Fuel level

futar

Recently a friend purchased a 1989 Sunrader with the V6. We believe the gas tank is the 17 gallon one. The fuel gauge appears to read 3-4 gallons low. It only takes about 13 gallons when it reads near empty. I seem to remember that my Winnebagel Warrior reads low. What is the experience out there?

Thanks

My experience is the same with the 17 gal. tank; I pump about 13.5 gals. when I'm near E.

My theory is, this is intentional by Toyota with the inside-tank pumps for fuel-injection. I learned the hard way with my '92 F150 twin tanks because I ran them nearly dry, and a couple times completely dry, to establish accurate mpg. Well, after replacing each due to failures a while later, I read in fine print that the internal pumps depend on the fuel bath for cooling and Ford recommends filling at 1/4 full....

I've only come close once in the Toyota to running dry because I now carry ten extra gallons. I'll have to relate the story of that fillup in the trip forum -- very bizarre...

I like the note in one of the forums about the 25-gal. Transfer Flow tank with a built-in spare pump.

Winnebagel. Very nice.

I'm off to to my task, huh?

• 5 months later...

I thought that I had a 17 gallon tank on my 1990 Odyssey V6 since the truck manual stated

that I either had a 13.5 gallon or a 17 gallon tank. One day I put in 14.5 gallons so I naturally

thought I must have a 17 gallon tank since 14.5 gallons is greater than 13.5 gallons. On a

recent trip I ran out of gas. I put one gallon of gas in to get 2 miles to the gas station and then

put in 14.5 gallons, which adds up to about 15 gallons. I read somewhere afterwords that the

coach builders usually remove the factory gas tank and replace it with one that fits better after

the frame of the truck has been extended and the coach is fully built.

Dennis...

Go down to near the bottom of this forum and read "Leaky 26 gal Tank and Erratic Guage". I think that will answer a lot of questions for everyone.

I think a 13.5 gallon tank will hold 14.5 gallons especially if you fill up the filler hose. I can get over 5.5 gallons into a red plastic 5 gallon gas can.

Allen

• 1 year later...

I just posted a thread on the Toyota Campers board & have kinda sorta come to this conclusion that my 84Sunrader has a 16 or 17 gal tank, and that the gage sender in the tank is the stock one for the smaller tank, so it reads empty with several gals in it. Only my theory, but it seems to fit the evidence as reported.....Tony

• 10 months later...

I just posted a thread on the Toyota Campers board & have kinda sorta come to this conclusion that my 84Sunrader has a 16 or 17 gal tank, and that the gage sender in the tank is the stock one for the smaller tank, so it reads empty with several gals in it. Only my theory, but it seems to fit the evidence as reported.....Tony

I know, from experience, that there is several gallons of fuel left in my gas tank, when the gauge says empty. :rolleyes:

Tudy

84Dolphin "Cricket"