Sunrader 18.5 ft. V-6

88WIT

Were the 18.5 ft. Sunraders made into the v-6 era, and if so, do they come up for sale often enough to wait for the right unit?

I have seen a V6 18 footer but it was not for sale. I can not recall seeing one for sale. You might have to wait a long time but then one might pop up tomarrow. I think they are as rare as a 4x4.

I have seen a V6 18 footer but it was not for sale. I can not recall seeing one for sale. You might have to wait a long time but then one might pop up tomarrow. I think they are as rare as a 4x4.

Thanks. I'm headed to Ventura to see an '89 4-cyl. Gotta get my feet wet.

If they are that rare, they probably bring pretty good money. If you could find a 4 banger at a good enough price, it might be worth looking into an engine swap.

Next question is, if you are gonna go through that headache, do you really want the toy v-6? No one in the universe makes a better 4 than the 22R, but, if you want a v-6, you might look real hard at the gm 4.3. Better yet, shoehorn a small block chevy in there. Image the looks you'd get passing those big v-10 C classes at 80 mph up hill. And don't forget a set of wheelie bars!!!!!

I was looking at that one too. There are also a couple on Craigslist around San Francisco (santa clara and apato).

The Ventura unit was badly misrepresented, which I had an inkling of. But it was intended to be a learning trip anyway, and it was well worth the prop hop to Santa Barbara. I neglected to take sharp measurements for the three holding tank areas. I even got a little (drifting) sand under the tread of the rental car at two of the coastal campgrounds at the start of Highway 1.

Gotta find dirt every trip. Hawaii on April 1 (no fooling)....

If they are that rare, they probably bring pretty good money. If you could find a 4 banger at a good enough price, it might be worth looking into an engine swap.

Next question is, if you are gonna go through that headache, do you really want the toy v-6? No one in the universe makes a better 4 than the 22R, but, if you want a v-6, you might look real hard at the gm 4.3. Better yet, shoehorn a small block chevy in there. Image the looks you'd get passing those big v-10 C classes at 80 mph up hill. And don't forget a set of wheelie bars!!!!!

You're right about the sweetness of the 22RE; Every time I start it I ask aloud "are you really gonna let this go?" It has done right by me.

Packaged with the 18-footer it might be plenty, and better yet with a five-speed manual. I've yet to drive one that's up for sale, much less loaded for a cross country run. I would hate to invest the time and effort in another four and find I'm still not satisfied with hill climbing and wind resistance problems. I will be running at the weight limit. The degree of uncertainty is enough to put my focus on the best stock horsepower option, the V-6.

Many moons ago I put the finishing touches on Volvo B-16 running gear dropped into a '57 Morris Minor that was supposed to rocket away, but it was geared way down. I sprained my ankle at basketball and had to drive home and later to the hospital with improper clutch leverage from altered dimensioning. I'm cured of the extreme conversion bug.

I want to hold top gear in level flight, and keep about two-thirds of my road speed in the long or steep grades. As far as impressing people, I'm impressed with the basic chassis and that's about as far as I need to go. Where I've gone in the Itasca, the heartland, it seems no one is impressed with the Toyota under any circumstance. It's like being invisible to hunters, veterans, and at family campgrounds. Some very cool receptions. No one has refused service, but the room gets a little quiet when I ask to fill propane and it takes three gallons....

I got our 18 4x4 weighed at a public scale. 6800 pounds fully loaded for a 1 week trip. Our first trip to the Sierras was with a turbo that was not working. The rode that operates the waste gate had come off. We did not know until after the trip when a friend brought over a boost pressure gauge. Because of the lower compression we of course were making less horse power than a 22re. But it gave me a feel for the difference between turbo and non turbo. If I ever do buy another toy home it will be a V6. Motor swaps here in Calif are possible but one must follow the rules. To put a V6 which is fuel injected in to our toys it must have a fuel pump in the sealed tank, the correct warning lights on the dash, the v6 computer and everything else the v6 had for smog. If my turbo ever blows up I will stick with the turbo because the truck says turbo every where even the seats. But there are some substantial horsepower gains with after market turbos ($1800) and of course engine mods. A tricked out motor and a turbo that gives 9 pounds of boost would be sweet. For reference the stock boost is 5 to 6 pounds. The oem turbos have a reputation of getting holes burned thru the waste gate area and the exhaust is too small. They also take a long time to spin up. The newer t3/t4 aftermarket turbos spin up right away.

Just some more stuff for you to chew on. If you find a V6 buy it. You will be much happier.

• 4 weeks later...
The Ventura unit was badly misrepresented, which I had an inkling of. But it was intended to be a learning trip anyway, and it was well worth the prop hop to Santa Barbara. I neglected to take sharp measurements for the three holding tank areas. I even got a little (drifting) sand under the tread of the rental car at two of the coastal campgrounds at the start of Highway 1.

Gotta find dirt every trip. Hawaii on April 1 (no fooling)....

The one in Ventura seems to still be for sale.

What didn't you like about it when you saw it?

What did you feel was misrepresented?

I have left a message for the seller to get in touch with me so would like to hear your experience with this coach and seller

Hi Mike,

I agree the Ventura unit was badly misrepresented. Made the 6 hr drive only to be very disappointed. Water damage every possible place, add mold,cracked front windows, fiberglass damage (above cracked window), body rust, blinds and curtains need replacing and I can still recall the smell.

Not worth the trip at current price in my opinion. I did drive it, started right up and seemed to run fine. I believe the guy selling is the second owner, bought from original owner. Hang in there we did and found the perfect Sunrader.

Cheers from Salinas,

Tucker