Sunrader Kohler to Onan switch

I have given up on the old and original Kohler 2.5 generator in my Sunrader. I can't keep it running smoothly, it cuts off after about 20 minutes, its louder than an any generator I have heard and much too loud to run in a campground. I bought a used Onan Microlite 2.8 and now I have to figure out how to resize the generator compartment. Has anyone done this conversion?

Seamus McShank

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

McSHANK,

I have sucesfully installed the Onan 2.8 Microlite on to the Kohler compartment on my 319RB Warrior. Will upload the finished pics when I can. Basically I have to cut the inner divider and use the Onan's brakets to bold the unit on. The compartment is big enough for the Onan. You will have to re-route the fuel line and big DC cable for the starter but that's not too hard.

Nam

Nam,

I also resized the compartment to fit the Onan 2.8. I had to cut away some of the floor and fabricate a larger enclosure lined with sheet metal. A welder moved one of the support brackets over about 6" so the exhaust had clearance. It drops in from the top, under the couch, but runs quietly and powers the rooftop ac while we're moving down the road in 100+ temperatures. Leaving for vacation tomorrow, heading through the California desert (ac on) to Morro Bay and Paso Robles wine country. The Onan is so much quieter than the 25 year old Kohler, which I gave away to another Toyhome owner.

Seamus McShank

• 11 years later...
On 9/13/2011 at 4:14 PM, McShank said:

Nam,

I also resized the compartment to fit the Onan 2.8. I had to cut away some of the floor and fabricate a larger enclosure lined with sheet metal. A welder moved one of the support brackets over about 6" so the exhaust had clearance. It drops in from the top, under the couch, but runs quietly and powers the rooftop ac while we're moving down the road in 100+ temperatures. Leaving for vacation tomorrow, heading through the California desert (ac on) to Morro Bay and Paso Robles wine country. The Onan is so much quieter than the 25 year old Kohler, which I gave away to another Toyhome owner.

Seamus McShank

Hey do you have pictures by chance? I’m doing the same thing now and some insight would be super helpful!

This thread is 12 years old. I don’t believe this member is still active.