Just about finished with the interior makeover.

Repaint, walls and ceiling

New clock

New Thermostat

New Blinds

Washed Shears

New Curtains and hardware

Tiedowns for Microwave

Under-Cabinet TV with AM FM and DVD player

Fix Refrigerator Igniter

Replace Furnace Blower motor

Upgrade DC Converter

John MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-17211400-1296442623_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-76817600-1296442637_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-49919300-1296442647_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-40643700-1296442662_thumb.jp

Went through today, straightened the door hinges (some were bent) also replaced several of the door lock catches that were missing or broke.

Got the inside looking good. I havn't been able to do anything with plumbing yet, Its still to cold. but the gut I bought it from indicated all the water system were OK. so Hopefully no surprises in a couple months whe I put water to it.

post-4544-0-69309800-1296446156_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-82471000-1296446171_thumb.jp

Spiffy!

Nice Job John, I am still in the make over stage, made an oak (flooring) dining table with matching front piece for bed this last weekend, wish I were as far along as you are, good luck on the water system.

Thanks.

The wife and I talked about re-doing the floor. I like carpet, it adds sound and therm insulation. The carpet isn't in bad shape so we're going to go with it for now

In March or April, we call a carpet cleaning guy to do an annual cleaning of all the carpets in the house. We'll pull the Dolphin around and ask him how much additional to do the carpets and seat cushions in the ToyHouse.

Your interior looks nice!

I bought a carpet steam cleaner from Costco and did ours. Sometime later though I started replacing the foam in the couch. Foam only really lives about 15 years if your lucky. Made a big difference. Getting ready to do the other half of the couch and dinette seats. I do plan on replacing the carpet but I am going back with a close nap like what you see in hotels. Much easier to keep clean.

Very nice and clean! I love the clock your wife found too! I’ll have to keep my eye open for something similar.

Andrew.

Finished up the interior Makeover. The Cab-over has been repaired and the curtains have been hung.

So, not counting your labor (don't we all work free for ourselves?), what do you figure you have in it, including original purchase and all the repairs and upgrades? I'm jealous - it's beautiful!

I've been keeping track of my expenses. Summary is:

Purchase - $5000

Retrieval (Airfare and fuel, New Mexico / Ohio) $620

Upgrades / Maintenance / Repair $2004

Total to date $7,624

This is for an 88 Dolphin 22RE (Fuel Injected) Auto Transmission 56,000 miles. The unit is now up to date and the interior is like new. A couple benefits of buying in New Mexico, there is ZERO rust on this unit. ALSO - The 1600 mile drive from NM back to Ohio, I've gained confidence and trust in the unit. :ThumbUp:

All mechanical are up to date:

filters, wipers, thermostat, hoses, fluids, belts, brakes, plugs, cap rotor, add Trans cooler, repack bearings on all four corners

Interior repairs include:

All new roof vents and covers, Reseal exterior seams, Front door Window/frame, Coach Battery, TV Antenna, paint, curtains and hardware, Furnace blower, Cabinet Hardware, Propane system repair/upgrade (Regulator, hose upgrades (ACME type), Tank inspection, spare Vertical tank)

UPgrades:

Coach DC Converter, Coach AM/FM/DVD/TV, LED lamps, Truck AM/FM radio, Truck Remote Starter, 1600 watt AC inverter, 600 watt microwave oven, Truck CB Radio and Antenna

I still need to purchase new tires. I figure $100 each so that will be about $700. This needs to be done before the next trip in a couple weeks.

I've been keeping track of my expenses. Summary is:

Purchase - $5000

Retrieval (Airfare and fuel, New Mexico / Ohio) $620

Upgrades / Maintenance / Repair $2004

Total to date $7,624

I still need to purchase new tires. I figure $100 each so that will be about $700. This needs to be done before the next trip in a couple weeks.

So, by the time baby gets new shoes, you'll have less than $8,500 in a rig that is spiffy and new inside and out and you will know everything there is to know about it. On top of that, you've had all the satisfaction of making all the improvements with your own hands. What a deal! I hope you enjoy it.

Looks great waiter! You run a tight ship. I especially enjoyed reading about the clasps you've added to the outside compartments and the reference to cockpit canopies.

How much do you plan to use that microwave? For an extended trip to Alaska, the counter space vs. the convenience of a microwave might be more desirable. Dunno, never had the luxury of a microwave in a camper.

Sounds like it might be a little too cold where you live this time of year, but a good idea might be to start camping out of your RV in your driveway to see how things might go. Cook all your meals, use the shower, bathroom, wash dishes etc.

I especially enjoyed reading about the clasps you've added to the outside compartments and the reference to cockpit canopies.

Often, we can prevent problems by simply changing the way we do things (Don't booby trap yourself) I have a lot of stories about how pilots booby trap themselves simply by not following procedures.

Anyway, Thanks.

Microwave

Don't know - If I had a choice between a stove and a Microwave, Id take the microwave.

The main issue will be power - Anytime we run the 1600 watt inverter, we'll probably run the truck to help pick up the load. (I installed a remote starter specifically for this purpose)

Water

Can't do a lot with water yet, to cold (17 deg this morning)

I'll take some Windshield Washer antifreeze fluid with us on the Florida trip. Probably use the toilet (urine only) and flush with the windshield washer fluid. Maybe do some dish wash and then dump washer fluid in the gray tank. On the way back we'll empty the tanks before we get into freezing weather.

• 3 months later...

I used good quality satin finish. Nice thick paint, with thick roller, whatever texture the wallpaper had, it looks good on the paint.

Double check with your paint person, tell them your painting over vinyl wallpaper and what kind of primer should you use (I used Zinsser 123)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 9 months later...

John I notice your bathroom was a different configuration than what I have seen? Did you do that? We took out the vanity and my husband recessed the wink into the closet. We want to move the toilet away from shower about six inches. The toilet connects directly into holding tank. How could we accomplish what we want to do? You did an amazing job.

Kimbolena

86Conquest

• 2 weeks later...

looks great! feel free to come to CT and do mine!

Repaint, walls and ceiling

New clock

New Thermostat

New Blinds

Washed Shears

New Curtains and hardware

Tiedowns for Microwave

Under-Cabinet TV with AM FM and DVD player

Fix Refrigerator Igniter

Replace Furnace Blower motor

Upgrade DC Converter

John MC