I've read everything I can find on the rear axle issues, but can't find what I'm looking for. I have a 1983 Sunrader, and it as the upgraded 6 lug axle, but I can't find any information on it. Is it a later model Toyota axle? Is it from a different manufacturer? Did Gardner Pacific replace it with something completely different? Is it a 1 ton or a 3/4? What size cylinder and seals does it take? We've tried 3 different sets, but nothing seems to fit. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ron

Thanks for the reply; actually we haven't tried seals yet--still trying to get cylinders that will fit! (This is undoubtedly made more difficult because I'm in Canada; nobody here has heard of these things, or where to get basic info on the axle upgrade.) Do you know if the upgrade was to a toyota 1 ton--or was it whatever could be found.?

Ron

I've read everything I can find on the rear axle issues, but can't find what I'm looking for. I have a 1983 Sunrader, and it as the upgraded 6 lug axle, but I can't find any information on it. Is it a later model Toyota axle? Is it from a different manufacturer? Did Gardner Pacific replace it with something completely different? Is it a 1 ton or a 3/4? What size cylinder and seals does it take? We've tried 3 different sets, but nothing seems to fit. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ron

The upgrade axle would be the same as a full float dually axle from a 1990 toyota truck. look for that year when searching for parts. Brakes ,axle seals hub will all be from this newer axle.

LS

I'm not sure if ANY Toyota 1-Ton DRW were EVER sold new in Canada. I haven't gone looking for 1-Ton specific parts yet myself. Have you tried a dealer yet? They might want a VIN and of course yours won't help since it doesn't have the axle it left the Factory with. If they do, look on EBay and give them a VIN from any '87 or newer Toyota MH you see listed. :)

Who did you end up buying the cylinders from? Maybe you could post the Make and PN of what you bought.

With the 1-Ton axle, once you go in to do the brakes, you have to replace the seals AND you might as well clean, inspect and repack the bearings too. So make sure you have the seals on hand (and perhaps look to see if you can find the bearings, should they need replacing).

http://personal.utul...xle/34reara.pdf

You might find this useful for the rest of your Toyota parts:-

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B_1LbTxQDmlVYmRkZTE2YjItODUzYS00NDUxLTk0ODUtYTYxYjZiYjk4ZTA5&hl=en

One last note. The nuts holding the dual rear wheels are supposed to be tightened to 170ft.lbs. This is way higher than a typical wheel. You don't want them falling off! :)

Here are my notes from a brake job on 92 Itasca spirit (same as winnie warrior). I was shopping at a advance auto parts store in FLA.

Some of the notes relate to the differential (I was running down a roaring noise).

post-1354-0-89536600-1345305999_thumb.jp