Water heater replacement

Hello all, I have a 1990 Minniewinnie,water heater is full of pin holes. has anyone replaced their unit with another that fit with out mods? I'm unable to find a (Atwood G4-6) 4 gal. Propane unit. Please help. Thx Gene

Edited by maldune

Here's the route that I went, an instant heat electric. If you have to have propane, they make models for that as well. I am removing all propane from my Dolphin and going electric with mine for park or generator. I like this option because one isnt limited with either propane or electric due to the tiny tank of water the regular 4 gallon heater has. Hope this option helps and good luck! Peace!

http://www.marey.com...sp?productID=26

Davidadro,

Hi!, That's the way I want to go also, I have 90 Dolphin, do you use the 110v Power Pak Plus & will itwork to heat kitchen sink & shower or do you need to get the separate shower heater?

Thx,

TerrieO

Here's the route that I went, an instant heat electric. If you have to have propane, they make models for that as well. I am removing all propane from my Dolphin and going electric with mine for park or generator. I like this option because one isnt limited with either propane or electric due to the tiny tank of water the regular 4 gallon heater has. Hope this option helps and good luck! Peace!

http://www.marey.com...sp?productID=26

needs 40amp breaker. My Rv only has a 30 amp plug. What happens when it doesn't get enough power

Linda S

Unless you are hooked up to a water line you most likely don't need all the hot water you can get after all the storage tank is not that big. Most of the newer propane heaters are 6 gal. and quite efficient once the water is hot the pilot light will keep it warm over night. The figures are fairly vague on the electric heaters OK for a house but not some thing for a small MH and most campgrounds most likely won't want a small MH parked next to a 50 amp service that a 48' MH would normally use then there is all ways the issue of the 5000 watt generator. So the answer to the question is the best replacement would be the same type (Attwood or Suburban) that is now in it because of the placement of the gas and water lines. Your biggest problem is getting to the water lines some times they were convinced that it would last of ever. The killer of the tanks is the crud in the bottom. in their infinite wisdom they don't put the drain on the bottom so any stuff in the water lines sinks to the bottom of the tank makes nasty mud and rots them out.

i AM NOT SHURE WHAT MODELS BUT FOR SOME OF THEM YOU CAN GET JUST THE REPLACMENT TANK WITH OUT REPLACING THE ENTIRE WATER HEATER HAVE SEEN LISTINGS ON THIS DONT REMBER WHAT FOR WHAT.and dont forget a gas heater can be much smaller 30 OR 40 FOR A HOUSE A 30OR 40 GALLON ELETRIC IS WORTHLESS FOR A FAMILY i have a 55 GALLON ELETRIC IN MY HOUSE. in MY DOLPHION MY 6 GALLON GAS WILL DO ALL I WANT.

YOU CAN GET TWO WAY RV WATER HEATERS COMBO GAS OR ELETRIC I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS ONE OF THESE. ON HOOKUP THEY RUN ELETRIC WHEN BOONDOCKING THEY SWITCH IT TOO GAS

There is also heaters with heat exchangers that use engine heat to warm the water. I really enjoy a nice long hot shower but have no problem with a quick hot shower in the MH generally get just as clean so I guess the Toy home fits some where between a tent and a big class A. They do make an electric heater element that replaces the drain plug but the propane heat is 5X faster. 5Toyota I did replace just the tank in mine and after I got it all together I found out that I could have bought the complete unit for $30 more.

THANKS FOR INPUT ON tank up grade. for us going from the big tent to the 78 with a toilet indoors at nite was really living. and getting the dolphin with hot water and a shower was oo lala love it just made first trip in the 1987 5 days in the woods great time and we are 60. I am spoiling my wife of 35 years as she grew up with nothing and no plumbing at home until she was 16. FOUR years ago gave away our 10 by 14 tent never missed it. and my wife who has some disabling conds can still go camping.