Charlie the rescue shepherd loves the Sunrader

MAXXFabrication

I lost my white shepherd about 3 years ago due to cancer, recently I began looking for a new German Shepherd puppy and decided to look into rescue groups in the area and found a few but most had already been adopted- then came Charlie, he had been adopted by another couple and didnt get along with their aged retriever so back into a shelter for him.

I fostered Charlie at first to see if he was a demon dog that I wouldnt be able handle, as it was he did chase cats (cant have that unless he is going to safeguard against all the mice we have in the country) so after a few close calls with the kittys he calmed down and began to see things my way.

I decided to adopt Charlie last week from the rescue group, I have had him 3 weeks now and he absolutely loves his Sunrader, he thinks the bed over the cab is his.. even when occupied by me! he is about 110 lbs and thinks he is a puppy still. loves to ride in and guard the Sunrader like its his.

post-5795-0-10535400-1334969233_thumb.jp

Good on you for taking one from a rescue. I've fostered a few GSDs in the last 3 years (Lulu, Baby, Zach, Ginger, Chase, Miko, Bella & Mojo) as well as about 20 others. Never had a problem with any of the, unless you count Helios who ate seatbelts, headliner, door panels, arm rests, sunvisors, heated rear window wiring, etc. But we found him a home, eventually!

Congrats on the pup good for you adopting him we are on our 3rd Great Dane rescue dog. I just can't imagine giving up a dog our latest was in a kill shelter in Florida and ended up in VT. The gal that owned her was going through a divorce and gave her up. She is so sweet and loving I just could never give up a dog.She is a perfect match for the other Dane he is wild and powerful she is sweet and dossal.

post-669-0-08020400-1335012916_thumb.jpg

My German Shepherd just turned 12 yesterday (human years.) great breed, loyal to the end.

I love them, no problems with typical "dog" issues with shepherds. no running off for no reason, right by your side.

He hasnt left my side since I picked him up, bonded like we have been buds for years.

@ Derek, good for you- fostering keeps them alive until the right person is found for each dog- awsome of you to do it.

@Maineah, thanks, I rescued and fostered a bull mastiff/chocolate lab mix... he was a handful and wouldnt stik around at all. luckily a friend adopted him and they have been happy ever since.

We've unfortunately got pathetic laws here governing puppy mills and pounds. Sooo many to save. I take them in, get them house trained (my poor floors & carpets) and socialized and off they go, usually never to be heard from again (sob).

Here's a picture of Chase the last time I saw him and another with his 'brother'. He ended up going to Vermont.

post-3557-0-10424400-1335123851_thumb.jp

post-3557-0-52098600-1335124021_thumb.jp

We've unfortunately got pathetic laws here governing puppy mills and pounds. Sooo many to save. I take them in, get them house trained (my poor floors & carpets) and socialized and off they go, usually never to be heard from again (sob).

Here's a picture of Chase the last time I saw him and another with his 'brother'. He ended up going to Vermont.

thats really cool of you, really cool. cute dogs too!

One of the Danes we rescued was part of a puppy mill in NH he was left in the basement to sleep on a pallet the owner was arrested and did some jail time (there is justice ) When he was found and rescued he was afraid of the wind. He had never been out doors. Until he died he was stuck to my wife like velcro and was not real keen about men wonder why? He had a seizure and he literally stopped breathing one day and turned blue 10 mins. latter he was fine. We figured he was about 10 years old and he had another seizure and died, to this day believe it was from being beaten.

• 1 month later...

Great to hear so many have rescued dogs from shelters. We got Abbott, a dalmatian/????? mix about two years ago. He is an absolute nutcase!!! Look forward to taking him on some toyhouse trips this summer.

Maineah, Glad to hear that Shanka (hope I got the spelling right) has a playmate. He is quite a character.

• 1 year later...

Another rescue dog with a couple twists. We've had "Tug" now for 4 years and he's a great! We found him, lost and starving to death with a front paw in a leg trap, between two actual Wilderness areas. We were out for a drive on a very cold (for the coast) sunny December day. We went up a side canyon dirt road between the Grassy Knob and Copper Salmon wilderness areas of southern Oregon and saw a black thing by the road. At first we thought "Bear", but as we got closer, we saw that it was an injured dog. Not only did he look like a survivor from a concentration camp, his right front paw was in a trap the size used for beaver. He'd apparently pulled the illegally set trap stake loose down in the canyon, but it tangled on a root and he was stuck. He must have been lost for weeks by his condition.

We got him loose, his foot seemed ok, he was just too worn down to pull loose, I think he'd have died that night, without water and temperatures in the teens. He never made a sound in the 1st 24 hours we had him. After several days of feeding, running ads in all the local papers, we took him to the animal shelter and had him scanned for a chip. Nothing... but he weighed in at 63 pounds. He's now a healthy 110 pound beast, we think he's German Shepherd and Husky cross.

Now, we were wanting a dog, but having had Rottweilers and Labradors, we were thinking that something a bit smaller was in order as we got older. So... We end up with the biggest dog we've ever had! He absolutely loves to ride in the Sunrader, in fact, it's hard to get him out, he'd happily live there. Tug, named for his pulling ability, is a solid member of our family and we can't imagine life without him, although in an 18' Sunrader, he does take about 1/2 the available open space!

The photo with my wife, Eve, is the day after we found him.

post-4974-0-56866700-1396613158_thumb.jp

I mentioned twists... He has a lop ear and a very curly tail! this is two years later.

post-4974-0-25897200-1396613298_thumb.jp

Steve

Here's a picture of Sugar, my latest. She comes from Kuujjuarapik (way up North). Her owners were relocating and couldn't take her. 'Animal Control' up there consists of a gun so she was flown down South in July 2012 and I took her in as a Foster. Well, I finally decided to become a 'Failed Foster Home' and adopted her. Yes, loads of Husky in her but maybe a bit of something else to give the floppy ears. Loads of others through the doors in the meantime (had 12 under the roof for a while). I've been working with a FB group recently wh are dedicated to saving dogs & cats from one of the SMALLER pounds from euthanasia. In the last year we've managed to save 200 dogs and 400 cats from being gassed.

http://www.nunavik-tourism.com/Kuujjuarapik.aspx

:)

post-3557-0-54946700-1396622470_thumb.jp

post-3557-0-32831500-1396622485_thumb.jp

"You & your wife have gave Tug a better life" More like Tug gave us a better life! He is really a character, I play blues harmonica and he sings along with me! He'll also sing/howl along with harmonica playing on the sound system, but not with any other instrument.

Derek, Sugar looks like a light colored version of Tug!

We're very into dogs also, generally like them better than most people. It's amazing how many people have tiny motor homes and BIG dogs!

Steve

Our rescues, a bit more Toyota sized

post-18-0-26224100-1396633585_thumb.jpg .... Ying and Yangpost-18-0-46162500-1396633634_thumb.jpg..... Yang and ying

At least you don't have to keep them all in shoes....

Oh, I don't know. I've lost a few shoes, socks, hats, gloves, etc to some of the visitors. Not to mention seat belts (a favorite), steering wheels (2), arm rests (3), headliner (1), sun visor (1), wiring, etc. Carpets? Yep. :)