New Grounding and Power wire

I had read on the YotaTech Forums about increasing the grounding in the engine compartment. I ran extra 8 ga. wire from the firewall, fenders, engine, and frame directly to the negative terminal on the battery. It did really make a difference. The engine seems to start quicker and maybe a little bit more power. Of course, it could all be psychosomatic. Today I replace the small wire that goes from the positive terminal to the fuse box located inside the engine on the fender. I guess the thought was that it is too small and causes a voltage drop when the truck demands more current. I haven't taken it out for a test drive after this last mod but it does keep me out of trouble.

Here's the link about the positive battery cable mod:

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/2nd-gen-mystery-electrical-problem-solved-write-up-33526/

Mike

• 1 month later...

I always add extra grounding... I figure that when the truck is new, it is just OK, but as it ages the resistance must get worse...

:)

• 9 years later...

if you are wondering about voltage drop in a wire, connect your voltmeter to opposite ends of the wire in question. when current flows(something turned on), the meter will read the voltage dropped in the wire directly. if it shows none, go to a lower setting. (autoranging meters excepted)

drop (V) = Iwire (A) × Rwire(Ω)= Iwire (A) × (2 × L(ft) × Rwire(Ω/kft) / 1000(ft/kft)).  It ain't all that easy.

doing it with the calculator is time consuming. using the meter directly is easy

This is where a clamp on current reading meter comes in handy. Either reduce the load or increase the wire gauge.