Best Overall Toyota RV

Hello everybody, I am a NEWBIE, I saw my first Toyota Dolphin parked at the beach on Saturday. I am 60 so I kinda remember these from my past but only faintly. It got my attention! You know how it is when you see something that you really like, it just sort of grabs you...well thats what this RV did to me. I loved its size, I assumed it was fairly economical and easy to drive, I was guessing that it could be a little slow over mountain passes but I could care less, I used to have a 1965 VW bus with a 1500CC back in the day....semi trucks routinely passed me! Anyway, I am planning to tour the USA by my self starting in October of this year, I am a Real Estate consultant and will make enough money to survive but I want to be as frugal as possible. I have skimmed over some of the posts and decided to just put my question out there for discussion, it would be very nice to hear what you all have to say. Here's the question: In your opinion what would be the best Toyata RV (year also) that is economical, reliable and functional for an extended on the road experience.

Thanks ahead for your responses. I know this is a very general question but any thoughts would very appreciated!

AL

I believe the 4 banger is a little easier to maintain, I prefer the Electronic Fuel injection (22RE)

The Manual tranny would be more economical, reliable and may be easier to maintain, but a lot of shifting if any hills at all.

The V6 auto tranny has the torque converter lock out, I prefer that over the 4 cyl auto, it has a true OD, but its hardly used (need a tailwind)

The Sunrader has advantages in that that the roof is one piece fiberglass,

We bought ours for 5k, We spent another 4k going through it, upgrading systems, replacing components, tires, etc that were questionable, and generally bringing it up to almost new standards. we then drive it 12,000 to Alaska and back with no problems at all.

With all this said, Whatever you get,, it will most likely need to be gone through, Get something mid mileage (70,000) and it should have many years left in it. Again, you need to bring maintenance up to date before hitting the road.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Well the newest ones are close to 20 years old so as with any older vehicle how it's been maintained is the most important thing to look at. Yes the 4 cylinder is easier to maintain but the v6 has more power and the chassis was upgraded and gives a much better ride. Water damage is a big issue with these because of the age. If you go out looking make sure to look for stains on walls and push on ceiling and anywhere that looks supicious. Wood rot is way more work than you would want to do. Absolutely spend to money to have a mechanic look at it first too and if you can find an RV inspection guy near you have all the appliances checked. Fridge, propane systems, heater, air conditioning all add up to big bucks if they need repair. Of course check back here if you need more info.

Linda S

Hello everybody, I am a NEWBIE, I saw my first Toyota Dolphin parked at the beach on Saturday. I am 60 so I kinda remember these from my past but only faintly. It got my attention! You know how it is when you see something that you really like, it just sort of grabs you...well thats what this RV did to me. I loved its size, I assumed it was fairly economical and easy to drive, I was guessing that it could be a little slow over mountain passes but I could care less, I used to have a 1965 VW bus with a 1500CC back in the day....semi trucks routinely passed me! Anyway, I am planning to tour the USA by my self starting in October of this year, I am a Real Estate consultant and will make enough money to survive but I want to be as frugal as possible. I have skimmed over some of the posts and decided to just put my question out there for discussion, it would be very nice to hear what you all have to say. Here's the question: In your opinion what would be the best Toyata RV (year also) that is economical, reliable and functional for an extended on the road experience.

Thanks ahead for your responses. I know this is a very general question but any thoughts would very appreciated!

AL

You want the best it's fiberglass there are a few, Sunrader and some New Horizons that were fiberglass. I prefer the 22RE it is a bullet proof well proven engine yes the 6 has a bit more power they were offered as an option in 89 and any thing past that were V6. Manual transmissions are hard to find except on the older ones. The auto is a good transmission regular fluid changes are a must and the biggest extra cooler you can put on. There are a few options on the lay out that would be personal preference what ever one suits you best one is not better then the other.

Your profile says your in Southern Cal. Lots of motorhomes down there for sale. Look on craigslist and see as many as you can so you can get a better feel for judging the good and the bad. Ask lots of questions

Linda S

Well the newest ones are close to 20 years old so as with any older vehicle how it's been maintained is the most important thing to look at. Yes the 4 cylinder is easier to maintain but the v6 has more power and the chassis was upgraded and gives a much better ride. Water damage is a big issue with these because of the age. If you go out looking make sure to look for stains on walls and push on ceiling and anywhere that looks supicious. Wood rot is way more work than you would want to do. Absolutely spend to money to have a mechanic look at it first too and if you can find an RV inspection guy near you have all the appliances checked. Fridge, propane systems, heater, air conditioning all add up to big bucks if they need repair. Of course check back here if you need more info.

Linda S

Yes, there is a lot on Craigslist, I have been looking at different areas down here on Craigslist...got to be carefull though, I already have come up on 2 scams. Thanks to those that have posted their opinions so far!!

Your profile says your in Southern Cal. Lots of motorhomes down there for sale. Look on craigslist and see as many as you can so you can get a better feel for judging the good and the bad. Ask lots of questions

Linda S

Rule 1. There are no bad Toyhome MFGs, only bad previous owners. Don't buy the P/Os problems.

Rule 2. Get the floor plan you want, DON'T plan on redoing one to your tastes. Make sure its equipped the way you want it, adding a gen set is $2000

Rule 3. Make sure you check that everything works. A new refer is $800.00

Rule 4. No matter what you get its going to cost at least $500 to fix stuff.

I have a 1986 sunrader with the 22re. True enough I upgraded my suspension, axle, hubs etc to the v6 versions (1 ton) and spent some money into it. I know i have over 11k total into my rig, but my little girls LOVE it and we have put over 10 thousand miles on it in trips.

Mine has no leaks and the fiberglass roof really makes her look newer than she is. From meeting others at a toy in I will say this; I envy the extra headroom in the above cab bed as well as the extra width the dolphins have, however I traded that concern for leak-less living.

I believe I paid double for what most people in Cali get to buy these rigs for because I am in michigan and the sunraders are almost impossible to find here. (i hunted for over a year. as i couldn't fly out to one due to work)

I don't regret putting the $ in that I have as I have learned so much about the truck and know for sure that its done right.

I think If i were to buy again I would like to see a rear dinette 22 foot 22re sunrader like Alan's or stick with my current 21 foot rear corner bathroom layout.

Layout is key by the way; make sure you "tour" the inside of some of these. They do have different options.

WME

Rule 1. There are no bad Toyhome MFGs, only bad previous owners. Don't buy the P/Os problems.

Rule 2. Get the floor plan you want, DON'T plan on redoing one to your tastes. Make sure its equipped the way you want it, adding a gen set is $2000

Rule 3. Make sure you check that everything works. A new refer is $800.00<br />Rule 3. No matter what you get its going to cost at least $500 to fix stuff.

Rule 2. Get the floor plan you want, DON'T plan on redoing one to your tastes. Make sure its equipped the way you want it.

YES !!! floor plan is crucial, search this site for PDF's of the various layouts before you go looking so you will be able to visualize the way you'll use it. We just got lucky and got a Dolphin model 400, which is a rare model looks like. Couldn't have installed the birds cage otherwise, but I do miss that captains chair!!!

vanman

VANMAN we also have a 400 dolphin and they do seem to be a bit rare . but if you find a nice good con one that is what counts .

there is one on here on the for sale list for 46 somthing i would not pay 50 dollors for it looks awful inside and out.

As an alternative to the 'leakproof' (they aren't) Sunrader, you could watch for an Odyssey Americana (they can leak too). Fiberglass construction (like the Sunrader) but wider and taller inside. And several interior layouts available too.

the proper quote was "Leak-less" and YES they DO leak less... shame on you Derek... you just want to fight.

I wager with a 22RE they get better mileage and weigh less too.

5Toyota

there is one on here on the for sale list for 46 somthing i would not pay 50 dollors for it looks awful inside and out.

Amazing they didn't even clean anything before taking the pictures. But that's not a 400, the RV door is next to the passenger side truck door, on the 400 the door is 2 1/2 foot back of the pass door, as you go in the captains chair is to your right. I saw a picture of another Toy, on this board I think, that wasn't a Dolphin that had the same entry door spacing as the 400, but it had what looked like a closet where the Dolphin has the captains chair..

vanman

new it was not a 400 as myn is a 400 what ever it is i call it a i better not say more

Derek up North

The $4650 Dolphin is a Model 500.

I have a PDF of Dolphin models, shows a 400, 500, 800, & 900 but no 3, 6, or 7 hundred. What year is that picture from ??? The model 800 is the other Dolphin with the entry door well behind the truck pass door, still looks like a closet to me instaed of the chair??

vanman

• 10 years later...

They are all Toyota's, and they are all old. The best one is one that has been sitting in a barn for the last 30 years. Or one that has been meticulously cared for by the owner. Structurally the Sunrader is the most durable. Fiberglass doesn't break down like the other more conventional materials. Especially after bouncing down the road for 30 years. Even they will leak from improperly sealed windows and vents and that water can mess up the interior paneling and floor. Keep reading this site so your knowledgeable about what to look for. Do a search for problems by brand and it will tell you a lot about the bad stuff

Linda S

Linda is spot on! Next after the Sunrader's are the ones that are aluminum framed. Wood framed Toys like the Dolphinos you'll want to stay away from.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunraders, Odyssey, and I believe the Horizon are fiberglass. The Horizion looks like it is only the overcab that is fiberglass.  I think there are a couple more. 

The Mini Cruiser has an aluminum and steel frame. It would have been better had they been all aluminum lol..  I am not sure about any others with aluminum frames. 

The Warriors are pretty tough from the ones I have seen. I am not sure what their framing is inside, but the wall panels are filion (fiberglass) skins glued to foam sheeting and I think thin ply inside. 

All of them, including Sunraders, will  have some leaks. Expect, at minimum, to clean up and reseal the roof. 

Inspect candidates if possible when they have been left sealed up.  Hot and humid with a smack of pungent mold is bad. Look around inside cupboards at the top. Look at the ceiling panels. Drooping or wet, means work. 

If you are going to be picky about a specific brand, you likely will have to travel far for the right one. Depending on where you are, they go from kinda scarce to very rare. 

I would recommend looking at any that come up local to you. Take a lot of pictures and post them up, ask questions. The regulars here are awesome at spotting random stuff in pictures. 

You will either learn a lot of skills, or quickly go broke.  The Toyota platform though is super reliable.  But it is going to be 30+ years old. Even that is likely to have some work needed. 

Only 36k on mine. Alternator and fuel pump went out in the first week or two of ownership. Rear brakes locked up after using the parking brake, because my transmission randomly doesn’t lock in park. Had to replace all the marker lights, taillight assemblies. Fridge doesn’t currently work. 

But I wouldn’t trade it for anything, except a 4x4 Sunrader!  

• 2 weeks later...

They are all so old that getting parts is becoming a real concern.

We bought our ‘91 V6 Auto Sunrader recently and have been spending LOTS of time going through it, and it was a decent specimen to start with.

Plenty of areas needed attention; engine exhaust valves had no clearance despite a recent trip to the dealer to verify that, which brings a cylinder head r&r job, with new exhaust valves, springs, custom exhaust system to remedy over heating of heads/valves with the loads these heavy are under.

Finding a set of replacement exhaust manifolds proved difficult considering the age of the parts, and the conditions they’d been subjected to.

Many other parts will just be hard to find after 30 years, so get one that’s in great shape or suffer later. Ours has the original light bulbs everywhere, all the headlight retaining screws are well rusted in place.

Just be ready/prepared to jump in and work on them…

The Toyota chassis is actually pretty easy to find stuff for. There is really good parts support still. The house is fairly easy too as most of it is fairly generic and specific parts can usually be substituted with something else. 

The hard part is stuff like interior cab plastics. Hard to find same as any other old vehicle.