Propane - Not keeping up with the Joneses?

Gary_M

My 87 Conquest has a Manchester tank, I believe 9.2 gallon. None of my propane appliances were lighting and though the cabin LP meter was showing 3/4 full there was no propane in the tank. I took the motorhome down to the local 76 station and they were able to refill it. 7.7 gallons is what it took. When the kid first hooked it up he said it's not working. I told him to open the outage valve on top all the way and try again. He reconnected it and it worked. He indicated that newer homes are all automatic and he never filled these types before.

Have you all run into this situation? Should I consider going to a different setup?

post-6384-0-69137600-1345840728_thumb.jp

high my frend has a fleetwood ford 83 tioga had this system but his was a button you held in did not work could not fill the tank. you can change the fittings over . the rv place sold the kit but would not install it . consistes of a new plain filler neck and a common bleader screw. you tear off all that little tubing and unscrew the filler neck put in the new one take off the small tube going into the tank and replace with the common bleader screw kit. 50 dollors i think . that was an old system .seen two of them both broke. but yours still works. those perment mount tanks can run 400 dollors. but no need to replac the whole tank. i fixed his with the kit. now works great.

why use a complex thing like that with all that stuff . i dont think real common. and his tank guage not effected in any way works great all that little tube stuf gone licued level stuff replaced with a simple filler neck and a simple vaper bleader screw. but yours did work. if it quits you can not fill it. never heard of automatic just loosen bleader screw and fill turn off propane close bleeder screw.

but yours did work. if it quits you can not fill it. never heard of automatic just loosen bleader screw and fill turn off propane close bleeder screw.

Exactly! I never heard of an automatic too. If it aint broke why fix it. ;-) I'll just be ready to instruct these newbies when they tell me it doesn't work.

Any good RV place worth it's salt will have the fitting for the horizontal saddle tank and should know you need to open the bleeder to fill it. They are good systems and have worked for many decades. Even new OBD BBQ tanks require you to open the bleeder to fill them.

If I saw someone scratching their head, or looking confused trying to fill a tank, I'd just say no thank you, and move on to another place. That is before I went propane free in my Toyhome. No hassles, no worries of leaks, or maybe blowing up from a rear collision crushing the bottle or busting the valve off. No searching to buy the very particular make and model replacement parts. No more leveling the temperamental fridge, or trying to light the pilots, or trying to find someplace to fill the bottle when traveling.

The big benefit to me was losing all the weight of the tank plus its 30 pounds of gas, and all the newfound storage space and lost weight of those propane appliances. Next, I’m going to remove the tonnage of my Dometic gas electric fridge and put in a small AC/DC unit I purchased.

I fully realize the decision I made is not one everyone feels comfortable about. It was a good one for my plans by going 100% electric and all has worked out awesome! Be careful out there; fill safely with the correct procedures and by competent attendants. Gas isn’t a friendly mishap, and rarely has a good outcome when something goes awry, Happy travels!

If I saw someone scratching their head, or looking confused trying to fill a tank, I'd just say no thank you, and move on to another place. That is before I went propane free in my Toyhome. No hassles, no worries of leaks, or maybe blowing up from a rear collision crushing the bottle or busting the valve off. No searching to buy the very particular make and model replacement parts. No more leveling the temperamental fridge, or trying to light the pilots, or trying to find someplace to fill the bottle when traveling.

The big benefit to me was losing all the weight of the tank plus its 30 pounds of gas, and all the newfound storage space and lost weight of those propane appliances. Next, I’m going to remove the tonnage of my Dometic gas electric fridge and put in a small AC/DC unit I purchased.

I fully realize the decision I made is not one everyone feels comfortable about. It was a good one for my plans by going 100% electric and all has worked out awesome! Be careful out there; fill safely with the correct procedures and by competent attendants. Gas isn’t a friendly mishap, and rarely has a good outcome when something goes awry, Happy travels!

To each there own I spend too much time away from any thing that remotely resembles power lines my gas fridge and stove uses a lot less propane then a generator uses gasoline to provide the same energy and it does not make any noise! If you are all ways near power you can lose a lot of weight by going all electric but if you are not the added weight of batteries, inverters and generators kind of negates the weight loss gain.

To each there own I spend too much time away from any thing that remotely resembles power lines my gas fridge and stove uses a lot less propane then a generator uses gasoline to provide the same energy and it does not make any noise! If you are all ways near power you can lose a lot of weight by going all electric but if you are not the added weight of batteries, inverters and generators kind of negates the weight loss gain.

That can be true, and in my case, my Dolphin has the same battery system, inverter, power box and generator as before the negation of propane. Having a generator can be a bit audible, but only needs to run if using the microwave, and cooking with appliances. If one does winter travel, one would run it while heat is needed when no power outlet available.

Like all good plans, I have always carried an emergency backup, small indoor rated, catalytic heater that uses a screw in Coleman Lantern large gas bottle, and good for 250 square feet for about 3 hours. So yeah, I do have two propane camp bottles for an emergency, and maybe that “technically” negates my total propane free claim in a few minds, but I’ve always carried them for my outdoor lantern anyway? I've rarely gone to a RV park without power, and for me, boon docking isn't how I normally vacation.

If I can't park my Toyhome, plug it in, and pull out the Harley and go for a ride, I move on to a place until I do, but my trips are planned well in advance to insure my success of that. Overnight at the Travel Plaza and the Wal-Mart, the generator is there. For those that do boon dock regularly or vacation in the cold months, yeah, maybe my option wouldn’t be as prudent, but I'm confident, on the rare occasion I would, there won’t be something I will have to do without, except the A/C, but never had that boon docking anyway. Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in the United States there is now a requirement to replace the old (standard) valve with a specific type of valve called an ODB valve.

Here is an except from All About.com which says in part:

Do you have a propane tank that was made before September 30, 1998? Well you might be in for a bit of a surprise the next time you go to fill it. As of April 1st, 2002 all new cylinders must be equipped with an Overfill Prevention Device (OPD). Also you can't get you old tank filled if it doesn't have this new valve. Don't worry, though, there are about 40 million obsolete cylinders out there now.

Every year it is estimated that there are 600 fires or explosions caused by overfilled propane cylinders. To eliminate this problem the National Fire Prevention Agency recommended to the Consumer Product Safety Commission that they require the OPD be installed on all propane tanks. So after years, here we are, scrambling to replace obsolete propane cylinders. This ruling applies to all propane cylinders from 4 to 40 pounds. So most any cylinder sold for gas grills is involved.

The OPD is a special valve that has a float inside the tank that will close the valve when the tank is 80% full. It won't measure how much propane is in the tank, but it is supposed to keep it from being overfilled. An overfilled propane tank can explode violently because of physical damage or exposure to moderate heat. Now, while the risk is relatively low, it is real.

So, how do you know if you tank needs to be replaced? The new propane cylinders have a triangle shaped valve knob. Older models had a five-prong, circular knob. If you have the triangle knob, then you're fine. Otherwise you need to get a new tank. Of course, you'll ask, why can't you just replace the valve? Any tank older then 12 years is considered too old to be used. And for those in the between years, the cost of replacing the valve is going to be about the same as exchanging the whole cylinder.

The cheapest way to exchange your tank is through a service like Blue Rhino or AmeriGas. These services will exchange your empty, obsolete tank with a new, filled tank for about $20USD. A new tank can cost about $25USD to $30USD. Old cylinders should be taken to a dealer or recycling center. Your local government can probably tell you where to take it. Some dealers might charge you a fee to take your old cylinder. Find someone who will take it for nothing. Or better yet, try on of the exchange services. You might also want to check with local hardware stores. Some stores are offering to replace you tank for you (at a fee of course).

Brian.

Referring to OPD valves, I have an older horizontal 4 gallon tank that is exempt from this requirement. My tank looks like a standard BBQ tank, but its NOT.

The Horizontal tanks are designed to be used in the horizontal position and therefore the OPD valve retrofit will not work. I've had no problem getting it filled, when someones asks me why it doesn't have the OPD, I simple say that this is a horizontal tank and its exempt. (I carry a copy of the exemption letter in my MH, but to date have never had to use it.

DO NOT attempt to use a BBQ tank in the horizontal position, and don't accidentally exchange your Horizontal tank for a BBQ tank.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

6 or more months ago this discussion came up. don't remember the site, but was about the law and that the horizontal tanks on mobile homes were excempt from this. here is what i copied to carry in the toy when traveling in case someone hesitates on filling it.

A: The 2001 edition of NFPA [National Fire Protection Association] 58 (the LP-Gas Code) recognizes that horizontally oriented cylinders that were manufactured prior to October 1, 1998, are unable to be retrofitted with the OPD's. As a result of this fact, the Code now exempts these cylinders from having to be retrofit with OPD valves. Any such cylinder must have a label affixed to it to inform the user and the refiller that an OPD valve is not installed."

So I assume that Auto-Stop is the same as OPD? My horzintal tank is original, well at least the same year as the coach, 1987. When I had it filled from an empty state it took 7.7 gallons, the tank can hold 9.2 gallons. So that's 83 percent roughly. Attached is the Auto-Stop label and the tank label indicating year of manufacture.

If Auto-Stop is the same as OPD then these must have been some of the first horzintal tanks to have this feature?

post-6384-0-37234200-1347035386_thumb.jp

post-6384-0-29496400-1347035423_thumb.jp

It sounds like its the same thing. OPD filler valves are used on the portable BBQ tanks.

The only reason I mentioned it was the reply from Boots addressing the use of BBQ tanks, and perhaps others have the same or similar tank that I have (looks like a BBQ tank, but its not)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The 30# horizontal saddle tanks for the last 30 years have a float just like a new BBQ tank they can not be filled completely. The smaller (20lb) horizontal tanks with the valve in the center can not be recertified the type with the valve off center can. The space is for expansion of the propane this makes it impossible to get liquid in the gas lines (as long as it mounted properly) BBQ tanks must be used up right. Propane is pretty serious stuff don't get creative the most dangerous stuff is liquid propane because once the pressure is removed is it turns to a large amount of vapor instantly.

• 3 weeks later...

Btw david, I'm totally down with removing the propane frig its semi worthless. But nothing beats a propane stove top.

Id like a 12v fridge and remove all the pipes.

The thermostat is pretty cool too. Water heater eh.

You want to know what would really be better than propane? I mean worse as far as cost at least twice as expensive, but having the stov be gasoline powered from the fuel tank.

At home I cook with a stove top and a microwave.

But if I had to lose one id lose the microwave.

In the rv situation it gets way easier because. First the microwave costs a grand or two in electricity upgrades

And then it costs like 50 times as much gasoline to boil water vs a propane stove. Seriously over 1 dollar vs 2 cents.

I have definitely looked into 12v dc microwaves because from where they are now they are cheaper than a generator and an ac microwave.

That's the long term route is efficient electricity and effecient propane.

Take advantage of the free electricity you get when the car is running and a big 150 watt solar panel.

Stamar - I use a standard microwave and inverter. if you buy a 12 volt microwave, your buying a regular microwave with an inverter inside.

Shop around for a small watt microwave, Mine is 700 watt (cooking) and about 900 watts power. Find a manual one (rotating timer knob), they draw a little less power.

I have a standard coach 12 volt setup, I can run the microwave for 5-10 minutes.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Btw david, I'm totally down with removing the propane frig its semi worthless. But nothing beats a propane stove top.

Id like a 12v fridge and remove all the pipes.

The thermostat is pretty cool too. Water heater eh.

You want to know what would really be better than propane? I mean worse as far as cost at least twice as expensive, but having the stov be gasoline powered from the fuel tank.

I used my electric 2 burner cooktop just last month for a 2 week vacation in the Wisconsin Dells, cooked eggs and bacon, boiled water, made oatmeal, etc. I used my convection oven as well to cook pizza, lasagna, and baked taters, and my 800 watt microwave. I used them all hooked to shore power and other times with my generator without a single concern or over drainage. Even when using both the cooktop and microwave at the same time, the watts were under 2000 with my 2500 run 3175 peak generator. The electric instant heat water heater worked like a champ as well. I dont miss the propane one bit.

Here is a gasoline stove one could recess and custom mount in place of the propane? Coleman 2 burner, uses unleaded or Coleman fuel, and has over 17,000 BTU's.