Charging light and "Engine Fuse"

phins

I have an issue with my 86 Dolphin where the charging light comes on. This also blows a fuse labeled "Engine" on the floor board fuse box. This results in no charging at the engine battery (Voltage is 12.4 instead of 14.1). I thought that the alternator was bad, but I replaced it and the engine battery and I am having the same problems.

Replacing the fuse solves all of the problems, but it burns out again 5 or 10 minutes down the road. I am assuming there is some sort of short and I have pretty well ripped apart the dash to no avail (ie no obvious wires burned or shorting). Does anyone have a wiring diagram that indicates what is on the "Engine" fuse (middle bottom of the cab fuse board)?

When the fuse goes I loose power to the gas and temp gauges and the blinkers (the actual blinking mechanism, not the lights) and the ability to turn on overdrive.

Currently stuck in South Dakota until I figure this out. It is really hot here, please help.

Alternator, light reminder relay, check engine system, combination meter(gas gauge etc.)power window relay, pps computer, neutral start switch, ETC computer (trans), O/D light and backup light switch.

Alternator, light reminder relay, check engine system, combination meter(gas gauge etc.)power window relay, pps computer, neutral start switch, ETC computer (trans), O/D light and backup light switch.

Backup light switch wire (I think) goes to the back of the camper, paralleling the exhaust pipe. This came loose and melted to the exhaust pipe. Perfect ground. Thanks so much, I found the problem and we are in Minneapolis (our goal). Electrical problems are terrible thanks for the help, seems like the engineers could have split these systems to a couple of fuses, when the fuse blows the alternator no longer charges the battery and the EFI etc runs off the battery, you only get about a half hour before the battery dies. I guess I can put the dash back together now. Thanks again.

• 11 years later...