I started the junkyard hunt for 1 ton **FRONT**wheel hub assembly. Is this just a straightforward swap out?

I absolutely refuse to pay $300 for some crummy price gouging wheel adapters and quite honestly look forward to the nice ability to get package pricing on brake kits etc.

So, is this just a hub kit and keep brake hardware or as I am expecting the assembly should contain the rotor and brake hardware and will result in bleeding brakes etc?

anyone ever do this one?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok cant advice there see a lot with 5 lug front i am shure the 6 lug is better big brakes one wheel fits all.

I seem to have scored two off of car-part.

$140 delivered. beats $385 for the aluminum wheel spacers...heck I can replace the bearings and brake junk and still come out on top...

Has Anyone ever Done this mod?

I have hubs and rotors on the way. I am hoping I can re-use my calipers and at worse need brackets; I base this hunch on the fact that Nappa part numbers for calipers of 1/2 ton hubs are same as 1 ton...

Spindles supposedly match up so no need there...

So.... thinking all I need is possibly brackets now?

Bump.. hello calling all experts, LindaS, Derek, Maineah, anyone? surely someone has swapped out some of these before. Can I reuse my calipers?

Someone has, but not me. I remember whoever it was writing it up either here or in the Yahoo Group.. Didn't bookmark it since I don't have 5 lugs up front. From what I recall, i was pretty much a bolt-in installation. However, I was looking recently on the AutoZone site and they had brake pads specifically identified as '1-Ton' which would lead me to believe the calipers are different in some way. But that doesn't mean that 1/2 Ton calipers wouldn't fit.

Someone has, but not me. I remember whoever it was writing it up either here or in the Yahoo Group.. Didn't bookmark it since I don't have 5 lugs up front. From what I recall, i was pretty much a bolt-in installation. However, I was looking recently on the AutoZone site and they had brake pads specifically identified as '1-Ton' which would lead me to believe the calipers are different in some way. But that doesn't mean that 1/2 Ton calipers wouldn't fit.

I saw that too, then I noticed the same part number pads listed as 1/2 ton; same with calipers...

I'm assuming because if this its a wash and only the bracket is different.

The crazy thing is I am doing all of this to do 3 things:

3.) avoid paying out the wazoo for aluminum adapters

2.) use 1 spare

first.gif)grab a set of those spectacular stainless wheel simulators

I've hit nappa on the calipers since car part is only good enough to get you calling a junk yard on rusted gold.

for a caliper I will buy new.

That being said there are over 10 different calipers and makers for this vehicle; many were same part number in 1 ton and 1/2 ton. To me that says enough; it just doesnt assure me of what I have inside mine now... Im assuming bolt patterns will match but maybe brackets are different. Car part showed a different bracket. I cant believe no one in here has done this mod...lipssealed.gif

Pictures from Yahoo

sweet! i don't have a yahoo account so this helps big time. Those definitely look different but then again all 10 calipers look different; some small some large; some encased pads some had pads bulging out of them. we will know next Wednesday!

I have a lot of what ifs comming at my mech; between this and the Helwig sway bar it should get interesting.

Hey, that's mine!

Here's some more info on my swap, also quoted from the Yahoo group:

"The service manual page I included shows the six lug hub in a bubble in the

upper right and seems to suggest that it will just swap in for the five lug hub.

That's what I did and it fit just great. The swap does require different calipers.

The six lug rotors are thicker and I don't think the original calipers would fit

around them. As you can see in one of the pictures, the 1T calipers are

considerably beefier.

I did my swap on the cheap. I got the rotors and hubs including the six lug to

six lug deep dish adapters, the 1T brake calipers, and the dust shields from a

1990 Ryder truck at a U-pull salvage yard for $70. The bearing races in the

hubs I bought were pitted, so I pulled them and swapped in the races and

bearings from my original hubs which still seemed to be in good shape. The

brake pads weren't worn out yet and while the rotors were a little rusty, they

didn't have any grooves worn in them, so I let them be. I couldn't see any

difference in the dust shields, but since I had them, I swapped them anyway. I

don't think I would have needed to. I cleaned the bearings thoroughly and

packed them with new grease. The only new parts I installed were inner bearing

seals and cotter pins, so the entire swap cost me less than $100 and a few hours

of labor. I got six wheels with my 1T rear axle when I did that swap, so I

already had those.

It probably would have been wise to swap out the bearings and brake pads, but I

was short on cash. It wasn't difficult to take them apart, so I wouldn't feel

bad about doing it again to replace those parts when necessary."

Brad

84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

Pictures from Yahoo

Coy:

thanks for this!

So I can expect the hub to just bolt on to my spindle; but I will need to shell out cash for Bearings and Calipers then eh?

I would note that the caliper seems "beefier" because of its large mounting bracket that encases it. As mentioned some calipers are listed at Nappa auto as 1/2 and 1 ton via same part number; these are without bracket.

My strategy is to try same calipers removed from 1/2 ton bracket and put them in a 1 ton bracket. If that doesnt work then I will go to the gun and get new ones (refabs).

Ive been told to avoid the shiny silver coated calipers for some quality reasons.

May I ask; you say that the bearings swap out right>? do I need to get new bearings? are their seals opened or damaged in the swap process?

I'm trying to keep cost down on this as I didn't get as good a deal as you did.

That is correct. Removing the bearing races took a lot of determined tapping with a drift, but they were interchangeable between hubs The inner seals are pretty flimsy and are next to impossible to remove without damage. They're cheap tho, about $5 at AutoZone.

As I understand his message, he's saying the 1/2-Ton and 1-Ton bearings are the same and he used the best of the 2 sets he had after cleaning and repacking with grease. To do this requires removing the inner seal, so he bought a new one.

Crap, yard returned my money; they had a 5 lug thinking it was a 1 ton.

This is becoming a challenge; may need to go hit the RV yard in Elkhart...

can anyone tell me if the brake roters roters only are different between a six lug 4wd and the 6 lug one ton i know of course the final lug pateran is differant. but would it fit on the hub. 19 87

can anyone tell me if the brake roters roters only are different between a six lug 4wd and the 6 lug one ton i know of course the final lug pateran is differant. but would it fit on the hub. 19 87

the 4wd drive version has a full axle in front; other than that isnt the rotor the same? I would think it is on that year and that you would be ok, I have seen a guy in here do a mod and drop the full front axle in making 4wd campers from 2wd. He never complains about changing wheels in it; ergo the rear dually bolt and front match. Only the hub is different.

thank you i have a spair new 4wd roter gone see if it will fit the dolphin

The BCD is way different between the 4x4 6-lug and 1-Ton 6-lug. Won't fit I'm afraid.

Center Diameter.... ahhh keep forgetting that pesky center locking hub

One thing to remember, the true 1 ton rotors have a 6 bolt to 6 bolt adapter on them. The adapter changes bdc and the offset to that the dually rim has the correct offset. Buying the rotors without the adapters is less than useless.

WME

One thing to remember, the true 1 ton rotors have a 6 bolt to 6 bolt adapter on them. The adapter changes bdc and the offset ao that the dually rim has the correct offset. Buying the rotors without the adapters is less than useless.

WME

A guy at a yard (a toyota expert according to arete with other shops) says he has a couple 5 lug to 6 lug adapters off of an old flatbed. his adpaters are steel though; not aluminum.

Hes going to call me on Monday to see if his boss will let him sell them. Anyone hear of these steel adapters? All I have heard of were the almost $400 aluminum ones from the guy in California.

The factory 5/6 adapters are VERY rare, but are real.

The factory 5/6 adapters are VERY rare, but are real.

then I must be very lucky; thier 1985 1 ton flatbed had them and just died. They are parting it out. the guy claims all I will have to do is take wheel off and bolt these on; keeping my brake hardware intact; this is obviously an attractive option for me as the dealership just had all new brake stuff, calipers etc put in.

I remember my mech telling me that someone had just put in all new shoes etc in the old 1/2 ton axle before i had him rip it out. The dealer wasted money doing this instead of just replacing the death axle. strange. I did leverage the dealer on that to got them to knock off almost 2k off sticker.

anyhow the yard asked for $200 for the adapters shipped to door; i need to be at $120. we'll see how it goes.

Yep bolt on adapter, bolt on 6 lug dually rim, go for a drive.

Don't forget you will need a 6 bolt SPARE now.

Scored the adapters today. Alas now I am needed yet another thing; reverse lug nuts for the drivers side adapter. Seems the 1 ton axle upgrade on flat beds was an industrial setup and as such they did an R lug on drivers side.

To me I am ok with this; finding reverse threaded lugs cant be THAT hard ... right fellas?

Maybe I can get regular lugs pressed in?

thanks guys no big deal for me if the xtra roter i have had for some time doesnt fit the dolphin. it fits my 88 4wd xtra cab.

Get the nuts from the yard where you got the adapters.

If not then you should be able to change out the studs.

Last time I bought the L studs and nuts I got them from Toyota. Get the vin off the donor truck and try Toyota.

I havent been on here for a minute, yes the 2wd 1ton big 6 lug hubs will bolt on, the bearings are the same as a standard 2wd hub and same seal believe it or not.

I have a set going up for sale for both left and right sides with new rotors with both side lug nuts being the same direction not one different per side if anyone wants them.

I havent been on here for a minute, yes the 2wd 1ton big 6 lug hubs will bolt on, the bearings are the same as a standard 2wd hub and same seal believe it or not.

I have a set going up for sale for both left and right sides with new rotors with both side lug nuts being the same direction not one different per side if anyone wants them.

and calipers?

Once again the yard called me and is singing a different tune; they went to ship me the adapters and to thier surprise the owner was wrong; his old truck had the true 1 tons and the calipers had been scavenged.

will the half ton calipers work? the yard says they are the same but clearly in the pic above there are different "beefier" looking calipers. The yard I am working with says they have same bolt pattern and stats.

The interchange of some calipers from Nappa auto lends to this belief as the part numbers from some manufacturers are the same also.

As there were like 13 different caliper manufactures and many shapes; I am at a loss and trying to prep order stuff for the swap out .

The known:

I will be getting full assembly after the spindle including rotors but not including calipers

Will need:

according to the Yard I should replace bearings and will order them

The unknown:

how many bearings and what bearings will I need?

inner and outer? inner?

will I need calipers?