Just got back from our first trip in the 1991 Winnebago Warrior 21.5 foot long. Does anyone have any thoughts on steering wander? On a good road it has some wander but on a rutted road it takes off to either side.

The steering wheel must be played back and forth to keep it on the road. The front end has been looked at, just a safety check, tomorrow it goes in for a front end alingment.

Some question- what shocks seem to work good?

Does the stock steering damper have much effect, if not, where can a better one be found?

Has anyone used a bigger front anti sway bar?

Thanks

TR145

Presumably the alignment will reveal any worn steering links, and it sounds like excessive play if you're talking about a struggle to keep it between the ditches.

You might try tightening the steering gear adjustment with the set screw and locknut on the box itself. First season in my '88 I did that to get rid of the annoying micro-wander and I've never thought of since until now.

There are hard specs on the tension adjustment which involves disconnecting the gear from the linkage and measuring torque on the steering wheel through a full wind stop-to-stop. I've never had that kind of equipment. So with everything intact, I tighten the set screw until it affects returnability coming out of a 90 degree turn on a road test. If you barely need to assist the return (after your alignment) you're slightly (quarter turn?) too tight -- the steering geometry must return you.

Once you find the sweet spot you can fine tune it even on the staightaway. You'll feel the drag or play. The trick is to hold the set screw while cinching the locknut. During adjustment the locknut should be barely loose enough to let the screw grudgingly adjust. You must of course mark the original position....

Thanks for the replys.

The weight ready to go- driver only, 1/2 fuel, no bicycles,

Front 1900lbs GAVW 2300

Rear 4180lbs GAVW 4400

Wife will add some to front end, but all other will go to the back. Can bolt 200lbs under the bumper if needed but will run to CA. this Memorial Week end this with out weight under the bumper. If anyone is at Strawberry look us up in the meadow under the big pine tree. Toyota with North Dakota plates.

The steering grear has no free play, it does not return to straight ahead after turns, will try to put a little free play in it. Alingment was off but did not make much difference. ( toe and camber off)

Thanks

TR145