Any wheel manufacturers make a 16, or possibly 17 in the large 6 that we have?

No they are quite unique. The wide lug spacing is to accomidate the large center hole for the full floating hub. You would have to look into an adapter for a ford or other dually wheel type.

They I believe are all 8 lug but your going to have to jack that motorhome something fierce to get them to fit in there. There is a company called Custom and Commercial Wheel in southern California

that makes custom 15 inch duallies for the 4x4's that have been converted to full floaters. They charge about 180 each for them. Have no idea what they would charge for bigger or if they even would be willing.

http://www.customcommercialwheel.com/

LS

does anyone know of a 16" or 17 wheel that is in the large 6 pattern ? any custom companys that arent way outragous?

Stockton wheel is gone Greg. The old guy died and his son who was in charge of all the custom work sold the business.

The website is still there but if you noticed you can't click on anything to see whats available. Have no idea what the new people

are going to carry or if they are going to do custom work anymore. A friend had an order in for custom duallies for his Sunrader 4x4

at the time of the change over and got a call that they wouldn't be making them anymore. Custom and commercial is the only place I know of now

LS

Try these guys http://www.stocktonwheel.com/ they can build anything you want. The largest OEM for the 1 ton full floater is a 14", so any bigger is custom. The 4x4 wheels are 15" but 15" duals were never built OEM.

OMG I was told the son sold the business at Stockton Wheel but I was wrong. He killed himself. That's why the business closed. What a horrible shame.

LS

Stockton wheel is gone Greg. The old guy died and his son who was in charge of all the custom work sold the business.

The website is still there but if you noticed you can't click on anything to see whats available. Have no idea what the new people

are going to carry or if they are going to do custom work anymore. A friend had an order in for custom duallies for his Sunrader 4x4

at the time of the change over and got a call that they wouldn't be making them anymore. Custom and commercial is the only place I know of now

LS

• 2 weeks later...

It look as if I will be making a set of 16s then.

I will contact custom wheel to see if they will sell me just the centers, if not car-part.com has some I will buy 4 of then remove the centers (all but the wheel itself)

I can use a commercially available 16 inch wheel then make a jig to space them correctly and then weld the 2 pieces together.

it will open up more tire choices and availability as well for me later when I swap in a solid axle converting it to 4wd.

Some Dodge Sprinters come with dual wheels in 15 or 16 inch wheels. The 16 inch is on the 2007 and newer ones. They have a large center hub opening

and even a larger lug pattern than the Toyota full floater. All you would need are 2 adapters to fit to the Sunrader. This place in Texas has some. Says call for price

http://broncosalvage.com/default.aspx

LS

It look as if I will be making a set of 16s then.

I will contact custom wheel to see if they will sell me just the centers, if not car-part.com has some I will buy 4 of then remove the centers (all but the wheel itself)

I can use a commercially available 16 inch wheel then make a jig to space them correctly and then weld the 2 pieces together.

it will open up more tire choices and availability as well for me later when I swap in a solid axle converting it to 4wd.

Some Dodge Sprinters come with dual wheels in 15 or 16 inch wheels. The 16 inch is on the 2007 and newer ones. They have a large center hub opening

and even a larger lug pattern than the Toyota full floater. All you would need are 2 adapters to fit to the Sunrader. This place in Texas has some. Says call for price

http://broncosalvage.com/default.aspx

LS

thanks Linda S. I will look into that for sure, I can weld the existing holes up and redrill new 6 lug pattern.

EDIT- these are 6 lug, after hours of searching I still have no answer on wheel bolt pattern. this could be very promising, no fab work or welding whatsoever. I may run to a local salvage yard that has a set monday and pick one up for some R and D

Lug pattern on the Sprinter wheels is 6x205 and the center hub is very large. I don't think there is room to drlll a smaller lug pattern which is why I suggested adapters

Look here. No room for smaller. These are 15's but lug pattern is same on 16's

http://shop.wheelsexpressonline.com/15-SPRINTER-DUAL-WHEEL-15-SPRINTER-DUAL.htm

LS

thanks Linda S. I will look into that for sure, I can weld the existing holes up and redrill new 6 lug pattern.

EDIT- these are 6 lug, after hours of searching I still have no answer on wheel bolt pattern. this could be very promising, no fab work or welding whatsoever. I may run to a local salvage yard that has a set monday and pick one up for some R and D

Lug pattern on the Sprinter wheels is 6x205 and the center hub is very large. I don't think there is room to drlll a smaller lug pattern which is why I suggested adapters

Look here. No room for smaller. These are 15's but lug pattern is same on 16's

http://shop.wheelsex...RINTER-DUAL.htm

LS

I dont think any adapters are made with a 6 to 6 pattern especially the odd 6's.

I can have a steel ring water jet cut with Toyota bolt pattern in it and set it just inside the sprinter wheel, bevel both edges nicely for weld penetrarion and weld the center ring into the wheel (weld both sides of the ring) I have done a few sets of chevrolet rally centers for friends chevelles and camaros so they can have a factory wide wheel.

some people do 5 mph welds and some people do 100+ mph welds (meaning only trust the 5mph welds up to 5mph and the 100mph welds up to....) my welds are the 100mph ones lol.

I am picking up a sprinter wheel tuesday and starting on it. I have a waterjet cutter/local shop that cuts my flanges for exhuast that I will draw up my rings and have 4 cut for this project.

Again, thanks Linda S for pointing out the sprinter wheel- I have oodles of automotive sources and knowledge but I was unaware of that wheel and its specs. you saved me from recentering a wheel using Toyota centers and chevrolet rings

Since I know custom work is your business there are quite a few Sunrader 4x4's out there that still have 14 inch wheels in back and 15 on the front.

Another alternative to buying all new custom wheels in the back would be a great resource. If you like the results of yours it might be a good idea to offer them

to others. I have suggested Sprinter wheels in the past but your the first person who took me up on it. By the way there are a numer of adapter companies out there that will

make adapters to your specs. The old Dodge power wagons, the m715's and 53 to 66 ford f350's all use a 6x7.25 lug pattern to so they are in the same boat. I didn't suggest

you use wheels from these though because they are either split rims or locking rim widowmakers. Also they are too wide to ever fit the duallies in a Sunrader. Post pics

when your done

LS

I dont think any adapters are made with a 6 to 6 pattern especially the odd 6's.

I can have a steel ring water jet cut with Toyota bolt pattern in it and set it just inside the sprinter wheel, bevel both edges nicely for weld penetrarion and weld the center ring into the wheel (weld both sides of the ring) I have done a few sets of chevrolet rally centers for friends chevelles and camaros so they can have a factory wide wheel.

some people do 5 mph welds and some people do 100+ mph welds (meaning only trust the 5mph welds up to 5mph and the 100mph welds up to....) my welds are the 100mph ones lol.

I am picking up a sprinter wheel tuesday and starting on it. I have a waterjet cutter/local shop that cuts my flanges for exhuast that I will draw up my rings and have 4 cut for this project.

Again, thanks Linda S for pointing out the sprinter wheel- I have oodles of automotive sources and knowledge but I was unaware of that wheel and its specs. you saved me from recentering a wheel using Toyota centers and chevrolet rings

Since I know custom work is your business there are quite a few Sunrader 4x4's out there that still have 14 inch wheels in back and 15 on the front.

Another alternative to buying all new custom wheels in the back would be a great resource. If you like the results of yours it might be a good idea to offer them

to others. I have suggested Sprinter wheels in the past but your the first person who took me up on it. By the way there are a numer of adapter companies out there that will

make adapters to your specs. The old Dodge power wagons, the m715's and 53 to 66 ford f350's all use a 6x7.25 lug pattern to so they are in the same boat. I didn't suggest

you use wheels from these though because they are either split rims or locking rim widowmakers. Also they are too wide to ever fit the duallies in a Sunrader. Post pics

when your done

LS

True, you can get custom adapters made, but after wheel cost and adapter I would still be ahead doing a weld in ring- more so I would be getting a little wider 1. with the wheel itslef being 1" and then I am not sure the offset is spot on plus the adapter width. too much for me, I have ran an adapter on the front of my trail truck (83 hilux, Toyota) basicly as a way to give me 1.5 inches more offset and I know they are mor than up to the job as far as strength but there is alot of weight- 2 tires, 2 thick wheels, the motorhome itself plus gear on top of the fact I will be running a 32" skinny AT in back which also will stress the axle, yopu can see why I would lean towards the wheel and not the adapter.

I am using my sunrader to hunt out of this winter, I will not be embarking on any of this (4wd sawp) until the end of april but for now I am problem solving ANY of the issues that I am wanting to address now and not when it comes time to bolt in the transmission/transfer case and weld on the front spring hangers for the 4wd solid axle( I am using a Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 front axle, 1. for width 2. it carrys more weight than any of our motorhomes ever will in front (the 1FZFE 4.5L straight 6 engine for starters)

The fun part is I have everything for the swap (axle too) trans/transfer case weld on swap kit/shocks. but the wheels are my only hang up.

I will start a new thread when I do a set of wheels.

• 5 months later...

The wheels are done and getting sandblasted and ready for paint. I had a 3/4 ring water jet cut to center the larger Mercedes/dodge sprinter wheel opening onto the Toyota hub. the bolt holes dont come into the ring area at all.

I left the old holes when welding the rings in place, i seen no reason to fill them in.

I used a 2006/07 Mercedes/dodge sprinter wheel, it had the smallest center opening of the dodge sprinter wheels and didnt have all the silly holes in it- instead it has 6 large ovals. will post up pics in next couple days.

Tire size will be a 235/85/16 that measures out to 31.7 X 7.10, remember I am doing a 4wd conversion here.

• 5 years later...
On 2011-09-15 at 1:45 AM, Bryan B said:

does anyone know of a 16" or 17 wheel that is in the large 6 pattern ? any custom companys that arent way outragous?

I've acquired a gutted and butchered 17 or 18' camper on a 1982 that has a mystery full floating axle and uses 16" dually rims, and if I recall correctly, it is a 6 bolt. I have no assurances it is a manufacturer retrofit axle. It has lower profile tires on the duallies, and with the seemingly huge axle, the differential housing has just inches of ground clearance. Clearly the set-up is not quite at home on the mini motorhome. I know this post is quite old. I thought I would chime in here to try to generate some interest as I undertake to identify the mystery axle. The best clue I have so far is that there were some dana's for Chev's that had a 6-bolt patterns.

Old Ford axle or Dodge and some military vehicles. Some of them used the same bolt pattern as we do but big wheels. This place will make them. No website anymore just Facebook and I don't do Facebook but maybe you do. Stupid to me with no access to full catalog

https://www.facebook.com/Marsh-Racing-Wheels-160488757305445/

Linda S

9 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I think the only way we could help with your quest is to have more info:-

I'll endeavour to document the setup and share in the coming days.

5 hours ago, linda s said:

will make them

It's good to know that wheel's are being built in the event that they are needed. I'll be interested to learn if this setup including rims are simply ford, chevy, or dodge apparatus.

Thanks in advance. Vern

On 2017-06-13 at 7:45 PM, Derek up North said:

BTW, post some pictures of your 'mystery' camper. Maybe we can ID it for you.

My apologies, I was mistaken that it was a 6 - bolt hub. It is instead the 8-lug, 14-bolt housing, which most likely makes it a Chevy?

Also upon closer inspection, it says 'Okanagan' on the side. There is not left of the original interior, nor is there much frame I expect to find upon closer inspection. It may turn out to be simply an axle and other parts, despite it's good running condition.

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

Edited by June13