Doggie seat belts and water while driving

Rocinante Sunrader 88

We have a couple of big dogs (40# Portugese Water Dog and 60# Golden Retriever - English Shepard mix) who love to travel in our 21' Sunrader. Our big concern at first was that they want to be right behind us, and if we hit something we don't want them going through the windshield, much less taking us with them. To make matters worse, the old one likes to curl up in the step down to the door right behind the drivers seat, making us constantly paranoid while driving that the door might open.

Our solution: When we are driving, they each wear a harness, and we take a 14' rope with a clip on each end and tie it in the middle to one of the two metal posts which support the rear dinette then clip a dog to each end. The harness clip is on their back, so no one gets strangled. The post goes straight down into the floor, so it's hard to imagine anything that would make it give way.The bigger, older dog is totally happy lying under the table in her "den", while the young pup climbs up on the bench seat and looks out the window. When we stop and they need to be tied up outside the rope does double duty for that.

We've had them on trips as long at 15 days and it works great.

The other neat trick which we have found has to do with water while we are driving. We often go for long stretches and want to be sure that they have constant access to water. We have a big stainless water bowl, a medium size food bowl for the big dog, and a smaller food bowl for the small dog. While driving we nest all three of them and put water in the smallest, inner bowl. Anything that sloshes around pretty much stays in the outer bowls rather than getting on the floor.

I have used a plastic oil change bowl that is anti-slosh. It holds a couple of gallons.Tthe dogs haven't been bothered by any 'plastic' taste (they drink out of mud puddles for goodness sakes), the bowl doesn't tip over or slosh. Available at any auto supply store.

Dave,

Chelan, WA

• 5 months later...

I have thought of adding some hidden ring tie downs. They make some for trailer beds for tie downs that when not in use fold below deck level. Pet Smart has a doggie safety harness system. All together it might work well as long as the tie down is really supported in the floor well. There is a huge amount of G-Force in crashes. Once saw a guy who put his foot all the way through a coleman cooler during a crash.

Bought a no-spill water dish from camping world, its never spilled a drop and is small enough so that is never in the way of feet. We keep a fold up nylon bowl in the front and a water bottle when the dog gets thirsty while rolling. Our dog, Border collie mix about 55 ponds.

The Dog water dishs work great, we keep ours infront fo the fridge, where it stay put.

As for feeling like the door might open I always lock the deadbolt. I have never had the door open when not dead bolted, but it just feels better, and nobody is hoping in at a trafic stop.

On many RV's and campers, the post that holds up the dinette is temporary and just slips into a socket in the floor. They are meant to be removable. Make sure that you are not attaching your anchor rope to a removable post. Just something to think about. You could easily add a flying table to the flying dogs. I don't know what your table is built like.

The oil change bowl sounds good for me my 170# Irish wolfhound(Bigdog not his name just our tag I call the Toy our mobil dog house) needs a lot of water and I'm constantly kicking his bowl and spilling water,

I was thinking of a rack to mount on the door to hold two bowls or pony feed and water bags so he could use it while on the road or parked and outside

it's best if I can keep them elevated,any ideas?

The oil change bowl sounds good for me my 170# Irish wolfhound(Bigdog not his name just our tag I call the Toy our mobil dog house) needs a lot of water and I'm constantly kicking his bowl and spilling water,

I was thinking of a rack to mount on the door to hold two bowls or pony feed and water bags so he could use it while on the road or parked and outside

it's best if I can keep them elevated,any ideas?

We bought an elevated adjustable water and food one from I think Thrifty drugs. Works great. Google "elevated dog dish". As I mentioned before we have a water dish from camping world http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-hole-pet-dish/3496 it withstands foot kicks and driving really well. Not a drop spills out! We sit it just in front of the refer as well where it is out of the way.

post-1-0-15434900-1330809905_thumb.jpg

One of two Great Danes what we usually do is carry maybe 2 gallons of water in the fresh water tank (I hate to carry any more weight) just stop at 13.5 MPG that's fairly often and fill their dishes.

post-669-0-20567300-1330867047_thumb.jpg