New door latch?

The side door latch on my Sunrader Adventure is falling apart. The door latch is quite different from all that I have seen in several searches. The locking mechanism locks over a post in the door. Anyone have suggestions for where I might go for a new door latch/lock or has anyone replaced one and rebuilt this latch? Sue

post-4493-0-64811200-1341589416_thumb.jp

post-4493-0-53813600-1341589493_thumb.jp

The side door latch on my Sunrader Adventure is falling apart. The door latch is quite different from all that I have seen in several searches. The locking mechanism locks over a post in the door. Anyone have suggestions for where I might go for a new door latch/lock or has anyone replaced one and rebuilt this latch? Sue

That is the standard Sunrader door lock and they were made by Trimark. I have heard that model is no longer available but the company does have a replacement parts site. Why don't you call them and see what they would recommend. I have heard of some people taking them apart and installing new springs to get them to work again but I don't really know what they did. Here is company site. See if you can find a model number somewhere. I will look too.

http://www.trimarkco...CFYUaQgodKFVgvw

Linda S

Inside the lock is part number 018859. I need a handle on the inside. I have been using a pliers to open the door from the inside. The locking mechanism is jammed so that it cannot be locked. It looks like a part may be broken--- and I am afraid that if I take the locking mechanism apart, I'll never get it back together. I'll let everyone know what I hear from Trimark. Sue

• 3 weeks later...

We had a similar problem. The old latch neither locked nor latched securely when closed. The deadlatch (part that holds the door shut after it "clicks") would not overlap the door frame enough for a secure hold. We tried to adjust it closer, which helped, but it still had a non-functioning lock. The locksmith said it was just worn out. He also said the motorhome had "settled" a bit, widening the door opening just enough to render the latch ineffective.

We found a small trailer repair place where they had power tools--this all happened our first time on the road of course--and he came up with a modern replacement for our whole door latching mechanism. It also would not overlap the door frame far enough. The solution turned out to be riveting a small steel plate to the inside of the door frame. It only extends about 1/4" into the door opening and has rounded edges so that it doesn't catch clothes or people as they pass by. It's a very sturdy installation.

The result is a strong and secure lock and positive closing for our door. Hope this idea helps.

Mich

• 1 month later...

Over the last few months, I have learned more about Sunrader door locks than I ever wanted to know. I did not get a response from Trimark although I did not try as hard as I might have. Instead, I jerry-rigged a fix from my bucket of spare parts. I share my fix in hopes it might help someone else. My Sunrader door lock had multiple problems. The simple problems: it could not be locked and the interior door handle was missing. The more serious problem was that the 3” x 1/4" shaft that held the inside door handle would fall out when the door was closed with any force and during travel. (See picture of inside of lock with the shaft sticking out.) That shaft turned the rotors that opened the door and it connected the inside and outside door handles. When the shaft fell out, the door could not be opened either from inside or outside, which meant climbing through the cab to enter the coach. I used a pliers to open the door when I was on the inside.

I took the lock to a locksmith to realign the springs and things so that it could be locked but his only suggestion for other problems was to close the door carefully.

My best solution to secure the 3” shaft in the lock: I cut two thin metal strips 1/4” wide x about 1.75" long and bent them into L’s (one leg of the L was 1/4”, the other 1.5”). The smaller ends of the L could be slipped in next to the shaft and hooked inside of the lock. The long ends of the L were clamped to the bar with an electrical clamp connector. This centered the shaft and held it at the correct depth in the lock, but allowed it to turn. Most ready-made door handles fit square shafts and did not fit this shaft. I made a handle from 1/4” plywood and secured it with the clamp connector nut. While not pretty, I can now open, close and lock the door from inside and outside.

post-4493-0-87711400-1347258077_thumb.jp

post-4493-0-55760600-1347258125_thumb.jp

post-4493-0-11457800-1347258187_thumb.jp

• 3 years later...

Our weird door locks are a 2 rotor latch system and the regular compartment door tumblers just won't fit. Look here and you can see how different they are.

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zcategory.aspx?intcategoryid=20

Linda S

Some have managed to make a dead bolt fit. Look at post #14

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1415&page=2

Take it to one of the old school full service locksmiths. Its worth seeing if they can fix it.

The person who started this thread did that and it worked out for her.

yes. i will pull it apart. there has to be a way to rebuild the cylinder to accept a new key

All motorhome door locks that I have ever owned or seen have low grade pin tumbler entrance latches that are easily compromised.

It is VERY wise to install a Good grade deadbolt.... there are plenty available, but look to spend over 100 bux for anything decent.....donnie