Just Picked Up An 83' Toyota Dolphin

NSB RV

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the RV world. I just bought an 1983 Dolphin RV from a neighbor. I flushed all the fluids, new sparkplugs, and wires.

I tried to call the manafacture which apparentely is out of buisness for hope of getting ahold of the manual. Does anybody know where I could get a chilton-type manual for this beast?

I noticed under the hood that there are two batteries. Does the battery that doesn't run the engine; run the refridgerator, auxillary air conditioner and water pumps?

What do the different color tanks signify? How would I test if all the water pumps work?

Where is a good place to find parts? i.e. skylights, appliances, roof racks, ladders, new air conditioning cover

Thanks in advance

Anson

THE rv battery runs the inside lights the water pump the furnece some friges have a 12 volt seting but you cant run a frige on the battery unless you are driving as it will run the battery down fast. most of the dolphins seem to have two way friges only propane gas or plug in the cord to 120volt shore power. auto parts store should have a book covering the moter and running gear. DO YOU HAVE RV SALES AND REPAIR SHOPS WHERE YOU LIVE MOST OF THE VENTS AND RV STUFF are JUST STANDRED RV STUFF LOT OF PEOPLE USE ON LINE i dont myself somtimes i do reasearch things online. the AC HAS TO RUN ON 120 volts only

NATIONAL RV WENT OUT OF BUSNESS ABOUT 2008 there is an informational site called national rv archive you should look at shows by year what they were like brand new and welcome to this great group here be shure to read postings on rear axle safty does yours have the six lug one ton axle in the rear. the black tank is the tolit the greay tank is the kitchen sink and likly the shower the other battery needs to be a rv deep cycle battery not a car battery turn the water pump switch on dont leave it on but listen you should hear it . you can put water in the freash water tank and try it check all pluming for leaks i can leave my pump on but it wont come on unless you use water if pump goes on and off or stays running there are leaks

I appreciate the quick feedback!!!

Due to my auxillary battery being completely dead until I get a new one, I hooked up my generator today. All the lights, stove vent and A/C seem to be working like a dream. I couldn't figure out how to test the water system. The water control panel seems to not be lighting up. Would the control panel seize to light up if there was no water in any of the tanks?

I also found some unwanted wasps whom made a hive inside the camper. Needless to say were wasp free and I'm buying new skylights tomorrow!! :{P

Anson

Anson;

Welcome to the forums.

The Dolphin was built by National out in Calif. There are several Dolphin specific files on this site and also the Yahoo group. Download them.

I went around and got all the model and make of the appliances, then downloaded the manuals for the appliances and put them in one book. I keep this in my Toyhouse.

** Appliances will be:

Refrigerator

Furnace

Stove/range

Converter

Status panel

Toilet

Water pump

A/C unit (optional)

Generator (Optional)

** Batteries / Electrical

I attached a simplified drawing of your electrical system. I would recommend purchasing an inexpensive Volt Ohm Meter and learn how to measure 110 and 12 volts.

The "Coach" battery should be a "Deep Cycle" battery (sometimes called a "Marine Battery) as opposed to a standard starting battery. The Coach battery will run lights, furnace blower, and maybe your frig (optional)

The coach A/C unit (optional) requires shore power or your generator (optional)

** Tanks - You should have three tanks:

Black - This is toilet sewage (may also be bath sink depending on Dolphin model)

Grey - This is shower, kitchen sink

Fresh - Obviously your fresh water

** Parts Source

Google RV Parts, Shop around, prices vary significantly. When you replace your roof vents, make sure you get the ones with the metal frame.

Again Welcome,

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-70285900-1339594282_thumb.jp

Welcome, I too have a 1983 Dolphin, and have loved fixing her up. Look for my and others fix-up photos posted here. I Still have a few more projects with her, and have found all I needed at the various RV websites around at PPL, and the many that supply on EBay. There are a lot of great minds here, and if one goes through the Forum here, I am sure many of the project questions will be addressed. Good Luck, nice to have you here and PEACE!

I really appreciate all the useful information you guys have provided me. I have been scouring the internet and find parts to be readily available now that I have all the appliances and accessories manufactures.

I was wondering if you could give me a step by step instructional on how to test all the water tanks and pumps without making a mess?

I noticed that around the frames of my skylights it looks like water has seeped through and has rotted the wood a bit surrounding the skylight. When I replace the skylights whats a good sealer to prevent this from happening again?

I'm going to get a new roofrack/ladder and I was wondering what extra protection I could put on the roof to help seal it as well?

Thanks Again,

Anson

I noticed that around the frames of my skylights it looks like water has seeped through and has rotted the wood a bit surrounding the skylight. When I replace the skylights whats a good sealer to prevent this from happening again?

You should use either 'putty tape' (grey) or 'butyl tape' (black) which lasts longer. Try home Depot, Lowes, etc in the plumbing section. Some also call it 'plumber's tape'.

I'm going to get a new roofrack/ladder and I was wondering what extra protection I could put on the roof to help seal it as well?

When the time comes, I plan to try a brush/roll-on truck bed liner. White/light color would obviously be cooler!

• 1 month later...

wow, thank u so much for the information. i too am new. i got a 85 dolphin, 4cyc, w 68K miles (4cyc). i paid 3K, spent more than $1500 so far putting in things like: all new hoses in the motor, 6 new tires, major tuneup, $140 mattress, reinforced the bed frame, replaced carpet w laminate floor, 2 roof cover/vents, new facets handles in bath & kitchen sinks, wipers, oxygen sensor, transmission kit, shock absorber(sp?), deep cycle battery, radiator, plus little things like that..... for me it is worth it

the tires were required and should be required for all newbies.....although the thread on the tires that came w the motorhome looked fine, i learned the hard way that tires sitting too long deteriorate at the thread & metal union. I was on the highway when my front-passenger-tire thread separated, i was lucky i didn't lose control... the bumper & side panel were damagedl. i found light-truck 8layer hancock tires for $90 each locally (SAC CA)

Some of the parts may not have been needed, but i consider the age of the vehicle & factor-in that the parts have been sitting a long time (vs doing what they were meant to do). had i known i was going to spend so much money....i would have bought a newer one (5K+-?), but would have ended up putting new hoses, tires anyway....maybe i didnt plan correctly, but do not regret my purchase

i haven't made my maiden voyage to florida (frm CA) yet, i did a test drive to the san francisco area, but when i do take my maiden voyage i will feel very safe. please let me know if there is anything else i should do.

the coach is in pretty good condition (small water damage to front bunkbed window), i haven't figured out how to turn on the refrigerator. the stove works, water pump works, has an invertor panel, ac works (needs freezon), toilet works. But don't know the role of the generator, deep cycle battery or when they can b used. the stove is basic and assume it can not be used while driving.

please provide your feedback, maybe i am spending more than what the motorhome is worth?

this site is my new bible for my motorhome....thank u so much for ur posts. they are invaluable to me

Edited by mgrijalva

Ods are very good your overcab rot problems are coming from the front window. After a rain, go inside and look inside the window frame, there is a like a channel on the inside, if its got water in it, then heres what you can do tho help eliminate that.

Looking at the outside of the frame, the frame protrudes, i.e. it sticks out about 1/2 inch. Drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the frame , both on the drivers side and passenger side. Be very careful when you do this , not to much pressure as when the drill bit cuts thru, it could hit the plastic window and crack it. When you do this your providing a drain. look at the drawing, water flows down the window, past the rubber keeper, fills up that outside trough, flows over the top to the inside trough, then over the top of that and destroys your cabover. the hole your drilling allows the outside trough to drain.

post-4544-0-87367300-1345291907_thumb.jp

Your Frig should work on electric - try that first before you work on the propane - The truck needs to be level front to back, or the frig will not work. There may be a level inside the frig. I have levels mounted on the drivers door pillar and the dash board so I can drive back and forth to find a level spot. Front to back is more important than side to side.

Heres a simplified diagram of your power,

post-4544-0-32400900-1345292510_thumb.jp

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You should use either 'putty tape' (grey) or 'butyl tape' (black) which lasts longer. Try home Depot, Lowes, etc in the plumbing section. Some also call it 'plumber's tape'.

When the time comes, I plan to try a brush/roll-on truck bed liner. White/light color would obviously be cooler!

Butyl tape is very sticky and messy. It is also the best thing to use. I have always bought white butyl tape. readily available on ebay and at rv stores. I would recommend it over the black stuff

LS

• 2 years later...

Hello, I also just purchased a 1983 Toyota Dolphin. As I am not a mechanic, I have to have it (engine) worked on elsewhere. I am learning a lot just by reading this thread though. I love my Lil' Turtle. She needs a lot of little things, and couple of big things done, one is I have to have the air converted over. Gotta have air. I will be watching and reading, maybe sometimes asking questions, as it seems there are some real experts here.... :) lots of good info. Looking forward to hanging out.