Looking to buy a Toyota Dolphin

Hi,

Just joined and am interested in buying a toyota motorhome. Our son works for toyota in Jackson, TN and we own a

Corolla. We currently own a '97 Southwind Storm, 34ft and love the space but hate to drive it. Very large and gets very poor gas mileage. We bought it thinking family would travel more with us and came to the conclusion we need something more economical for just the two of us. I would love any comments anyone may have on what we should look for in buying one. We travel frequently to PA to Penn State football games from the Midwest and want something serviceable. My husband is not very mechanical but have good mechanics in the family. Any help appreciated!!

Thanks and have a great day!

Ummab

Welcome to the forum Ummab,

It might be a trick finding a "specific" model of Toyota MH in your area for sale. As you're looking, ask yourself, "How much space can I live without? Do I want an automatic or manual transmission? Do I want a sink in the bathroom? Will I mind driving 55mph (average) to 65mph (downhill with the wind)?"

I'm partial to my 1981 18ft Sunrader. The gas mileage is good at approximately 18.5mpg highway, but it's incredibly small and slow compared to a big engined Class A and C's. I also liked the Sunrader, 2 piece fiberglass construction. Continue your research, read the past posts on this forum, and maybe ask for a tour the next time you're parked near one at Wally World. Each model has its pros and cons. No matter what you find for sale, it's gonna be "used" so there will probably be maintenance and repair projects to "embrace", aka fixing leaky windows, leaky seams, fridge not cooling, hot-water heater not heating, etc. Some toy owners go as far as ripping up carpet, pulling out couches, rebuilding countertops, recovering cushions or total remodels. I know there are some well cared for toys for sale too, so it's possible you'll run across a gem.

Whether you decide to spend the extra money for a well maintained, clean toy or invest with a fixer-upper, you're sure to fall in love with it.

Wishing you the best,

Shanda

ummab, I looked around a lot, Craigs list "Toyota" in recreation section, found a pretty good site, " jaXed.com site mash : toyota : combined classified and auction listings" or something like that, these sites can give you a good idea of whats out there and the much varied price range. Of course the wisdom of this web site gives you much to mull over and wonder. I bought my first RV, a 94 Dolphin a year and a half ago. It's been wonderful. Just my woman and our cairin pooch. It is probably quite small to those experienced in larger RVs but just right for the three of us. On our last trip 3000+ miles it averaged 14.5 mpg, mostly going up and down winding north western mountain roads, usually 55 mph max. It would easily go faster but 55 is where I felt most comfortable. My rig is a 6 cyl , auto. If you are really leaning toward a Toyota, read what you can here. They do require some maintenance and tinkering. Some of it is quite enjoyable and it's all a good learning experience. Remember to read over the sections on this site as to what to look for in your search, there's so much to be learned here. I am sure happy with our Dolphin. If I can help answer any questions, just ask.

Good camping, Chief

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I saw that you were looking for a Toyota. I am hosting the only Midwest Toyota RV

rally in Galesburg, IL from Oct 1st-4th and we will probably end up with 15

Toyotas attending. The campground has two cabin/apartments they rent. Everyone

enjoys openning up their Toyota for show and tell. This might be a great way for

you to see a large mix of Toyota models in a single day. I think the cabin/apartment cost is $50. If you decide to come, be sure to state you are

attending the Toyota Rally, you should get a 10% discount. For reservations call

309-289-2267 If you have any problems, ask for Judy.

Saturday is the main day to attend if you can only attend one day.

Looking over the Rally information, you should be able to see at least the following: 1991 Itasca, 1992 Dolphin, 1990 Odyssey, 1994 Warrior, 1991 Dolphin,

1992 Horizon, 1993 SeeBreeze and at least a few other models (probably a 1988

Shasta, a 1988 Dolphin, and a few Sunraders).

Information on this year’s rally is located at:

www.toyotamotorhomes.com/mid-west_toy.htm

Details are at: www.tipton-in.com/mwtoyin2010/Toyota-Rally-Events-2010.doc

Maps are at: www.tipton-in.com/mwtoyin2010/Knoxville-Toy-In-Maps.doc

Dennis Booth...

bufbooth at yahoo dot com

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I saw that you were looking for a Toyota. I am hosting the only Midwest Toyota RV

rally in Galesburg, IL from Oct 1st-4th and we will probably end up with 15

Toyotas attending. The campground has two cabin/apartments they rent. Everyone

enjoys openning up their Toyota for show and tell. This might be a great way for

you to see a large mix of Toyota models in a single day. I think the cabin/apartment cost is $50. If you decide to come, be sure to state you are

attending the Toyota Rally, you should get a 10% discount. For reservations call

309-289-2267 If you have any problems, ask for Judy.

Saturday is the main day to attend if you can only attend one day.

Looking over the Rally information, you should be able to see at least the following: 1991 Itasca, 1992 Dolphin, 1990 Odyssey, 1994 Warrior, 1991 Dolphin,

1992 Horizon, 1993 SeeBreeze and at least a few other models (probably a 1988

Shasta, a 1988 Dolphin, and a few Sunraders).

Information on this year’s rally is located at:

www.toyotamotorhomes.com/mid-west_toy.htm

Details are at: www.tipton-in.com/mwtoyin2010/Toyota-Rally-Events-2010.doc

Maps are at: www.tipton-in.com/mwtoyin2010/Knoxville-Toy-In-Maps.doc

Dennis Booth...

bufbooth at yahoo dot com

Hey Dennis, another newbie here, bout a 86 dolphin last fall believe it or not I live in Quincy Il. and own businesses in Quincy and abandon I'm in galesberg quite often working. I am interested in the rally, could you send me the info. Thanx Trent, Meagan, Chloe,and Isaiah (TMCI). Bartzfamily2006@hotmail.com