Ok, I finally bit the bullet, an acquired a '78 chinook newport last night, so I now have a toyhome. :) I have the original factory rims, but am not sure what I should run for tires (I really need to replace them all to feel safe).

I THINK this is the correct sizes from the doorpost:

Front D70X14 Rims 14X5.5

Rear L60X14 Rims 14X8

I had no idea that the Newport used different sized tires and rims front and rear. I'd consider that a major inconvenience when it comes to carrying spare tires!

What size tires are fitted at the moment? You are NOT going to find tires with the 'D' and 'L' designations. That system went out of use decades ago. I'll suggest that for the front, you could/should use the near universal 185R14, load rang D. But if your Newport does indeed have 8" wide rims fitted to the rear, I'm not sure what to suggest.

BTW, those L60x14 tires seem to be roughly equivalent to a 265/60R14 or 275/60R14, sizes that certainly aren't available in load range C or D. I'm not sure how much the rear of a Newport weighs. Anyone?

I seem to remember that rims rfrom a full size Dodge van will fit on 5 hole Toyotas, so you could consider changing rims and then running 235/75R15LT tires all around.

I think I found a solution, even with the factory rims.

Uniroyal 235/60/R14. They will fit on the rear 8" rims. The only problem is they are not "load rated"- at least with range C or D.. According to the tire guy, they are rated to hold 1,565 pounds each at 35psi, and I can't imagine a loaded newport has more than 3000# on the rear axle fully loaded. Any input there?

I think I found a solution, even with the factory rims.

Uniroyal 235/60/R14. They will fit on the rear 8" rims. The only problem is they are not "load rated"- at least with range C or D.. According to the tire guy, they are rated to hold 1,565 pounds each at 35psi, and I can't imagine a loaded newport has more than 3000# on the rear axle fully loaded. Any input there?

BF Goodrich also offers a 245/60R14. Rated for 1675lbs. Would look pretty good matched up with 205/70R14 up front.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%2FA&sidewall=Raised%20White%20Letters&partnum=46SR4RADTARWL2&tab=Sizes

As for the weight, you're probably the best one to answer that question. Got any public scales nearby?

Ended up going a different (more expensive.. ouch) route. Just got new white spoke steel rims to fit the tires on all 4 corners, so everything matches all around. The new tires are the 185R14's, load range D. This does make the rears narrower than the stockers were, but the stiff sidewalls of the new tires should help make up for the narrowness. Should be good for a few years now.