Refilling your own propane tank?

Mumblix_Grumph

Hi all. I have a horizontal propane tank in my Dolphin. I was wondering if I could refill it myself with a hose connected to a forklift tank or a vertical BBQ tank. I have both. I modified a full size Bronco to run on propane and still have various bits and pieces left over.

The horizontal tank has a gauge built in, so could I just hook the two tanks together and open both valves until the two tanks equalize their pressures or until the horizontal tank reads full enough?

Or am I going to blow myself up just to save a few bucks?

Thanks

Don't you have to pay for the propane any way?

Yeah, but there are times when you can't find a fill up place and I'd like the convenience of using a standard tank without having it sit out side the vehicle where some scab can just unhook it and run off with it. I guess I just want the option of transferring the propane from the standard tanks to the horizontal.

yes, it is possible, and yes, you could easily blow yourself up.

Prudence, knowledge, and a sense of self preservation must prevail, and it can be done safely with the proper equipment and knowledge.

Rather than fill from the BBQ tank, I normally hook up a BBQ tank if I know I'm going to be stopped for any length of time, i.e. overnight in a campground, out in the sticks boondocking. I set the BBQ tank down beside the Propane compartment, disconnect the hose from the Horiz tank and hook it up to the BBQ tank.

Upgrade LP Regulator, tank, and hose

Refilling propane tank - open and well vented area, no open flames, no static electricity.

Get two full flow soft nose fittings and a short hose (18 inch) 1/4 inch hose. Warm the supply tank, cool the empty tank.

post-4544-0-30128100-1337688956_thumb.jp

Connect the hose to each tank, the supply tank upside down. Use a brass wrench, (or better yet, use the hand tighten fittings that are available the the soft nose)

Tighten the Supply tank connector, leave the empty tank connector loose to bleed the line.

Open the supply tank for a second to purge air out of the hose. (a puff of propane from the loose connector on the empty tank)

Tighten the connector on the empty tank.

Open both valves all the way, open the bleed valve on the empty tank.

Fill by weight or until liquid squirts out the bleed vent . Close the supply tank, wait about 30 seconds for the liquid in the hose to flash to gas, then close the bleed valve, then close the tank valve.

remove the hose.

This is a slow process and can take 10 - 15 minutes to fill empty tank, depending on temperature.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

yes, it is possible, and yes, you could easily blow yourself up.

Prudence, knowledge, and a sense of self preservation must prevail, and it can be done safely with the proper equipment and knowledge.

Rather than fill from the BBQ tank, I normally hook up a BBQ tank if I know I'm going to be stopped for any length of time, i.e. overnight in a campground, out in the sticks boondocking. I set the BBQ tank down beside the Propane compartment, disconnect the hose from the Horiz tank and hook it up to the BBQ tank.

Upgrade LP Regulator, tank, and hose

Refilling propane tank - open and well vented area, no open flames, no static electricity.

Get two full flow soft nose fittings and a short hose (18 inch) 1/4 inch hose. Warm the supply tank, cool the empty tank.

post-4544-0-30128100-1337688956_thumb.jp

Connect the hose to each tank, the supply tank upside down. Use a brass wrench, (or better yet, use the hand tighten fittings that are available the the soft nose)

Tighten the Supply tank connector, leave the empty tank connector loose to bleed the line.

Open the supply tank for a second to purge air out of the hose. (a puff of propane from the loose connector on the empty tank)

Tighten the connector on the empty tank.

Open both valves all the way, open the bleed valve on the empty tank.

Fill by weight or until liquid squirts out the bleed vent . Close the supply tank, wait about 30 seconds for the liquid in the hose to flash to gas, then close the bleed valve, then close the tank valve.

remove the hose.

This is a slow process and can take 10 - 15 minutes to fill empty tank, depending on temperature.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for the info...maybe just running the system off the BBQ tank is the way to go if I run out. I guess I could chain it to the wheel so it doesn't get stolen.

I go to Tractor Supply Company and they fill the tank for $2.69/gallon. That is far cheaper than having a place fill my BBQ tank and refilling the RV tank. I am looking into installing a hookup to use BBQ tank in extended stays but with the 40 lb tank that I have, I don't think I will run out.

I go to Tractor Supply Company and they fill the tank for $2.69/gallon. That is far cheaper than having a place fill my BBQ tank and refilling the RV tank. I am looking into installing a hookup to use BBQ tank in extended stays but with the 40 lb tank that I have, I don't think I will run out.

Bob C.,

Where are you able to fit a 40 pound horizontal tank on a Toyota motorhome? I'd like to try retrofitting one to my '85 Dolphin, if possible.

John

• 1 month later...

I listed this reply in another section but I think it belongs here too.

Personally, I'd feel much more comfortable cutting the bottom of the storage space in the motorhome to accommodate the BBQ tank than modifying the tanks to be able to refill them.

I have a 1989 Dolphin. When I got it the propane tank was missing and a new tank was more than I wanted to spend. I modified the compartment so that a BBQ type tank would fit standing upright. Does anyone know why the manufacturers don't just use these tanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I have a horizontal propane tank in my Dolphin. I was wondering if I could refill it myself with a hose connected to a forklift tank or a vertical BBQ tank. I have both. I modified a full size Bronco to run on propane and still have various bits and pieces left over.

The horizontal tank has a gauge built in, so could I just hook the two tanks together and open both valves until the two tanks equalize their pressures or until the horizontal tank reads full enough?

Or am I going to blow myself up just to save a few bucks?

Thanks

I was under impression that when a tank is filled it is done so with liquid propane. Seems to me if you just connected two tanks together they would just equalize with gas and not liquid.

I was under impression that when a tank is filled it is done so with liquid propane. Seems to me if you just connected two tanks together they would just equalize with gas and not liquid.

That is correct at the refill center it is drawn from the bottom of the large tank with a pump not just gas pressure as liquid that is how it is metered if you connect two together the pressure will be the same as a gas regardless of how much is in them. It can be done by turning one tank upside down but it is unlikely that you would ever get it any where full before the pressures matched.