26 & 30 Gallon Vintage Tanks

Diesel_Aggie

Going through some old stuff and found my paper Aero Enterprise auxiliary tank catalog from about 10-12 years ago. It shows 4 tanks that may be of interest here.

1980-1999 Toyota Pick Up Long wheel base 2WD & 4WD, Diesel & EFI. 26 gallon replacement tank (we guarantee 20 gallons it may be possible to get more), we make and install this tank at our facility only. Part number 1324A.

1985-1999 Toyota Motorhome, gas, diesel & EFI. Replaces factory tank and uses dead space in front of factory tank. You do not lose spare tire. 30 gallon replacement tank. Part number TOYMH-30.

When I look on their website I do not see them listed anymore. Maybe someone will volunteer to call and report back to the forum. http://aerotanks.com/index.html

They also show 1980-1998 Nissan/Datsun applications. Part numbers 26 gallon - 1322A and 30 gallon 1322

• 2 weeks later...

Going through some old stuff and found my paper Aero Enterprise auxiliary tank catalog from about 10-12 years ago. It shows 4 tanks that may be of interest here.

1980-1999 Toyota Pick Up Long wheel base 2WD & 4WD, Diesel & EFI. 26 gallon replacement tank (we guarantee 20 gallons it may be possible to get more), we make and install this tank at our facility only. Part number 1324A.

1985-1999 Toyota Motorhome, gas, diesel & EFI. Replaces factory tank and uses dead space in front of factory tank. You do not lose spare tire. 30 gallon replacement tank. Part number TOYMH-30.

When I look on their website I do not see them listed anymore. Maybe someone will volunteer to call and report back to the forum. http://aerotanks.com/index.html

They also show 1980-1998 Nissan/Datsun applications. Part numbers 26 gallon - 1322A and 30 gallon 1322

I just called them and spoke to Jacob and he said they would be $650 for one and it would take more then 10 to get a discount which might not be much and the kicker is they never shipped any of these because they are a major pain to install.

They did the install at thier place. He said he can fax the plans for the tank.

Have a great day all !!

Gary in Maryland

Edited by gpchoochoo

Since you've already got a dialog going with Jacob, how about asking for the plans he offered. Might be useful info to have in the Files. Maybe someone could find another (cheaper) source. My son lives in Hong Kong. He could probably get them for $12.79 (if we ordered 5000!). Sure would be nice to have a drawing of the standart 17.2 gallon tank to compare it to.

That's not a bad price for a larger aftermarket fuel tank. If you look at full size pick up trucks that's right in the ball park. If you were local or could arrange your vacation to go by there this is probably a pretty good upgrade. Thanks for reporting back so the data is here for reference.

Since you've already got a dialog going with Jacob, how about asking for the plans he offered. Might be useful info to have in the Files. Maybe someone could find another (cheaper) source. My son lives in Hong Kong. He could probably get them for $12.79 (if we ordered 5000!). Sure would be nice to have a drawing of the standart 17.2 gallon tank to compare it to.

Sorry Derek I don't have a fax set up. I asked if he could email it and he said no. I was thinking the same thing about adding it here. If you give me a number to have him fax it to I'd be happy to call them back.

Have a great day

Gary in Maryland</SPAN>

Thanks.

After looking at the drawing, I find it hard to imagine how anyone would work with it. I'm a retired mechanical Engineer and started out on the 'board'. I'd have been shot for turning out something like that!

I have to say I agree.

I've been watching this thread. That tank seems extremely complicated. (looking at the drawings) Would a simpler 10-15 more gallons, be more cost effective.

I'll climb under mine tomorrow and see if there's a place to attach a small tank, and just plumb it into the existing tank with a low point and a high point vent.

Here is a picture of the 20 gallon ( so I have been told ) extra tank that lives behind my rear end.

I am gonna put a small pump so I can pump it up to the main tank once in a while so the gas for the genset doesn't get too old.

I thought about hooking them together but worry that one would overfill the other if parked on a hill and more then 3/4 full.

Besides it wont be that much problem to flip a switch for a few minutes.

Have a great day !!!

GP

post-4156-091684300 1294847404_thumb.jpg

post-4156-029954700 1294847706_thumb.jpg

When there's not 12" of snow on the ground I might spend some time in a junkyard measuring gas tanks in the hopes of finding something off the shelf that would be happy in that location. No need for it to be wall to wall for maximum capacity, but an extra 10-15 gallons would be nice if traveling a route not well served by gas stations.Of course there's always the problem of finding a new home for a spare tire.

I need at least 10 more gallons for my Alaska trip. I may simply carry two 5 gallon containers. But here are some options:

I was looking around on the Internet last night. Came up with some ideas:

15 Gal - This one might fit where the spare tire used to be, maybe like GP's setup. (This company has a Lot of gas tanks and accessories)

http://alturl.com/cgsz7

Or this one:

http://alturl.com/jn7v8

12 Gal, This one might fit in the Generator compartment and can be purchased through Walmart's Web site for $59.

http://alturl.com/5v72k

Another potential:

http://www.justgastanks.com

• 3 weeks later...

Try autopartswharehouse online, also try ebay, there is a place in Canada & NY. I found these by googling "after market toyota truck parts" and the like. The gas tanks are out there, trust me, but it takes awhile to find them. If no luck email me at jojonrs@verizon.net and I can do more research for you. I'm posting today re: coach battery not charging (in electrical). Anyone that can help me, I would appreciate it. There is a reference to gas tanks connected to serial # but the best is to take tank down and compare to pictures. I don't know that the serial # reference is conclusive. Joelene

• 1 month later...

i don't know any more about fitment... but in my engine swap research i found out the Toyota T100 has a stock 90 Litter (23.7754847 US gallons)Gas tank. I found a guy here that is parting out a 93 t100 cheep, i'll work on him to get the tank cheep :) and take some pictures if possible.

Andrew.

Nice. Let us know how it turns out. Have you done any eyeballing/measuring to indicate it might fit in the available space? Is the filler in around the same location? Similar method to attach?

Sorry Derek, I have not had a chance to get out and have a look at one... Only know that it is a bit bigger. Also, the 92-94 T100's have the 3VZ V6 so that's the one we will need. (Right hand side gas tank) I believe like all other truck/4runners, when they updated the engine to the 5VZ V6 it was swapped over to the left.

The guy that is selling it cheep will only part it out if someone buys something major first... Also he is now on vacation for a month (back home around April 11th) so it will be a while for me to get to it...

Andrew.

• 2 months later...

I had emailed Aero Tanks about their 30 gal tank for my 85 dolphin. He said they never made it to be shipped out but they could install it at their shop for $965.00. That does seem like a little much but need to replace my stock fuel tank as it is right now so I am not sure how much that is going to cost me. Also I am installing a E85 convertion kit on my rv for my 8000 mile trip next month and I would like to be able to travel as much as my trip as possiable on E85 and also my generator runs on E85 so I am least have to have E85 in my tank at night to be able to run the a/c. A 30 gal tank would for sure help for this I just hate putting $1000 into this thing for a fuel tank when I only paid $2000 for the whole RV.

I had emailed Aero Tanks about their 30 gal tank for my 85 dolphin. He said they never made it to be shipped out but they could install it at their shop for $965.00. That does seem like a little much but need to replace my stock fuel tank as it is right now so I am not sure how much that is going to cost me. Also I am installing a E85 convertion kit on my rv for my 8000 mile trip next month and I would like to be able to travel as much as my trip as possiable on E85 and also my generator runs on E85 so I am least have to have E85 in my tank at night to be able to run the a/c. A 30 gal tank would for sure help for this I just hate putting $1000 into this thing for a fuel tank when I only paid $2000 for the whole RV.

Fuel Tank:

It comes down to what you value versus what you are willing to spend. A large tank on any vehicle is a big plus for me. It allows me to pick and choose where to get fuel on my schedule. I don't have to worry about running out in the middle of the night or in a rural area. I like to camp at out of the way places and the stock 17 gallon tank can make that pretty challenging in West Texas, Utah, Colorado mountains, etc. The other reason I like big tanks is I can avoid buying fuel in areas where I know the price is high. California, Chicago, resort areas, etc. It allows me to earn back some of my money. I think the 17 gallon tanks are supplied aftermarket at a good price for all but the earliest Toyotahomes. How long to you plan to keep the vehicle? If you are selling it next year it's probably not worth the expense. If you are keeping it 10 years it very well might be.

Ethanol:

What makes you want to run on E85? Are you aware of all the drawbacks? Hygroscopic (attracts water), lower energy content reducing fuel mileage/range, much shorter shelf life, attacks rubber and metal unless the full system in properly upgraded, poor availability in many areas and your engine may not like it. As a 1985 you might be fuel injected which would help. I don't know if any of the generator companies offer kits to run E85. What is the effect if you are camping at altitude? You can upgrade your rubber fuel lines to be E-85 resistant. You also have to consider every rubber component in the fuel system such as rubber in the filler neck, rubber o-ring where the fuel sending unit goes in, any rubber on the fuel pump, etc. A carburetor is unlikely to appreciate E85 much at all. I'm not aware of any carb kits that are E-85 tolerant. E-85 also causes corrosion. Will the metal tank be approved for it? The metal sections of the fuel line? The throttle body? The injectors? If I'm not mistaken, GM uses different injectors and different fuel mapping on their E-85 vehicles. Do you have someone who can custom program the computer to run properly on E-85?

This sounds like a major disaster waiting to happen unless your vehicle has already successfully run on E-85 for several thousand miles in all types of weather. I see you say your generator will run on E-85. I'd like to learn more about that. If you need E-85 at night but you had to fill up with 100% unleaded on the previous tank, would you be able to burn enough of that fuel before parking for the night? Will it mix together rapidly enough even if you do top off with E-85? One of the problems I've read over and over about E-10 is that it's hard to keep it in suspension.

...my generator runs on E85 so I am least have to have E85 in my tank at night to be able to run the a/c.

I'm no gearhead, so perhaps I just don't understand, but I thought any engine that will run on E85 will also run on "normal" gasoline - and usually better. It is modifying the tanks, fuel lines, etc. for E85 that is a pain and I am not aware of any advantages. What am I missing here?

The vehicles manufactured to run E-85 from the factory such as many GM products for the last 5 years can run anything from E-85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) all the way to E-0 (100% gasoline). GM had to make changes to the vehicles in order for this to work. I can't take a non Flex Fuel GM vehicle and run E-85. Since E-85 has less energy content per gallon than E0 I'm going to have to inject more of it into the cylinder for a given power level than E0. This may create a need for a larger capacity fuel injector to maintain max power and full throttle. GM also has to install a Flex Fuel Sensor to tell the computer what blend of fuel is in the tank so the computer can make the necessary adjustments. One plus on E-85 is a higher octane rating.

I've learned something from this thread....there are kits available to convert to E-85:

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://www.change2e85.com/images/store_version1/FFIInstallationManual.pdf

It seems to me these kits give you the basics you need to run, but I have strong doubts it does everything needed for your vehicle to live a long, healthy trouble free life. I sure wouldn't want to take an 8000 mile trip with something like until I had several thousand local miles with no issues.

I have had some experience tuning with E85 in the last few years and have had very good results in just about every setup I run it in. I am a big fan of ethanol so I tend to lean that way on most issue's. As far as runing my 1985 toyota on E85 yes I plan to just purchase a converter from change2e85.com I have run these kit's before with nothing but sucess. I do understand these kits are not tuning for max power on a dyno or anything but they do run your engine in the safe zone so there is nothing to worry about there.

I have herd all the stuff out there, ethanol eats all rubber, ethanol with melt right through your engine block, ethanol attrachs water, etc. Yes this stuff might be somewhat true in some setups it does not effect anything 99% of the time. I am really big into the performance jet ski world and have a few high performance ski's right now and all of them run on E85. As far as ethanol sucking up water like a vaccum if I run it in a stand up jet ski which is most likely the most water setting for and engine to run in, ethanol would have no problem running in a car. Yes in a lab does ethanol suck up water but so does gas. I believe that it's even better that ethanol does this becasue all water that does get in your fuel system ethanol seperates in so that it doesnt go through your engine all at once. The same theroy the product dry gas does when you add it to gas.

As far as rubber parts being eaten by ethanol this is ture with cars and trucks from the late 70's and back. As after the first gas shortage american began mixing ethanol with fuel so all fuel system's can handle ethanol. If you have a early 80's fuel system is it a good idea to freshen it up with at least some fresh fuel lines? Yes the system is 30 years old and is most likely due for and upgrade no matter which fuel your running.

Now there are a few reason why I really like E85. First it is a far better fuel then gas no matter what all the people that hate it out there. E85 does have a lower btu rating then gas it doesn have an octane rating of 105. In america right now we do not use this fuel properly at all. All we do is take an engine that can run 87 octane in the safe zone and just dump e85 into the system and yes it runs. This makes everyone just hate ethanol and say it stinks and they lose a lot of MPG. There is already engine's out there that have different valve timing to rise or lower compression in an engine that is a flex fuel engine. With these engine's they can run on gas or ethanol but when ethanol is added the engines computers can make major adjustments. Advance the timing a lot more, not just a few degrees like today's engine's, and also rise the compression up into the 13.5/1 or 14/1 range. This is going to give this engine a huge HP boost and will in return rise the MPG rating back even to that of gas. This is something that would also make buyer's want to buy E85 over gas as you would gain somewhere in the 50HP range.

Besides the fuel being a much better fuel over gas I also like the idea of where it comes from. As of right now ethanol is america comes mostly from corn grown by american farmers. As most people now this is not a markety that is filled with rich people. I grew up in a farming town and I was there with ethanol really took off in the early 2000's. The corn price went up 4X in a matter of a few year's. This was a huge boost for farmers who barely get by every year. New barns started going up, new tractors where bought, etc. Yes I know this does drive up food prices some but this also keeps gas prices down somewhere around 50 cents a gallon. So what your spending at the store your saving at the pump and the best part is the money stays here in a industry that needs it. Corn is a very small part for the future of ethanol as there are better ways to get more ethanol from sources such as cellulosic and alge ethanol. The technology is up and coming for american made ethanol it just need's to be driven by demand. Like I said right now ethanol in america is used the wrong way. If we change the way we use it and drive the demand up ethanol pump's will become the new standard and will also drive a glod rush in the ethanol technology industry.

For my generator all I did was retune the carb by drilling the main jet out a little bit so it will run on E85. Most small engine's will "run" on e85 but they are running on the lean side and will not run right so you need to get it a little more fuel. If you have an older generator with a tuning screw you can just open that up to give the engine more fuel. If you have a newer engine you will have to drill the main jet out to provide more fuel. Here is a video of someone that just added oxytane to e85 in a small engine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIAb5WQr1xU if you need to drive out the jet you will have to get a jet drill kit like this. http://cgi.ebay.com/30Pce-HSS-Mini-Jet-Drill-Bits-Pin-Vise-Holder-/270760678295?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item3f0a981397 It is a little more work to make sure I have E85 in my tank at night and not gas for my generator. I have a route marked out to hit as many E85 stations as I can http://e85prices.com/e85map.php there are going to be a few nights where my last fill up might now be E85. So I am going to have two 5 gal fuel jugs on board that i will fill up with E85 at a station and on those nights where my last fill up cant be e85 I will let it get as low as I can before pulling over for the night and then dump the 10 gals of E85 in the tank for the generator. I am only going to have to do this for two nights though on my trip as far as I have it planned out.

This is a topic I can ramble on for hours about but this is the baseline for me on running E85.

• 1 month later...

i don't know any more about fitment... but in my engine swap research i found out the Toyota T100 has a stock 90 Litter (23.7754847 US gallons)Gas tank. I found a guy here that is parting out a 93 t100 cheep, i'll work on him to get the tank cheep :) and take some pictures if possible.

Andrew.

Well, I guess he was a better salesman than I was a buyer... (Actually, the truck was almost free so i could not pass it up) :)

IMG_1129.jpg

I'm super busy at the moment but i will get some measurements on the tank soon! :ThumbUp:

Yes, it is nice... As soon as I saw it (actually after i bought it) I thought the same thing... My wife hates it so i don't think i can keep it, I only told her that I was going to pick up some parts for the motorhome :) I was told it would not idle when hot, well after I tightened the distributor down and set the timing, it seams to run 100% ??? (in my driveway anyway) It is the top model with speakers everywhere, power everything... I just wish it was a few years newer with the newer engine. Needs very little to be put back on to the road, new front window, tires, exhaust leak fixed and a major cleaning. Very greasy, i guess that's why no rust :-)

• 2 months later...

Yes, it is nice... As soon as I saw it (actually after i bought it) I thought the same thing... My wife hates it so i don't think i can keep it, I only told her that I was going to pick up some parts for the motorhome :) I was told it would not idle when hot, well after I tightened the distributor down and set the timing, it seams to run 100% ??? (in my driveway anyway) It is the top model with speakers everywhere, power everything... I just wish it was a few years newer with the newer engine. Needs very little to be put back on to the road, new front window, tires, exhaust leak fixed and a major cleaning. Very greasy, i guess that's why no rust :-)

you wouldnt want to sell the transfer case would ya?

you wouldnt want to sell the transfer case would ya?

Sorry, it's a 2wd :-(

• 2 months later...

Been a while just wondering if you ever checked the size on that gas tank. Love to hear measurements. I know a regular pick up tank will fit a T100

so everything must be basically in the right place. Have you pulled it yet or do you have measurements for it. Sure would be nice to have a 24 gallon tank

LS

Sorry, it's a 2wd :-(

• 4 months later...

whats all the fuss? do you really want to have to pay to fill up a 28 gallon tank!?? LOL, kidding everyone- my 21 ft Sunrader has the large tank and it looks quite simple, a very basic sheet metal design.

if it werent for the liability I could produce/copy my existing tank but we live in a litigious society and the first accident where one would leak would be the end of my fabricating career. maybe have a waiver signed when purchasing it?!