i've been researching online and have come to the conclusion that the 3VZE engine in a 1989 toyota is an non-interference engine, meaning if the timing belt breaks the valves and pistons do not come into contact with each other causing very serious damage. not 100% of what i found agreed to this, but about 95% did. anyone here knows for sure? where would be the best place to get a definitive answer? i've also run across changing mileage ranging from 40,000 to 75,000 miles. i don't have the owners manual for the toyota i have. i'm selling a taurus and the buyer had that question about the engine, only reason i became curious. one piece of information i found was that in general, a dangerous word, engines with belts were non-interference and some with chains were interference type engines. i just want to avoid any big time problems i couldn't afford to address.

Look here and scroll down to toyota. Listed as an interference engine

http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm

LS

i've been researching online and have come to the conclusion that the 3VZE engine in a 1989 toyota is an non-interference engine, meaning if the timing belt breaks the valves and pistons do not come into contact with each other causing very serious damage. not 100% of what i found agreed to this, but about 95% did. anyone here knows for sure? where would be the best place to get a definitive answer? i've also run across changing mileage ranging from 40,000 to 75,000 miles. i don't have the owners manual for the toyota i have. i'm selling a taurus and the buyer had that question about the engine, only reason i became curious. one piece of information i found was that in general, a dangerous word, engines with belts were non-interference and some with chains were interference type engines. i just want to avoid any big time problems i couldn't afford to address.

The Toyota V6 3.0l 3VZE is a non-interference engine.

For an impartial opinion try the Gates belt site. You'll have to fill out the form for your particulars. The Gates app will show if the engine is interference or non-interference.

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598

My favorite Toyota technical site is YodaTech. Big time gear heads.

Here's what the Co-Founder and Administrator has to say: (30,000 posts)

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/3-4-interference-motor-10826/#post90071

The only places I have seen the 3ZVE called interference were sites that it was obvious the posters did not know what they were talking about.

I just replaced the timing belt in my rig at 75,000 miles (3VZE). While I was rotating the crank to verify correct cam timing (with the cam shaft pulley knock pins removed) a cam bolt tightened slightly and I accidentally rotated the right cam an entire revolution before I caught it. Result, no damage. Just had to re-time the cam shaft. If the engine was interference I would have jammed a piston into a valve. Whew!

My 1991 Owners Manual recommends replacing the timing belt at 60,000 miles.

Look here and scroll down to toyota. Listed as an interference engine

http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm

LS

That link says it is an interference engine... I'm very sure it is not... One that is, is my wife's new (to her) 05 4Runner (2UZ-FE) it must be done every 90,000 miles. I don't know about the 3VZ, but can guess it's about the same.

A.

strange you can get two answers. the site that says "yes" it is an interference engine goes on to say on a different page that is so many words it is not by listing the only toyota engines that were interference and the 3.0 is not listed. thanks for all the feedback, i think i believe it is NOT.

I would definitely agree with twoblocked as to the reliable source in the yotatech reference. If the founder of yotatech forums say's it isn't, then it probably isn't. Those guys wear toyota underwear and sleep with crankshafts under their pillow.

baja,

That's pretty funny....toyota underwear....

Let us now read from the Toyota 3VZE Field Service Manual, Chapter Two, Verse 12:

"...the piston head is concaved to prevent interference with the valves."

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/engine/61operatio.pdf

The FSM is your friend. Google, maybe not so much.

I would definitely agree with twoblocked as to the reliable source in the yotatech reference. If the founder of yotatech forums say's it isn't, then it probably isn't. Those guys wear toyota underwear to bed and sleep with crankshafts under their pillow.

Looking at my 1990 Toyota Factory Service manual (which I would be happy to mail you a PDF copy of if you want one),

the maintenance schedule states to replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles, but only if:

"Applicable to vehicles operated under conditions of extensive idling and / or low speed driving for long distances

such as police, taxi or door–to–door delivery use."

Even though most of our Toyota are probably not operated under the above stated conditions, I would guess that the

extra 3,000 to 4,000 pounds that the carry would make it close. I would recommend every 60,000 miles, especially

if the timing belt is original, just like tires, rubber timing belts age over time, 20 or so years will have some

impact on the timing belt's age.

Dennis B.

• 1 month later...

The 3L has a huge belt it's half again the size of a normal belt I see no reason you could not get away with 100,000 miles but as bifboof said it sure is old! It won't bend valves but when it brakes there you are just sitting in rush hour traffic in down town LA. I would recommend a water pump at the same time it's kind of part and parcel.