Bubble Window Replacement on Mirage

o*Live

Frame is in pretty tough shape the guy that owned it got stuck with it as his only Daily driver and New England winter for a few years in the salt did a number on it but yes 1000% I love this thing I’ve been traveling all around town with it and I will definitely get it repaired and keep it for a long time I think

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I apologize if this is off topic, but I just picked up an 85 Sunrader on an 84 chassis, and the windows are not wrap-around. They are two individual flat windows. What is the difference between mine, and the bubble ones? Thanks all!

Yours was made by a different division of the companies owned by Stewart Gardner. Flat windows Monterey  Leisure in Elkhart Indiana. Wrap around windows made by Sunrader in Vallejo Ca. There are also differences in interior detail.

Linda S

I’m sorry that I’m still posting different subjects on this window thread but I can’t seem to navigate this site and I just have a simple question I’m taking my first little road trip tomorrow about 2 Hours Dr. in my 1986 Mirage. I need to know what tire pressure I should run my tires say maximum 65 psi now I’ve read here that they should be 50 minimum but the previous owner has a sticker on the dashboard that says psi tires 28 I don’t know why he would have that he drove the truck for 25 years with that tire pressure I think what should I do? Real time if I could get an answer at some point in the morning I guess

Thank you Linda you have been invaluable to me in this whole process I will send pictures of mine little day trip if that’s appropriate I don’t know where to post now what part of this website. Now if I can just figure out how to get out the inner rear tires to get air in them:)

Edited by Ragtop

If you scroll down on the home page you will see a section that says trip reports. That's where you tell us about your trips. 

I don't remember if we covered your left hand thread lug nuts on the drivers side rear. If not please know that those lugs only unscrew the wrong way. Clockwise is off, counter clockwise is on. Never forget that.

Gas station air hoses have always been a problem for me. I have always used a small portable air pump like this

12v 100 PSI High Volume Air Inflator (harborfreight.com)

Unless you have really big hands you should be able to reach in and screw it onto your valve and turn it enough to fill the inside facing outside tire valves. 

Linda S

Not a bad location for my very very first time ever in an RV. And I love the fact I can take my Vespa with me:) I think I could get to like this thank you for all your help everybody

I don’t know why to my knowledge  nobody makes these fold up brooms anymore  very useful for our world I think   I found this in an old house I was demoing

98668E8D-5C2C-46A5-8A7E-07559F948EC3.jpeg

Actually a couple of years ago when I looked no one made it now there’s a couple of telescoping ones of course with Amazon anything is possible. :(

I just purchased a 1984 Toyota Mirage and I am looking for someone that can make these windows.  The ones in it are in rough shape.  I know this is an old post but I thought I'd try.

Thanks

No one that I know of is making these. The Mirage is so rare there just isn't enough demand for someone to continue doing it. Best case scenario is to find someone who does custom plexiglass molding. You would have to remove the windows first and probably send them somewhere if you found someone. If they are severely cracked you would need to glue them back together before you removed them, super glue very carefully in the cracks.

All this will be expensive and time consuming and if the company you find does a bad job you're going to end up with no windows at all

Linda S

I finally got under my rig today and got it on a lift the frame is in horrible condition I’m going to stay local do a couple of close little trips and then over the winter I’m going to have to figure out a restoration project or maybe try and find another 86 Toyota and do a frame swap or a truck swap any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated

If anybody could steer me to the right forum I need people that can tell me what year frame would be the same if I could just take my dual rear end and stick it on a different truck what years are compatible this is going to be a Herculean task but the few times I have used the Mirage it’s been so pleasant

Check your wheelbase. Pretty sure it's 112. So, grasshopper, more than Herculean. Just the frame would be a frame off restoration. Are you equipped for that? Engine, front end, steering, cab, all electrics  would have to be installed. Just to move your camper to another truck you can use any long bed, regular cab truck from 1985 to 1994 or 95 not sure what year the fuel filler changed sides. 

Yes you can move your dually over to the new truck but most of them will have 15 inch wheels. Maybe you should save yours. 

Best case scenario would to get a V6 4x4 but then your going to need to buy custom 15 inch dually wheels, about 250 each plus shipping from California. No 14 inch wheels with 4x4 lug pattern and wheels must match

Or you could see about reinforcing your existing frame. It can be done. I've seen it on a crazy Sunrader with articulating suspension. A true overland camper

Probably cost thousands less than the new truck option

Linda S

Bajadulce's thread is the best here to show you what's involved

9 hours ago, Ragtop said:

If anybody could steer me to the right forum I need people that can tell me what year frame would be the same if I could just take my dual rear end and stick it on a different truck what years are compatible this is going to be a Herculean task but the few times I have used the Mirage it’s been so pleasant

How close are you to seacoast NH?

26 minutes ago, J. P. said:

I am I don’t know one hour from seacoast New Hampshire I’m in Boston

Frank’s Garage in Hampton, NH. Does frame repairs, extensions and frame fabrication. All work is done in house.

This is the only shop I will trust with my motorhome. There may be a wait as he’s usually very busy. His landline (603) 926-4900. Worth the trip !!!

7 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Frank’s Garage in Hampton, NH. Does frame repairs, extensions and frame fabrication. All work is done in house.

This is the only shop I will trust with my motorhome. There may be a wait as he’s usually very busy. His landline (603) 926-4900. Worth the trip !!!

Thank you I will give him a call. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I’m after a fuel sender unit my fuel gauge is very erratic good news I found someone who is willing to tackle the frame repair he gave me a good description and he comes highly recommended so he needs to drop the gas tank and exhaust and a bunch of lines to do the job right while the tanks down I want to replace the fuel sending unit because my gas gauge is messed up I’m finding that it’s discontinued but I found a place in Canada that has one digit off with the Toyota dealership gave me for a part number with anybody know if these are all pretty much the same? Here’s the part number I got from Toyota

83320-39466

And the part number I got from someplace in Canada says it’s OEM Toyota instead of 466465 I just don’t want to make the mistake this guys ready to start the job but I don’t want to hold him up too long

I wouldn't be too concerned about exact part number as long as it's for a 65 liter tank. That number they gave you is not a Toyota number so I have no idea how they can call it OEM. 

Here are some close that would probably work

TOYOTA Genuine Fuel Gauge Sending Unit 83320-39695 Pickup SR5 4Runner Hilux New | eBay

83320-39695 sensor fuel level sender gage assy for HILIUX 4RUNNER TRUCK RN61 VZN | eBay

If you want exact my go to place in Dubai has it

TOYOTA GAGE | 83320-39466 (carmarka.com)

They ship fast and pretty cheap. Just a heads up, sometimes they don't actually have it, but usually they are good

Linda S

10 hours ago, linda s said:

If speed is important Amazon seems to have some but big price tag

Toyota 83320-39466 Fuel Tank Sending Unit, Fuel Sending - Amazon Canada

Linda S

Yes speed is very important that’s why all of those ones that say August 8 August 1 I really no good the guy that’s doing the frame has to drop the tank and I don’t want to keep him waiting he cannot leave it on his left till August 1 and the Amazon listing says not availableYes speed is very important that’s why all of those ones that say August 8 August 1 I really no good the guy that’s doing the frame has to drop the tank and I don’t want to keep him waiting he cannot leave it on his left till August 1 and the Amazon listing says not available

13 minutes ago, J. P. said:

Yes speed is very important that’s why all of those ones that say August 8 August 1 I really no good the guy that’s doing the frame has to drop the tank and I don’t want to keep him waiting he cannot leave it on his left till August 1 and the Amazon listing says not availableYes speed is very important that’s why all of those ones that say August 8 August 1 I really no good the guy that’s doing the frame has to drop the tank and I don’t want to keep him waiting he cannot leave it on his left till August 1 and the Amazon listing says not available

I grabbed this one it’s cheap I hope it’s not a piece of crap I always like OEM parts but it doesn’t seem like it’s available I just hope it gets here in time and I hope it’s the right one thank you for your help again Linda

045F9A55-426E-4507-AD2F-B1BE80869251.png

Edited by J. P.
Different

Yes I was even thinking that was a good reason to order the aftermarket one cheap hopefully I will get it in time and maybe I could salvage a part or two off of it if worse comes to worse maybe the float has gas in it sometimes that happens in an ex erratic