Bubble Window Replacement on Mirage

o*Live

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are the best I appreciate it I imagine there are resources to repair that refrigerator and heater if need be like I said this thing looks like it was neglected pretty bad for a lot of years so I am just getting all the dirt out of it cleaning it up and going to start plugging away the big thing is the frame is shot I need to get a good welder get it up on a lift and see if he can repair it and make it safe for now until I come up with Plan B there is a beautiful rust-free one I can buy it’s just the truck with the dual whales it came off of an camper but like I said before that’s going to be a Herculean task getting that whole fiberglass unit off the old truck enroll in a new one under it and hopefully all of those truck frames for the same length and width from the mid 80s and up

Update to the window rubber it looks like mine is 1 inch wide on inside and outside just like yours and it has what someone else on a different form described as like a plastic rope that forces in the middle that forces the H channel to go onto the plexi and the fiberglass so it looks like maybe that stuff from Amazon may work I’ll send a picture 01609DF6-7304-4244-8589-28DC364D4C98.jpeg.174bf33142bc5ef8d7caba11d80ce1ca.jpeg

2F3E9FEE-E884-4E7F-9BF9-4496FFDE3966.jpeg

One more question for now what does everybody clean their fiberglass with or most of you guys don’t have fiberglass I guess. I should probably treated like they were the boat and use some wax that they would use on a boat I guess

Update to the window rubber it looks like mine is 1 inch wide on inside and outside just like yours and it has what someone else on a different form described as like a plastic rope that forces in the middle that forces the H channel to go onto the plexi and the fiberglass so it looks like maybe that stuff from Amazon may work I’ll send a picture 01609DF6-7304-4244-8589-28DC364D4C98.jpeg.174bf33142bc5ef8d7caba11d80ce1ca.jpeg

Doing a deep cleaning first and then I’m going to get barkeepers friend and finalize it I really appreciate it guys I know I keep repeating myself but it means a lot to me to get this help

here’s a picture of one side partially cleaned and the other side the way I Received it dirty

Oh and I assume someone will tell me if that’s the wrong axle I think it’s the right one six lugs two wheels huge leaf springs actually bigger than my 1988 landcruiser

Doing some engine work alternator things like that I may do the water pump as a preemptive but maybe I’ll just keep an extra water pump in the rig plan is to take all those rusty screws out of the exterior and change them out with all stainless steel I just keep plugging away when it’s roadworthy ish. 🤔I will take it to a welder and see if the frame is repairable

574FC537-9808-4AAC-BC13-C2C610943D03.jpeg

Edited by Ragtop

A friend came and change the alternator today and all the belts I took her for the first voyage around the block and went to the self-serve car wash to help out the Detailer for tomorrow this thing is so absolutely cool to drive it’s easy I love it! Thank you for all your help PS are the window still available for the front I need to look back at this thread. I know someone was making them in their oven

9E751B0D-B725-4DF5-964B-7028D011FA5A.jpeg

FB34C3BB-B7C8-4DC6-84FB-4AD22C36B19B.jpeg

that looks like the right one. is it off a toyota?

Yes that will work great. Use several thin layers. Rinse the Barkeepers more than you think you have to first.

I must say your Mirage looks way better than I expected. I don't see much rust on the body at all. Wonder how the frame got so messed up

Frames can be repaired. My friend has a Sunrader 4x4 that has been upgraded far beyond most motorhomes. GM turbo charged V6, Ford rear end and tons more. So his Toyota frame could handle the riggers of off road he had the entire frame wrapped in steel. 

Something similar would work for yours where the frame needs help. 

Do you still have the fiberglass cabinets inside. I love those

Linda S

Yes everything is intact all original I am just repairing the wood in the over cab where the water got in thank God for fiberglass yes a guy looked at the frame and told me he thinks he could box it in that’s the plan I really appreciate everybody’s help him again there with me I’m new I will figure it out

Yes everything is intact all original I am just repairing the wood in the over cab where the water got in thank God for fiberglass yes a guy looked at the frame and told me he thinks he could box it in that’s the plan I really appreciate everybody’s help him again there with me I’m new I will figure it out

Update on the windows I cleaned all the old lousy caulking out of it and flashed them in with gorilla tape waterproof for now the stuff‘s pretty good I’ve used it in boats and everything so hopefully one of those rubber gaskets that Linda was sold thoughtful to send onto me the link hopefully one of those will work

1DFBF126-7154-4B1E-BB20-5FFCB115F520.jpeg

Hello folks I’m sorry I am hijacking your whole form here but as you Can’t remember I’m sure you all had 1 million questions when you first get into this game! My question is what are thoughts on insulating that fiberglass before I haven’t reupholstered should I use the peel and stick silver stuff that’s about a quarter inch thick or a little more should I have someone spray some form in there or should I just put nothing like the original?

FWIW My Escaper had a 12" frame extension. The way it was done may be useful for your repair guy. They made 2 L channel pieces about 18" long. The L matched the width and height of the factory frame. Put the frame in a jig and cut it where it was straight then stretched it to the new wheelbase. They then welded the first channel to the top and outside of the frame there were 4 welds inside and 4 outside The other channel was welded to the bottom and the inside. Then the joints were welded full length. The result is a fully boxed frame. 

1 hour ago, WME said:

FWIW My Escaper had a 12" frame extension. The way it was done may be useful for your repair guy. They made 2 L channel pieces about 18" long. The L matched the width and height of the factory frame. Put the frame in a jig and cut it where it was straight then stretched it to the new wheelbase. They then welded the first channel to the top and outside of the frame there were 4 welds inside and 4 outside The other channel was welded to the bottom and the inside. Then the joints were welded full length. The result is a fully boxed frame. 

Ah yes. Much much stronger than a piece by piece by piece box thank you I will pass this alongMuch much stronger than a piece by piece by piece box thank you I will pass this along

I don’t even know if I should be looking for a different section to post this because it’s not about windows but I am looking for a tiny microwave oven for this little micro mini motorhome I looked at a sharp half pint online a vintage made in Japan tiny tiny 13“ x 13“ x 13“ microwave do you think I should look at something like this or should I go for one of the more modern made in China things that are out there any concerns about power usage or blowing fuses does anyone know anything you can give me for feedback would be appreciated

23 hours ago, Ragtop said:

I don’t even know if I should be looking for a different section to post this because it’s not about windows but I am looking for a tiny microwave oven for this little micro mini motorhome I looked at a sharp half pint online a vintage made in Japan tiny tiny 13“ x 13“ x 13“ microwave do you think I should look at something like this or should I go for one of the more modern made in China things that are out there any concerns about power usage or blowing fuses does anyone know anything you can give me for feedback would be appreciated

Anything anyone Bueller Bueller?

4 hours ago, linda s said:

Search .6 cubic ft microwave .  Your looking for one with a depth of around 12 inches.  Thats the smallest your going to find. 

Linda S 

Thank you yes that’s what I’ve been finding out but my question is should I be searching out one of those sharp half pints the older ones made in Japan are they better than the new stuff made in China?Thank you yes that’s what I’ve been finding out but my question is should I be searching out one of those sharp half pints the older ones made in Japan are they better than the new stuff made in China?

Maybe in the corner there under that overhead it looks like there’s about 14” x 14 most of these seem to be 13 x 13 so I should be good

ABAB51C2-FA9E-4E08-B82C-531667D2937C.jpeg