Dog is my Co-pilot

Rader85

post-3796-12788163903081_thumb.jpg Hey there,

I previously posted a question as to whether or not we would bring our two Wiemaraners with us on our cross-country mission. Our "pups" are three years old, wound tight, and have a combined weight of about 180 pounds. We just weren't sure how a 4 week trip to the Pacific Northwest would be with them onboard. Would we pull our hair out midway through??

On the contrary, it was an absolute joy traveling with them and I kick myself for even considering kenneling them. Roxie and Bodhi would curl up together under the dinette table and be totally out of the way while driving. Occasionally, we would leave them in the rig while we picked up a bite to eat (cool temperatures, of course), and return to find someone walking past the rig, laughing out loud at the sight of one dog at the wheel and one in shotgun.

Thanks go out to those of you who had made suggestions to us about how to simplify the process, and what to be ready for while on the road with dogs in tow. We owe many good memories to those two, crazy houndsJ

Cheers,

Aaron

Edited by Rader85

I'm glad you all had fun it's great when you get to take your friends along. Our "puppy" usually gets to go with us only problem he takes up a lot of space!

post-669-12788478701657_thumb.jpg

Aaron,

That's wonderful! I have family near enough homebase to take care of Gizzy and Rox (our cat and her 80lb Lab Basenji mix)when we travel, but you've inspired me. The furry kids will join us next road trip. Awesome!

shanda

• 6 months later...

post-3796-12788163903081_thumb.jpg Hey there,

I previously posted a question as to whether or not we would bring our two Wiemaraners with us on our cross-country mission. Our "pups" are three years old, wound tight, and have a combined weight of about 180 pounds. We just weren't sure how a 4 week trip to the Pacific Northwest would be with them onboard. Would we pull our hair out midway through??

On the contrary, it was an absolute joy traveling with them and I kick myself for even considering kenneling them. Roxie and Bodhi would curl up together under the dinette table and be totally out of the way while driving. Occasionally, we would leave them in the rig while we picked up a bite to eat (cool temperatures, of course), and return to find someone walking past the rig, laughing out loud at the sight of one dog at the wheel and one in shotgun.

Thanks go out to those of you who had made suggestions to us about how to simplify the process, and what to be ready for while on the road with dogs in tow. We owe many good memories to those two, crazy houndsJ

Cheers,

Aaron

What a great story. I want pics of the two dogs up front! I bet that was funny.

Thanks for posting!

I thought bringing our dog along would be a chore, but I'd have to agree it is a pleasure. Indy likes to ride shotgun and falls asleep on my shoulder. Chocolate lab with a slight snoring problem.post-3411-0-01064100-1296617525_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our dogs are why we got our Sunrader, so we would not have to kennel them. We had three Jack Russell terrors. We simply stacked their crates in the shower with some foam and towels and one would be up with us. It is interesting but a lot of fun and we can not imagine going anywhere with out them.