Sub woofer

Maineah

I just got a deal on a UV10 Phase Linear 7’ display radio for the MH and of course now I have to have a sub woofer funny how things seem to escalate. So what have you guys done with sub woofers? I pretty good at building boxes so I can make a custom box to fit probably behind the seat? I do not want to blast out windows just a little more bass 8” seems like it should be sufficient but I’m at a loss as far as amp etc. are concerned I was trying to avoid some thing that I need capacitors and welding cables to run. There was a sticker that came with the radio that said “If it’s too loud you’re too old” I think I fit in the latter category.

I am still looking at the optimal cab sub woofer set up. I did connect the "direct 6" outputs to a logitec Z5300 surround sound system in the rear, so I can turn that on while driving since I'm also equipped with a sun force 1000 watt investor. Sounds great. The other input to the Z5300 is the optical output of a 24" flat screen.

For the cab I'm considering the two following solutions:

http://www.amazon.com/BASS600-8-Inch-Low-Profile-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B000OSZA44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290914415&sr=8-1

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Aura-AST-2B-4-Pro-Bass-Shaker/dp/B0002ZPTBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1290914802&sr=8-1

This is needed because I don't always travel with the inverter turned on and the z5300 sub woofer is not available.

Alvin's first potential solution looks like a great solution (powered 8" sub-woofer), especially since it looks like it is heavily discounted!

Here is what I am using in our 85 Sunrader, behind the driver's seat: http://www.boaterswo.../MP63524183.htm . It will not put out as much bass as the powered 8" sub-woofer, but I am very happy with it, since it has good deep lows. It is being driven directly from a 2002 Toyota AM/FM/CD double DIN radio.

post-2114-064142600 1290946451_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys the amplifier issue is really confusing how much is enough? I saw an amp the other day that said it was 3,000 watts so the way I look at it thats 250 amps at 12 volts! Shoot if I turned that thing on my MH would stop! Alvin's url for the speaker showed a 100 watt amp: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-SA100-100W-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B0002KRAP6/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b The output of the UV10 is rated 13 watts X4 so I guess I would have to have a powered sub. The one in the box looked neat but I think I can make a better box with more volume (size).

I found a really inexpensive subwoofer on amazon and hooked it up with a 25-year-old, 18 watt Yamaha amplifier on the back of a single-DIN Pioneer unit my brother-in-law had left over. It is mounted in a plywood panel covering the gap between the Toyota truck cab and the first cabinet in the Sunrader.

The positives -- it was dirt cheap and easy to do and it sounds pretty darn good. And I had an itch to use the old amp because it came out of my first truck, a 1981 SR-5 with a camper shell (that would still be running if not for a 5-ton Ford Utility Truck losing control on CA Hwy 1!)

The negatives -- anything that is the slightest bit loose in the cab area wants to dance and rattle like crazy when I turn up the volume.

The setup isn't anything that's going to glow blue or thump out the windows on Main Street on Saturday night, but it does a nice job with this old man's Prog Rock playlist B). That said, if I had it to do over again I'd go for something like that Boss box... I'm sure the sound would be better, and it is a pretty tidy package.

I would use the sub woofer connection with a powered sub woofer. You may hace a menu that controls the level to the sub.

Yeah this thing has more appendages then an octopus there are 5 low level outputs all controllable in the on screen menus and 11 I/Os all together. I’m pretty will resigned to an amp of some sort so many choices and so little money! I do kinda like the Boss box with the built in amp that's as simple as it gets.

Got the Boss sub woofer today less then $90 delivered from Amazon fairly heavy, looks outstanding nice big heat sink all the way around it, nice set up for wiring and it will fit on the wall behind the seat even with it all the way back. Plenty of controls to tailor the audio I don't think it would fit under the seat even if you took it out first. Full report by the weekend give me some thing to do while I watch it snow!

Thanks very much for that update. I was thinking about the same speaker as well for our yota cab. Question, any chance it can also slide under the seat? or is it too high?

Thanks, Al

Got the Boss sub woofer today less then $90 delivered from Amazon fairly heavy, looks outstanding nice big heat sink all the way around it, nice set up for wiring and it will fit on the wall behind the seat even with it all the way back. Plenty of controls to tailor the audio I don't think it would fit under the seat even if you took it out first. Full report by the weekend give me some thing to do while I watch it snow!

How much room do you have between the seat and the wall, my seat backs up to the couch which is a sorta wall and is upholstered.

The only difference I see between the two is a bit more power there is a slight difference in the way the speaker grill is made but the spec, are the same except a little more power. It's 600 watts rms the one I got is 400 watts rms. There is a pretty good gap behind the seat on mine good deal more so then under the seat and Alvin I don't think it will make it under the seat because of the mechanism for the seat adjustment.

OK the Boss600 powered subwoofer is in! Great improvement, the stock speaker enclosures leave a lot to be desired and I don’t think even if you put $200 speakers in the spaces it would sound much better so the sub is the way to go. For any neat nicks that are interested in the Boss sub the black mirror finish will scratch if you look at it wrong I made the mistake of wiping dust off with a cloth that was not super soft and it left tiny scratches. Be sure you mount it in a position that the adjustment controls are accessible because you are definitely going to want to adjust it. All of the trimmer pots make a huge difference in the sound I guess that is a good thing you can go from no sound to distortion. It’s easy to tweak and you can really tailor the sound I found if you crank the external level control all the way then adjust the input trimmer to the edge of distortion you can then just back off the external adjustment to where you like it. It was a heck of a deal for the money I have heard of some people with amp problems but I would say it probably was of their own making running the gain too high trying to make up for not buying the 2000 watt twin 14” speaker system they really wanted. All and all I’m really pleased with the sound it won’t shake the house but it sure fills in the gaps in the stock systems.