20 lb. propane cylinder

DouglasW

Hello Can I travel with a portable 20 lb. propane cylinder (full of course) laying on it's side. I'm using it with an adapter to fire up my Coleman camp stove when I want to cook outside. In use it's designed to stand vertically. Thanks DouglasW on Gabriola Island

I travel with a BBQ tank on its side all the time. Just don't use it while on its side.

I carry it under one of the bench seats. When I stop for the night, I take it outside and set it beside the propane compartment. I then disconnect the hose from the normal horizontal tank and connect the BBQ tank. ( Mainly for heat and cooking)

Although its a little inconvenient connecting and disconnecting the external BBQ tank when we stop for the night, I have never run out of propane while on a trip. I will usually go through two or three BBQ tanks before I need to re-fill the horizontal tank. One of the big advantages of the BBQ tank, they can be exchanged almost anywhere. Places that can actually re-fill a tank are a little harder to find while on the road.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The only issue I could see if the tank vents on over pressure as a liquid it would expand instantly to a gas at a large volume filling the area with an explosive mix. Personally I think the chance of it getting hot enough to vent is pretty slim.but that's the only reason I can think of.

The tank would need to be involved in a fire in order to get it to overpressure and vent. See temperature chart.

If the internal pressure is high and the tank is moved from a warm to cold, the internal pressure will fall as the gaseous propane re-condenses inside the tank. (If you could see inside the tank, you would see propane droplets on the inside wall (like a cold glass of lemonade on a hot humid day)

Going in the other direction, If the internal pressure was low, and you moved the tank from cold to warm, the internal pressure will rise and propane evaporates until it achieves the equilibrium pressure.

post-4544-0-05504500-1336413587_thumb.pn

Note that generic Propane is worthless when the temperature starts dropping below about -10 F. The internal pressure may not be high enough to (about 20psi) run the dual stage regulators.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 month later...

I have a 1989 Dolphin. When I got it the propane tank was missing and a new tank was more than I wanted to spend. I modified the compartment so that a BBQ type tank would fit standing upright. I don't know why the manufacturers don't just use these tanks.

Post a couple photos. I've been thinking of doing this, and use two tanks along with an auto switchover regulator.

JOhn MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...