After market aux. fuel tanks.

Shoprat

As I was interested in increaseing the fuel gallonage of my Sunrader, I came across this site

http://www.nwmp.com/catalog3.htm#tpa

I called them and the tank that fits my motorhome costs $550 plus shipping.Goes into the space taken up by the spare tire, so no loss there. What do you Guys think ?

550 seems an auful lot for 13.5 extra gals, but it would double the range. They say it's 16 guage electro-galvanized steel, so shuld last a while.

Shoprat;

If you're in California, go with the replacement 26 gallon. Footnote #9 (on the website)states the gravity feed is illegal in the state. You'd probably get popped at inspection time. I think a transfer feed is likewise verboten.

If elsewhere, knowltondata has a point. Just yesterday I glanced at the frame extension weld on the '86 Sunrader. It's not much of an overlap. You've got three or feet of distance from the bumper but it wouldn't take much to snap those welds and get the accordion effect. You could make a structural cage behind the tank.

The replacement 26-gal. has its own issues, like depth below the frame and running gear (it presents a nice square face to oncoming projectiles, and should have a skid plate) and fill tube routing (possibly four offsets to the Sunrader gas cap -- opportunity for pinching and chafing).

Many of us, I'm sure, thank you for the reference to the website for the replacement /

auxillary tanks, as the Transfer Flow source has effectively dried up. I'll certainly use it for my '88 Itasca soon.

Hasta la vista, twin Jerry cans,

Steve R.

• 2 weeks later...

Well . I considered the points brought up here regarding the aux. fuel tank in the spare tire area. Talked it over with the wife and we decided that we will install one. Knowltondatas' point about getting rear ended in an accident was discussed also, but we will get more peace of mind from extended range to offset the possible negative point. We sucked it up moneywise one more time, and ordered the tank. When it comes , I will see if I can get some installation pics.

• 1 month later...
Shoprat;

If you're in California, go with the replacement 26 gallon. Footnote #9 (on the website)states the gravity feed is illegal in the state. You'd probably get popped at inspection time. I think a transfer feed is likewise verboten.

If elsewhere, knowltondata has a point. Just yesterday I glanced at the frame extension weld on the '86 Sunrader. It's not much of an overlap. You've got three or feet of distance from the bumper but it wouldn't take much to snap those welds and get the accordion effect. You could make a structural cage behind the tank.

The replacement 26-gal. has its own issues, like depth below the frame and running gear (it presents a nice square face to oncoming projectiles, and should have a skid plate) and fill tube routing (possibly four offsets to the Sunrader gas cap -- opportunity for pinching and chafing).

Many of us, I'm sure, thank you for the reference to the website for the replacement /

auxillary tanks, as the Transfer Flow source has effectively dried up. I'll certainly use it for my '88 Itasca soon.

Hasta la vista, twin Jerry cans,

Steve R.

Greetings... This is 'Pogi' and I am new to this site. I am finding your information useful. I would like to increase the fuel capacity of my Sunrader and I noticed that '88WIT' advised 'ShopRat' ... "to go with the 26 Gallon Tank". My question is: Where can I get the 26 Gal Tank? [ Transfer Flow will not sell me one. ] I also like the idea of putting a Tank where the spare Tyre is located. I am not concerned about weight because when I travel my water and 'Holding' Tanks are always empty... I need GAS... not water. Hope to read more about "Extra Fuel". "Pogi"

Greetings... 'ShopRat' ... This is 'Pogi'. I know its only a month and a half... But, Did you get the tank that fits where the spare tyre goes? I want to do the same installation. Let us know how it works out. Thanks.

"Pogi"

Yo Pogi-

Sorry I didn't get back to you Guys on this. My bad.

Ordered up the tank back in April. I put a hold on it when it looked like it wouldn't come in time for the trip. One day before we were to leave, I recieved an e-mail saying they shipped it ! I immediately called them on the land line telling them not to ship it. Julie, their secretary, said she'd put a stop shipment on it. She sent an e-mail saying she'd caught Fedex in time, so when we returned from our trip I could let them know and they would ship it.

Long story short, when we got back from the trip 3 weeks later, the tank was sitting on my front porch. It got shipped anyway! Luckily I live in a small town where people are honest. I was somewhat put out.

Anyhoo, what with moving my 99 year old mother, doing furniture re-arrainging to put Moms' furniture in my place, installing a short block in my lawn mower, and working on my 30 year old sailboat, I haven't had time to install the tank. I did look at the instructions. Looks fairly straight foreward except for the filler pipe. Will have to scratch my head and do some figgerin' to have the fuel inlet to the tank come out in a safe place.

Hope this helps. Oh, by the way, the tank kit with tank costs 550 American dollars ! Shipping was 60 bucks to Michigan. When I get some time, I'll see if I can't maybe at least get the thing hung on the back end.

Once again, sorry for being so slow with info.

• 1 month later...