North to Alaska

waiter

The Toyhouse is just about packed and ready to go. we'll hit the road first thing Saturday morning. Looks like about 30 days and 10,000 miles. If all goes well, we'll be swimming in the Arctic Ocean on the first of June.

I started a blog site and will try and keep it updated. I'll also try and post here links to the blog when I make a new post. This is my first attempt at a blog so bare with me :-)

Thank you everyone for helping me with the ToyHouse. So far, its been fun and a learning experience. :ThumbUp:

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hello John,

One of my fears on a couple of my out West trips was running out of gas.

Do you have a second or oversize (over 17 gallon) gas tank or bringing an

external fuel can with?

If not, something that you might want to consider is picking up an ATV fuel

can / cell. They are very rugged since they mount to the rack of an ATV. I think

Walmart sells a few models of them. I picked up a 1.5 gallon Kolpin fuel cell

with mounting rack (was going to mount it on the rear spare tire) for about $30.

They do have larger sizes.

I realized 1.5 gallons is not much, but should get one about 20 more miles

down the road.

And yes, I have done the walk of shame to fetch gas, it is not fun.

Dennis B.

The Toyhouse is just about packed and ready to go. we'll hit the road first thing Saturday morning. Looks like about 30 days and 10,000 miles. If all goes well, we'll be swimming in the Arctic Ocean on the first of June.

I started a blog site and will try and keep it updated. I'll also try and post here links to the blog when I make a new post. This is my first attempt at a blog so bare with me :-)

Thank you everyone for helping me with the ToyHouse. So far, its been fun and a learning experience. :ThumbUp:

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have two 5 gallon cans and a 2 1/2 gallon can. These fit very nicely in the generator compartment. I use the 2 1/2 just in case I run it out of fuel and carry it all the time.

The two fives are my spare gas for the trip up to Deadhorse. This is 250 miles from Coldfoot, with no services, period (no gas, reststops, stores, nothing, zip, zilch).

This is at the max range of the 17 gallon tank, so an extra 12 1/2 will be on board, we'll watch headwinds, etc to make sure I can get the 250 miles, (call ahead and make sure they have fuel at Deadhorse, don't want to get up ther and find out they don't have gas)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Stopped at Pink Mountain BC (Alaska Highway Mile 140). The town ( hotel store and campground) generates their generate their own electricity with a Diesel generator.

10.7 MPG on the last leg yesterday - 50 - 55 mph strong head winds, hilly, Oh yah - to top it off, $7.20 / gallon gasoline.

See Blog at:

http://iflyez.com/alaska/

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Seen another ToyHouse day before yesterday (Tuesday, I think. It was heading south on the Alcan, just north of Dawson Creek. I think it was an older model, 70's early 80's,nd it was short, not as big as my Dolphin.

Latest entry on the blog posted from Ft Watson Yukon, (WiFi hot spot)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Just came across the "Top of the World" hiway and headed down to Valdez. Toyhouse handled the 180 miles of gravel road with no problem (took it to the car wash in Tok, Alaska to get all the dust off.

See Blog at :

http://iflyez.com/alaska/

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

My wife and I did that road trip last year. We left from oregon and it took us 22 days to get to dawson city. my question is "are you seeing anything other than the road, museums, fishing, did you see the dancing girls at dawson cities "Diamond Tooth Girties" saloon. I take it the road across the top of the world has been repaired, it washed out last year. 84dolphin

Didn't spend a lot of time in Dawson city. As you suspect, we're seeing a lot of road, but there is a lot to see on the road :-)

Top of the World, Canadian side is in very good shape (gravel.) The US side is in good shape, but nowhere as good as the Canadian side.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm sitting in the Arctic Caribou Inn parking lot in Deadhorse Alaska. :ThumbUp::ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

I'll update the blog later today, but basically, it was 12 days travel (lot of side trips) and 5,612 miles. The only breakdown was a stone knocked out the right headlight, and that happened as we crossed into Canada from North Dakota.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Gotta check out your blog here soon for the pics! Sounds like an epic trip and something you've dreamed of doing for a long time. Here's to an extended Alaskan summer and the long days ahead! What time is it getting dark up there now? Can't believe June 21st is just around the corner. You should have a solstice party from your camp!

Also..

Holly crap 5,612 miles (some of it gravel roads) divided by 12 = ? ... fires up handy microsoft window's calculator application... = 467.666666 miles/day in what some would consider a fancy moving truck! I thought you were retired John? :) You spent a lot of time getting your rig ready for this once in a lifetime trip and your hard work is proving itself. My rig would have fell apart after 3 days of that! lol. Just sayin... just because your rig is proving to be bullet proof, don't you go trying to keep up with that well oiled machine. I'm just a little concerned for your safety and hope that average starts dropping now that you're there and will be parking it.

... Subscribed!

Stopped in Cactus Pete's RV Park in Jackpot Nevada for the night.

Seen two other Toyhouses yesterday, One in Benton City Wash yesterday morning (A Sunrader, don't know what year)

And a Winny in the Walmart parking lot yesterday afternoon Twin Falls Idaho.

We're heading home to Ohio, should be back there in a couple days.

I need to update the Blog again.

www.iflyez.com/alaska

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

We're Home - WOW What a trip.

just under 11,000 miles. Quick Summary:

Drove entire length of Alaska Highway.

Drove entire length (There and back) Dalton Highway

Drove the Top of the World Highway

Feed Eagles in Valdez Alaska.

Visit in Anchorage Alaska

Visit in Fairbanks Alaska

Walked on several Glaciers

Panned for Gold (no, didn't get any)

WALKED ON THE ARCTIC OCEAN :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

Plus a lot, lot more

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Sounds like a great trip! I hope to get up there someday... Thanks for the blog! I loved reading it!

I was on the look-out for your Dolphin as you passed through BC, but I'm guessing you must of taken the Sumas crossing...

Glad to hear your home safe & sound.

Andrew.

I just uploaded the Excel file for my fuel usage

It is in a zipped folder (Dolphin Fuel Usage Alaska Trip) in the "Toyota Motorhomes Files & Manuals"

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 6 months later...

Hey John. Was fun reading the updates in your blog since the last time I visited. You really put together a nice keepsake of your trip. Bet your wife and you have a great time sharing your blog with friends. What's your next adventure?

Thanks;

I was just commenting to Bob about the blog, I found a site, Blog 2 Print that reads your blog and they can convert it to a nice PDF file or a hard copy (color of course) with front cover photo etc.

Any way, Jodie takes this book EVERYWHERE. I'm sure everyone of her friends would like to get the book and BURN IT, as they've seen it a hundred times.

We're getting ready to head west (Arizona) to spend Christmas with the kids, then not sure where we go from there! San Diego, LA, San Francisco, ????

We'll do some cold weather traveling as we head back east, so I have the heaters all checked out and carry the extra propane bottle.

I might put up a blog for the travel!!

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto