Propane tank repair or replacement

longwater

My 87 sunrader has developed a slight leak in the propane tank.It leaks while the valve has the tank shut off.I have searched for old post,but haven't found anything that covers any part that could be replaced,so I am looking for any help as to what could be leaking.The tank is horizonal and I think it is 5.5 or 6 gallons.I have looked around at new tanks but they are around $400.When I either repair or replace the tank I would like to install a tee on the supply line so I could use a 20# tank as a extra supply.Any help or suggestions will help.

Thanks Jim

as for that tee the tee and the hose can be bought as a kit called extend a floe nice to run a stove or bbq outside. the most i have seen was 200 for a new 20 pound horzontal tank. does it leak out of the tank or out of the system when the tank is off. I WOULD TAKE THE TANK TO A PROPANE SERVICE PLANT MAYBE THEY CAN CHECK IT OUT oops sorroy miss read your need there they call that version extend a stay mostly same thing.I had one tank leakedout of the stem packing got rid of it . SOMTIMES YOU CAN GET A USED HORZONTAL TANK I AM USING A RECERTIFIED 5 DOLLORS FEE 1973 tank in my 87 dolphion picked up at the county haserdase waste old propane tank disposal site. forFREE

thanks 5toy,I think that since the valve is shut off that the leak would be in the tank or fittings,but I am hoping someone can confirm that.I discovered the leak at the end of last season,and I tried to use soap and water to find it without any luck I should have used my grandsons bubbles maybe it would have made it eaiser to find.Now I have to have the tank filled again.I am not sure where to find someone who repairs them.

The tee setup you describe is exactly what I want ,for a bbq grill and extra fuel in case I run outI would like to know whatparts can be replaced or new gaskets .my tank is mounted behind an access door and is filled in place.

before I buy a new tank I would to see if there is a cheaper option.

Call around to local propane dealers the horizontal tanks are different then the standard BBQ tanks and are more likely to be repaired then replaced because of the cost.

The actually valve I think is the same as a non OBD tank doesn't yours have a bleeder valve you have to open to fill it?

NOW i understand you have one of those perment mount tanks no wonder 400 those are expensive . yes you can get par ts for those i have a frend has a 34 foot ford 84 i think had this werd old butten thing you had to push too fill no good so you could not fill it i tore off all this stuff a tube went to the bleader hole and the filler port also .I put on a new common bleader screw set up and a brand new filler neck workes great now saved a 400 or 500 dollor tank you dont have any big propane service outfits there/? or a rv service shop. EVEN A NEW REMOVABLE ONE LIKE MINE IS 200 dollors no way i am doing that. THE BIG PROPANE OUT FITS THAT DELEVER TO HOMES MOST AWAYS SELL AND REPAIR LARGER TANKS IN THIS CASE THE RV STORE SAID THEY WOULD SELL THE PARTS BUT WOULD NOT WORK ON THE TANK > SO I DID FOR HIM I THINK YOU CAN GET VALVES TOO I just realized it could leak out of the fill port because that does not fill on the valve like the other type

I called a few propane dealers and they suggest a rv service shop,so I called one and they won;t repair a used tank but will replace it.I : not sure of the correct terminology for the fittings.There is a small port that sticks out that has a tag on it that says stop filling when liquid comes out.there does not seem to be a way to remove this part. then there is a filling connection that is connected to the tank with 4 bolts.next there is a open / shut valve that is a tee the left side has a blue plastic cap that is easily removed but I don;t know what that side would be used for.On the right side of the tee the regulator is connected and feeds the appliances,above the valve is the fuel gauge,held in with 4 screws. the tank is 31" long and 10"diameter .I think it will be easy to remove but the fuel line from the fill to the gas tank ( for the engine ) is real tight.th is is a 2" pipe,so bending it a little might be tough .

Iam not sure what 5 toy is sayng about the bleeder.any help is appreciated

OK your valve takes the left tread bull nose fitting that go to the regulator? That's is what's leaking? If that is what it is I think is just threaded into the tank and that is the same a old style BBQ tank valve.

this guy did not have a normal bleader screw had some type of obslete fill cotroler pressure venting butten to hold in to fill it did not work could not fill at all replace with new standred bleader screw this thing also part of the main filler neck replaced with new standered fill neck.ONE OF THOSE IS A LIKE FIRE SAFTY VENT THE ONE THAT SAYS STOP FILLING WHEN LIQUID COMES SHOULD BE THE BLEADER AND THOSE CAN BE REPLACED and the filler neck is like a one way check valve wonder if that could leack TAKE A close look and see does the four bolt bolt in or maybe the top of a thread in .

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, after looking the tank and fittings over I am a little concerned about the tank itself,there are a few spots along the bottom that have bubbled down to bare metal that makes me wonder if it could be a pinhole in the tank. I just had cataract surgery on tues,so my vision has been a little off. I decided to just order a new tank made by manchester,it is the same size,holds 7.9 gallons .The gauge is in a lower location so it will be easier to read,I should have it in about a week.I am planning a trip up to michigan in july and most places don't have hook ups so the 7.9 gallons will be a big advantage thanks again.

LW