WHAT TO USE TO RESEAL RV DOOR WINDOW

5Toyota

IS UREATHANE OK TOO reseal rv door window during frame replacment

When I had window leaks, I removed the window by taking out the inside frame screws and then on the outside, I used a narrow but firm putty knife to carefully pry the frame away from the siding to break free the putty seal. I then removed the old dry putty, and with rubber gloves on, cleaned residue with goo gone or acetone, the same stuff really. Once cleaned, I did the same around the siding cut out where the window was sealed and let the acetone evaporate well. I then used a 100% silicone to fill any cracks in the wood frame around the window framing, or replaced any with breaks, rot, or missing areas. Once that was done, I used roll putty (the stuff originally used by manufacturers) and stick it around the edge of the window, and trim with scissors to proper width. Place back in the window, go inside and screw in the fasteners to complete.

The putty stays put and remains pliable for years and years, but when you are talking 20 to 30 years like some YOTA’s are, it will eventually dry out. It makes a better look, as we all know that using caulk never leaves a clean edge, it peels off, and ya really never know if it is penetrating the leak everywhere we want it to, until the next rain, and then some just load on more caulk till there’s sometimes these unattractive blobs everywhere, and never really sealing the leak where it’s at, just covering it with a mountain of goo.. Here's a place to get the putty in 50 foot rolls:

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/50-Foot-Roll-RV-Trailer-Putty-Tape_p_59.html

This is how I fix leaks on windows, flashing, trim and vents, or anything I mount on my YOTA that will possibly allow water to enter my walls, roof, and appliances from the outside. Removing the leaking item, removing all the old dry sealant and using new putty is the only thing I ever do. Hope this helps, and good luck! Peace!

IS UREATHANE OK TOO reseal rv door window during frame replacment

I use butyl tape for resealing windows and vents. Look on ebay, plenty of it. I have had plain putty tape dry up in only a couple of years and have rain coming down on my head because of it. besides pulling windows is not something you want to do often. Butyl tape will really last years and years longer than putty tape

Linda S

I use butyl tape for resealing windows and vents. Look on ebay, plenty of it. I have had plain putty tape dry up in only a couple of years and have rain coming down on my head because of it. besides pulling windows is not something you want to do often. Butyl tape will really last years and years longer than putty tape

Linda S

You are correct Linda, Butyl is better to use for longevity, as it comes, my advice was jaded a bit in that I gave the putty and not the butyl info. As I have used both and started using the butyl later. I did use the putty on my back window when I did it, before I found out about Butyl, and the place I got it at the time was PPL. With price AND shipping, I found it to be a good price. Thanks for your correction! Peace all.

http://www.pplmotorh...paign=partsfeed

• 2 months later...

This is a good post as I have 3 windows that are gunked with silicone. I have no leaks in my windows and been contemplating that phrase "if it's not broke". Though I'm going to give it a go. Question, how do you all handle the running lights? Mine are hideous...

post-6384-0-28031300-1346553072_thumb.jp