesstimate on value.

Replacing the A/C with a powered fan vent is very usable in certain climates. Check http://www.pplmotorh...-ventilator.htm

or http://www.pplmotorh...vents/62466.htm. Think of them as examples of super plush and basic.

Adding an additional coach battery and a 100w solar set would let you operate the fan for an extended boondocking season, if you plan driving some each then just another battery would be fine.

After spending a month in MS and GA this summer, all I have to say is "Can I have more A/C please".

Good idea and info. I'm grateful and will visit the links to ponder on. At the moment I'm thinking I can't spend more money than I have already saved, which ain't a lot by modern standards. The overwhelming portion of that will vanish into the springs issue, and gas stations between here and somewhere west of here. Gracias, JackP

I removed my AC unit. Sold it for $200, installed a fantastic fan (14" vent with 3 speed fan) here is a link: http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4749

Sounds like you could use the generator... but to the right person, it could be worth big $ to you.

If the AC and generator have been re-built, they should sell fast.

Andrew.