Is this a better alternative to air bags? easier?

I've never changed/installed either, but it seems to me the simplest would be to replace what you've got installed with the same thing. All brackets and holes are already there.

Also, from your first link:- "The Ride Control system is recommended for all light duty, or leaf spring vehicles such as your Toyota Pickup."

I don't think this really applies to the 1-Ton Pickup loaded constantly to ~6000lb. They only give 'up to' 2000lb of lift. These offer 'up to' 5000lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2115T.html (also fit earlier pickups, apparently. Mods maybe required.)

I don't know what you have installed now.

I have air bags, but they are not good for us since we will be taking the huntsman to fossil digs and gold prospecting where rocks can easily damage the bags or lines, is there a non-air bag solution?:help:

Edited by rubinscube

after 8+ hours of searching for alternatives to air bags,plus great advice from forum members :ThumbUp:, I have contacted a manufacture of a super sumo spring that really is an air bag with no air. in a couple of weeks, after I send some images and specs, I will hopefully have a "leak-free" solution. http://www.supersprings.com/sumosprings_rear_overview_trucks-vans.asp

what makes them nice is that I can use the existing air bag mounts because they just slide right in with a few bolts to hold em in place. (I don't own a saws-all)

The thing about airbags are they are adjustable. I don't believe there is one set spring tension that is applicable for every rig. In other words, Joe down the street might need to run 50 pounds of pressure to get a stable ride where I might have to run 80 pounds to achieve the same ride because of weight differences. Having the ability to fine tune is priceless. Air bags are rubber and do have a life span, so does closed cell foam. Not trying to burst your bubble but I personally think the air bag system is a better choice for our application.

AHRGG!!:ranting2:

I have checked my air bags and the mounts are welded on!:ranting2:

this is the last straw. I have scheduled an appointment with a local suspension shop that is going to install a new and better leaf spring with a rough country shock set design for our trips to geological and fossil sites(dirt roads with rocks). no air bags for me ever, even if it costs me my kidneys :rip_1:

this was going to be experimental. I spoke with the owner and creator of these sumo springs. I liked the fact that you could stab them with a knife and nothing would happen.:weight_lift:

I don't see a listing for Toyota. You've spoken with them? How did they figure out what size you need? Did they cross reference to Firestone Air Springs? Don't forget, they're not adjustable.Someone had better get it right the first time!

I don't know of anyone who has had one get punctured. New leaf springs are a good idea, not sure about the Rancho shocks, maybe the soft-ride ones. Your suspension shop hopefully will check to see how much weight each wheel is carrying. You should be fully loaded for a trip before the weigh. Otherwise just throwing on some beefier springs is like trying to shooting ducks in the dark.

So my question is what are you fearing about airbags besides being punctured which is close to winning the lottery in odds. Air bags should last 8 to 10 years and they will give you a very comfortable ride. Last thing you want to do is transfer all that road shock into your coach by creating a over stiff suspension.

as a retired truck driver my experience with air bags has been thorough enough to say I do not like them. they leak, and usually when you are far from civilization. I prefer reliability over comfort, so stiff springs and a hurt rear-end to me is more preferable. since the previous owner unfortunately welded the air bag brackets in place, my options are becoming expensive. I wish I could just find some helper leaf springs and be done with it.:headbonk:

Edited by rubinscube

ya if you plan to do a lot of dirt travel (hundreds and hundreds of miles), air bags WILL eventually get punctured. They just do. I have many friends who have had to repair them out in the middle of nowhere far from civilization (where they fail most!) which is a major drag. Bring plenty of tire repair patches! haha. One person I know, who drove from Wyoming to Panama, kept a blog of how many times the bags were repaired; something like 3 times over the course of the 6 month trip!

At the same time tho, airbags are pretty damn nice and might be worth the hassles. For myself, emergency repairs like this is just part of the fun... for awhile at least. Dunno, never owned a set but will try them out and see how frustrating they end up being.

www.timbren.com

Last March I bought an 87 Dolphin. The previous owner had removed the air bags and installed the timbren kit. I found the vehicle too low in back. The axle was against the bumper just standing still empty, and the srpings had no arch. I had a spring fabrication shop add one leaf on each side. Now I have an inch of clearance between the axle and the rubber chushion, and the vehicle is just slightly high in back with graywater and black water tanks empty. But this is the only Toy I have driven. Never had one with airbags to compare it with. I just accept what I have and drive. Don't know what Im missing. I had better mention that previous owner also replaced front tires with P195 passenger car tires while rears are the recommended 185C. That may have raised the front just a bit and thereby lowered the rear.

I had better mention that previous owner also replaced front tires with P195 passenger car tires while rears are the recommended 185C. That may have raised the front just a bit and thereby lowered the rear.

I think it best to run the same tire on the front as the rear. You have to consider pot holes and other road hazards and the amount of weight that the actual vehicle is carrying forward. Weight and G-Force are tied together, the more weight behind something the more g-force in the result. Just my thoughts on it. Might be a grey area because of the suspension though. I did not know this before but there are special tires for trailers because they are being pulled and the resulting g-forces the tires experience. Just seems reasonable to me that if your vehicle weighs a certain amount all the tires should be rated for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought new rough country leaves and struts. Then I cut out 3 springs out of the old leaf pack, also grabbed one overload bar. Bought a new center pin from lordco. bolted it all together and installed it on my rig. I have almost no sway now even under load with gear.

I think air bags can work great.....just not for me.