Is my 1991 Dolphin Doomed to Overheat??

tmoonchaser

I just purchased a 1991 Toyota Dolphin motor home. I was pleased with the over-all condition of it initially, however, I immediately had issues with overheating while running the AC. I was driving it through the small mountains of Tennessee and it was impossible to run with the air-conditioner on at all. Even when the evening offered much cooler temps,, it still overheated. I've had a new radiator, thermostat(twice) and clutch fan put in it. It still overheated within one hour on the road. Driving it across Arkansas on I-40 made it overheat as well. It seems to me that it should at least be able to run without overheating during reasonable outside temperatures and on normal hilly roads? Am I just doomed to never run the AC?

Thanks for any help!!!

I can't speak for the 6cly. However, a couple things to check.

I assume three row radiator.

I assume head gasket recall (not blowing into coolant)

I assume radiator / fan cowling is OK

Radiator hoses OK (lower hose not collapsing)

remove the thermostat see if this helps (temporary to see what happens)

can you hear the radiator fan cycling on/off

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i have a six and have never had it even run on the warm side with the air on, so you shouldn't have to live with it. make sure it is tuned up, ie timing, plugs etc. check to see if heater is working ok, maybe if plugged restricting water circulation in some way? even if new fan, make sure it is coming on when the air is turned on, at least on many, when the air is turned on the fan will also come on regardless of engine temp. temp gauge working properly?, not really hot?? sorry, have to ask.

Something is not right.

I have a 1990 Odyssey with the V6 and I have ran the A/C while traveling over the Rockies in

90F and the temp guage stayed in the middle.

Anything blocking the air flow through the grill (bra or bug shield)?

Is your over drive working, that is does it go into 4th gear and stay there for a while,

if you are running in 3rd all the time or the trans keeps on going between 3rd and 4th

you will be running at higher rpms that will be generating more heat.

Dennis...

Head gaskets ever done? You can run the VIN number by Toyota and they can tell you.

i have a 22re new to me

and it overheated on the way home when i used the ac. its r12 refrigerant.

it didnt go to the red but almostt.

switched it off and it cooled down.

i dont know the problem it doesnt make sense. im going to look at the ac when its running tommorow.

Overheat....

1 Blocked airflow through radiator

2 Fan shroud missing or wrong one

3 Lower hose collapsing (rare)

4 Water pump bad