Rear window on 92 Dolphin

Dolphina

I'm new here but am learning so much from all of you. I recently purchased a '92 Dolphin that has a plexiglas rear escape hatch/window. It is leaking and I'm not sure where its getting in. Also, I'm wondering if that is what is supposed to be in there or if a previous owner replaced the glass with plexi. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greetings Dolphina,

I believe the rear window is the same as my Seabreeze. It makes sense that it would be plastic for safety reasons,e.g. being rear-ended would eject the unlucky person using the restroom at the wrong moment etc. I have been jostled around a few times using the restroom in transit. Usually I slam into the closet door mirror. Hasn't broke yet.

As for the leak, I would bet its the window seal. Remove screws on the inside frame and gently pry out window frame from the outside. Remove all the old butyl tape from frame and around window opening. Install new butyl tape around perimeter of frame. Carefully install window, centering it on opening. Reinstall interior ring w/screws. Done deal, As an added precaution I run a bead of non silicone caulking around exterior frame, When you buy the butyl tape at an RV supply house. they should hook you up with the proper caulking. I found out the hard way, that siliconized caulking is a no no on RV exteriors. It does not work well,is super hard to remove, and makes your RV look like oooo when it starts collecting dirt and dust like a magnet.

Happy trails,

seabreezer

My rear window has 3 panes. the center opens and is plexi as well. seabreezer is right,the opening one being plexi makes sense. NEver thought.I just resealed my windows with butyl tape but the PO put caulk or something on the interior of glass where it touches metal. Anyone take window apart and rebed the glass to the frame? I'm slowly replacing the shrunken exterior gasket on the windows as well. I Hope replacing gasket as well rebedding keeps water out! GD