Bad fuel mileage on a '76 Toyota Chinook

Shelley

I have a 1976 Toyota chinook 20R engine, and would like to know how big the gas tank is.

The people I bought it from disconnected the fuel gage when the put in the new fuel pump and filter that's now located under the hood.

So I've been trying to gage how many miles / kms I can go on 1 tank of gas ...

Being 34 years old, no manual came with it so if you have any info on how many mpg it should get that would be great.

Currently it looks like I'm getting 12 mpg, does this sound right?

Thanks

Hello,

12mpg sounds a bit low. Check your air filter, if it is dirty it can reduce your mpg by 20% or more.

Regarding your gas tank, it might not be the original. I thought my 1990 Odyssey had a 17 gallon

gas tank, but it turned out to be a 15 gallon, I know this because I ran out of gas one day and

after putting one gallon in it and driving a mile to a gas station, I could only get 14.5 gallons

of gas in it.

Dennis...

From what I've read, the 20R owners usually claim closer to 20mpg (with a 4 speed, anyway). but it'll come down to how heavy your right foot is, too. If you're trying to cruise at 70-75 mph, it'll hurt your pocketbook!

I'm not sure about your '76, but later 'homes are quoted as having 17.2 Gallon tanks. Running out after only 15.5 Gallons is used brings to mind a possibility:

1/ Someone replaced the in-tank fuel pump and in the process the fuel pickup was raised and therefore sucks air sooner. Other than the annoyance of having to refuel more often, better higher than lower so that you're not sucking all the 'Cr@p' off the bottom of the tank.

I just looked on the web site of a large gas tank manufacturer, and the don't list one as far back as '76.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/apps/ecat/mainfile.php?vehicle_id=1277085&model=PICKUP&year=1976&make=TOYOTA&splash=false&action=search_by_vehicle&module=product_catalog

They do have a listing ('TO8D', 17.0 Gallon) for the '90.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/apps/ecat/mainfile.php?vehicle_id=1277827&model=PICKUP&year=1990&make=TOYOTA&splash=false&action=search_by_vehicle&module=product_catalog

Spectra Premium tanks show up on EBay and many other suppliers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-90-TOYOTA-PICKUP-Fuel-Tank-SPECTRA-PREMIUM-TO8D-/190424596838

AFAIK, there's no difference between tanks for a 4 and 6 cylinder application. Tanks for a carbed and fuel injected application would be different.

• 2 months later...

I'm still a greenhorn here... but my 89 Odyssey gets around 10mpg, but my wife calls me "chief leadfoot" for a good reason. We spend most of our driving hours out here in the west on 80-mph freeways (Utah is 80 now on I-15)... I really do try to keep it around 65 to 70. That could be my problem. I'm on a quest though to raise my mpg's.... it's the challenge... do or die.

So far I have tried the following:

New Iridium spark plugs (6). No noticeable effect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CJ048W/ref=oss_product

New K&N lifetime air filter. No noticeable effect (my original air filter was super dirty too).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BR3BYY/ref=oss_product

Finally, I read over at the yotatech.com that somebody increased their fuel mileage by drilling holes in the bottom of the air filter intake. I've done that... and haven't been out on the road to test it yet.

My next attempts to get better gas mileage (in order) will include:

1) Tune up.

2) Bigger exhaust pipes and a good look at the catalytic converter to see how plugged up it may be (visible only when the tail pipe gets dropped off).

3) Bigger exhaust heads on the engine.

4) Get the timing checked.

5) Put on a brown's gas generator (my Dad is really fond of these... I'm skeptical).

6) Have my wife drive all of the freeway miles. :)

If anyone can think of something else (?) I'm open for suggestions. Sheesh, with an 89 V6 motor that only has 56K miles on it, I think I should be able to do better than 10... even if I do want to go 70.

#6 will have the greatest effect. #5 might show some gains, but ONLY because your wallet will be that much lighter!

I'd have to agree with that.

One more el-cheapo thing I can try is to beef up the spark plug wires.

One thing I noticed is that my unit "rough idles" and you can feel the vehicle twisting a bit... almost as though it's missing a spark at idle speeds. The plugs all looked clean when I replaced them. So I think that a professional tuneup is in order. I'm an electrical engineer (solid state electronics, etc.) and much less of a mechanical guy... unless I'm up against a wall, so I suppose I'll just take it in and have it tuned up.

If that doesn't work then I suppose I'm demoted to passenger.