Camping Fees

How do you folks feel about the wide ranging costs of camping?

As an example I cite the way-off-the major road state park in a California State Park that we stayed in one night early this spring. Two campers in 85 sites, uust the camp host and us.

$30+ for one night, no hookups, and they charged us $1.75 for the shower, too.

Doesn't the state of California realize that most people don't have the money that we used to have? I asked the campsite host about that and he just shrugged his shoulders. In further discussion he suggested that I head up the road to an Army Corp of Engineers campground where the fire wood was free and the overnight charge was $10 (no hookups, but free showers).

When is common sense come back into practice?

AVOID CALIFORNIA STATE PARKS.

Cast your vote by avoiding California State Parks.

Dave

WA State

As an example I cite the way-off-the major road state park in a California State Park that we stayed in one night early this spring. Two campers in 85 sites, uust the camp host and us.

Doesn't the state of California realize that most people don't have the money that we used to have? I asked the campsite host about that and he just shrugged his shoulders. In further discussion he suggested that I head up the road to an Army Corp of Engineers campground where the fire wood was free and the overnight charge was $10 (no hookups, but free showers).

Dave

WA State

Hi Dave - We have been boycotting Cal. State parks for the last year because we can no longer afford to stay in them. Now I hear the state is talking about closing a bunch of them because the usage has dropped dramatically. Duh!. Did you also know that the USFS was going to reduce the Golden Age passport discount from 50 percent to 10 percent? There was such an uproar that the canceled that plan.

Cheers!

Bill (N. California)

Bill.

I was just back in the midwest and while flying on an Alaska Airlines flight to Chicago I saw an ad in the inflight magazine for Ohio State Parks where they are offering a 'frequent camper' rewards system. Geez. Somebody had an idea of how to be positive. California needs to take a lesson from Ohio, but then California is so passe' that it doesn't matter anymore.

Dave

Bill.

I was just back in the midwest and while flying on an Alaska Airlines flight to Chicago I saw an ad in the inflight magazine for Ohio State Parks where they are offering a 'frequent camper' rewards system. Geez. Somebody had an idea of how to be positive. California needs to take a lesson from Ohio, but then California is so passe' that it doesn't matter anymore.

Dave

Hi Dave - We will be going on a trip to camp in Oregon next week at Loeb State Park. We stayed there last year and found Oregon really promoting their state parks. During the week if you stay 3 nights the fourth night is free. And the parks are heavily used as a result. California really has no clue. Last year a bill got to the governators desk that would have tacked a $15 fee on all vehicle registrations, to go strictly to the maintenence of the state parks, but he vetoed it.

Cheers,

Bill

I noticed the last few years the camping fees have been going up, and it seems

like the campsites are more ran down and a bit crowded.

On my Yellowstone trip two years ago I decided to Walmart it every other day,

and I have to admit that a few of the Walmarts were better than the average

campsite that we experienced on the trip.

The biggest campsite rip off that I experienced on the trip was from a Yellowstone

RV park at Fishing Bridge. The cost of the site was $35 a day and that did not

include showers (they were $4 each). The sites were all ashapht (like a parking lot),

and they packed you about 8 feet away from the next RV. The owners of the RV next

to me decided to leave their dog in the RV while they did an overnight somewhere else,

the dog barked all night (I swear non-stop), and the RV park rangers leave for the

night. I will never camp inside of Yellowstone again, I will hit a private campground

instead.

I did find on the way home that a lot of little towns have RV sites in their city parks,

but they really to not advertise it well, you need to really search the town's website.

In De Smet, SD I found 3 or 4 campsites on the edge of their city park, it was $9 a

night and it included water, electric, and hot showers/washroom. It was a honor system,

put money in a drop box.

http://desmet.govoffice2.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={CA1F29C5-CC08-44A1-BA27-2D4E923B6299}

Another travel tip is to seek out city swimming pools, the cost is usually $1 to $2. A nice

way to cool down after a long day of driving.

Dennis...

Dave

WA State

Guess you have not been reading the news about California's dire financial situation lately. Many State parks have been closed or have limited use. We stopped at one state park and Law Enforcement was doing retail sales. I have to agree though, some of the fee's are really high. Here is a link to CA's state park fee's. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=737 Not all parks are the same rates. Seacliff State Beach right here near where I work is $55 for no hookups and $65 for full hookups all year long. Sites are right on the beach but spaced side by side. If you want a full hookup spot in the summer or most weekends make your reservation at least 1 to 2 years in advance. I have only seen a hand full of toyotas there, and never in the full hookup spots. I can suggest two other parks worth going to. Big Basin Redwoods, locally here in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Calaveras Big Trees in Arnold CA. Some of the biggest redwoods in the world are there. Both are $35 a night with no hookups. Someone has to fork out some cash to keep these places open and CA has no money. Use them or loose them.

• 3 weeks later...

the thing that irks me is there are very few primitive campgrounds where we the users can police ourselves. I don't need showers, trash service, running water etc. I just want a place to park my camper! This pisses me off the most about "campgrounds". The national forest is great, but you're a bit limited. We need more primitive parks like there were 30-40 years ago. Anywhoo.. sounds as tho we're screwed. The population of California is supposed to double within the next years. And to think the whole frickin state was a campground 150 years ago. :) This forum is titled "vent" ... so sorry for all the steam

Ya! I want a place to pull off highway 1 that has a nice view of the ocean, some hiking trails, and possibly a store/market within a few miles. I don't mind sharing the place with other respectful low key outdoor/camping enthusiasts. I don't want any rangers or assigned parking stalls nor have to make some reservation 6 months in advance. I just want to pull over camp and then leave the place the way I found it. Nothing fancy, just there.

It just seems it's getting harder and harder to get away from ppl especially on the coast. I posted a picture of the world at night somewhere else on this forum and well it's pretty sad and all too real as to why things are the way they are. That's what is so amazing about baja. Even tho it's nothing like it was, it's still suspended in time and one can camp in solitude or with other nomads almost anywhere on the coast.

night.jpg

So yeah, you can see there is little place for "primitive" beach camping on U.S. soil outside of Alaska.

Looks like the Canadians turn the lights off when they leave work. Can you imagine how much oil we could save if WalMart turned off the parking lot lights at night. Full hookups on the beach in Maine $40 a night just don't come in mid summer you'll never get a spot.

• 5 months later...

Louisiana State Parks are utterly fantastic, large sites, very up to date, water park for the kiddies, tiled bath houses, even free WiFi at most. Fees range from$16-$20 per night depending on the season. BUT there is a $6 one time fee for reservations or at the gate, so plan on staying more than one night. Really great value!

Hey! Come up to B.C. (British Columbia). The prov. gov't here charges between $16./night up to $30. for no services, extra for reservations. Guess the agreement between our "premier" and the governator included the public parks. Grounds are really nice and pretty private though and you know beforehand what you're getting, so I guess we shouldn't complain too much.

• 8 months later...

I live in Illinois. We have some very nice parks. Some of them fill up on weekends. The usual rate is about $20. for electric, a bit less through the week. But the officials raised the holiday rate to 3 day minimum and its about $30. a day so many(not all) of the Il. state parks are empty on holidays. Bad management in the higher-ups. Illinois does not charge entry fees or at least not in any state park in Illinois that I have been to. If the lesser used parks did not have to charge the higher rates for holiday weekends it would be better for the campers and better for the residents of this state. The parks I mainly use in Illinois shut down the shower houses around November. And the water spigots are shut off. They may still have one spot to get water at the maintenance area. I make one of them (Wayne Fitzgerral at Rend Lake on I-57) an overnight stop on the way south in late December. Very quiet plus lots of wildlife and it has a restaurant and convention center in the park). Check out our state parks if you are passing through.

Wisconsin State Parks are $12 to $15 with $5 for electricity. Unfortunately, they are always full n the weekends. we still have some state forests that have nice camping but they fill up fast also.

• 1 month later...

WOW!! You guys are getting great deals. Michigan state forest campsites with vault toilets and one or two water wells for the whole campground are 16 dollars. The Michigan state parks vary by location, season and level of services can be anywhere from 18 to 45 dollars plus vehicle permit which is for Michigan residents 10 dollars a year. For a site with water, 30 amp electric and use of a bathhouse with hot water, toilets, and showers I have yet to pay under 30 dollars a night.

Yikes!!!...Don't get me started on Michigan state campgrounds...I love Michigan but hate their State

owned campgrounds, mainly due to the attitude of their Park Rangers. I am a pretty mild mannerred guy,

but a Michigan park ranger got my blood boiling about five years ago. I ended up packing up the campsite

and scraped off the Michigan park sticker on my window and vowed to never again set foot in a Michigan

State campground again.

Too late,I am started....

It was at one of the Sand Dunes parks and the issue was over my dog. The family and I decided to walk

to the beach on Lake Michigan by going over the Dunes. Dogs were allowed but after walking for 20 minutes

across the Dunes there was a sign on the edge of the beach that stated no dogs on beach. I was a bit

pissed off since the sign could of been posted 20 minutes earlier. I told the family to hit the beach

and I would pick them up in two hours in the camper. As I was driving into the beach parking lot I

passed a park ranger and he saw the dog in the back and after I parked in the beach parking lot and

was getting out the ranger skidded up next to me by locking up his brakes and started yelling if I was

blind. I asked him what he was talking about and he stated the sign that I passed that stated No Dogs

on the Beach. I stated I saw the sign but I am hear to just pick my family up and the dog is staying

in the camper and it will just take me 5 minutes to tell my family I am here. The ranger again starting

yelling that the parking lot is the beach (news to me!) and he was going to ticket me and kick me out

of the park. At that point I asked who the head ranger was at the park and it turned out to be him.

I was starting to see red at this point, and told him he had two choices, let me get my family, or

ticket/kick me out and he could go get my family. He told me I had 5 minutes to get my family

before he was going to write me a ticket. I reported this to the State of Michigan the next day

and never got a reply back on what the problem was, and have never stayed in a Michigan State

Park since.

Dennis B.

WOW!! You guys are getting great deals. Michigan state forest campsites with vault toilets and one or two water wells for the whole campground are 16 dollars. The Michigan state parks vary by location, season and level of services can be anywhere from 18 to 45 dollars plus vehicle permit which is for Michigan residents 10 dollars a year. For a site with water, 30 amp electric and use of a bathhouse with hot water, toilets, and showers I have yet to pay under 30 dollars a night.

I would have to agree with you, We camped Michigan in 2010 and did not get any "warm fussies from the rangers" and had camp sites the size of parking stall with everyone cutting threw our site, to the point that we couldn't leave our chairs out. (not the vacation I wanted)

Yikes!!!...Don't get me started on Michigan state campgrounds...I love Michigan but hate their State

owned campgrounds, mainly due to the attitude of their Park Rangers. I am a pretty mild mannerred guy,

but a Michigan park ranger got my blood boiling about five years ago. I ended up packing up the campsite

and scraped off the Michigan park sticker on my window and vowed to never again set foot in a Michigan

State campground again.

Too late,I am started....

It was at one of the Sand Dunes parks and the issue was over my dog. The family and I decided to walk

to the beach on Lake Michigan by going over the Dunes. Dogs were allowed but after walking for 20 minutes

across the Dunes there was a sign on the edge of the beach that stated no dogs on beach. I was a bit

pissed off since the sign could of been posted 20 minutes earlier. I told the family to hit the beach

and I would pick them up in two hours in the camper. As I was driving into the beach parking lot I

passed a park ranger and he saw the dog in the back and after I parked in the beach parking lot and

was getting out the ranger skidded up next to me by locking up his brakes and started yelling if I was

blind. I asked him what he was talking about and he stated the sign that I passed that stated No Dogs

on the Beach. I stated I saw the sign but I am hear to just pick my family up and the dog is staying

in the camper and it will just take me 5 minutes to tell my family I am here. The ranger again starting

yelling that the parking lot is the beach (news to me!) and he was going to ticket me and kick me out

of the park. At that point I asked who the head ranger was at the park and it turned out to be him.

I was starting to see red at this point, and told him he had two choices, let me get my family, or

ticket/kick me out and he could go get my family. He told me I had 5 minutes to get my family

before he was going to write me a ticket. I reported this to the State of Michigan the next day

and never got a reply back on what the problem was, and have never stayed in a Michigan State

Park since.

Dennis B.

state parks in CA are pricey, but i've always had great experiences with the rangers. they all have been friendly and helpful. when reminded that i was doing something that was wrong they always have been pleasant and realistic. along the ocean is the priciest and during the good seasons you need reservations way out in front, one area in Santa Cruz area a year ahead of time is common.

• 5 months later...

We stayed at gulf shores national park on Santa Rosa Island in Pensacola, FL a couple of years ago and it was only $20.00/ night with water and electric and showers, in May... It was fantastic!!

WASHINGTON STATE HAS JUST COME UP WITH A 30 DOLLOR A YEAR PASS FOR ANY AND ALL STATE MANEGED LAND AND ON TOP OF STATE PARK FEES EVEN DRIVING OR PARKING ON IT . I WILL STAY ON FEDERAL OR PRIVET LAND ONLY

Here in Wisconsin we have had to have a state park sticker for as long as I can remember. It is currently $25 for the first sticker and $12.50 for extras. That does not include the cost of camping. I have no problem paying for the stickers. My family and I use the state parks at least twice a week all year long. I go kayaking, hiking, skiing, swimming, camping, and just hanging out.

Here in south central Wisconsin, there is not any federal land, most of the property is privately owned and it is illegal to enter it without permission. So, I use the state land a lot.

i dont know that side of the country at all thanks for the info i hope your moterhome plates fees are lower there i dont live in a smog test zone in easteren wash state but for a 1987 dolphion they charge 112 dollors a year lincence tabs they say there heavy stick 75 dollor wt penelty fee on you they even have plates you have to put on a slidein truck camper in addition to a truck lincence

We will have to compare sites! (Wausau) - lots of great county parks also - very reasonable, and many private campgroulds also, I have found the private range from $14 to $29 north of hwy 10, and south ranging upto $40. And quite a few national campgrounds, price based on location and offerings.

Our favorite are being Thomahawk area, withing 45min of home.

Dale

Here in Wisconsin we have had to have a state park sticker for as long as I can remember. It is currently $25 for the first sticker and $12.50 for extras. That does not include the cost of camping. I have no problem paying for the stickers. My family and I use the state parks at least twice a week all year long. I go kayaking, hiking, skiing, swimming, camping, and just hanging out.

Here in south central Wisconsin, there is not any federal land, most of the property is privately owned and it is illegal to enter it without permission. So, I use the state land a lot.

For those of you out West.

Just returned from a three week jaunt in Southern Utah. Canyonlands National Park, Capitol Reef National Park, Monti La Sal National Forest, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and Dixie National Forest.

All free. Either BLM or NFS lands.

Then on the way home, Kaibab National Forest and Coconino National Forests in Arizona, where we live.

Of course you have to know how to dig a cat hole, there are no hook ups. But the views out our dinner table window sometimes overlooked a million acres of red rock or forest. The drawbacks, water is a precious commodity in the southern Utah. Finding even enough to top off a little 18 gallon tank is a challenge.

Camping fees? I try to avoid them.

post-4694-0-15611300-1337043764_thumb.jp

reading an older post in this thread, I may disagree with Mr. Booth on Michigan State campgrounds... but only in the U.P. which is basically almost like a different state when it comes to state parks; very very friendly rangers... but that's probably because they are so lonely ...LOL

the main State parks are exactly as Dennis described and I had almost identical experience at a State park on the dunes off of the same lake except we were threatened with a ticket while IN the lake on our boat...Had our trusty German Shepherd Maya and were beached on sand with a bayliner throwing a stick off of the back of the boat into the water when mr. ranger comes along and tries to write us a ticket. Unfortunately for him I live on a lake and am educated enough to know that Riparian law ends at the water... as long as the dog did not touch dry land he couldnt write the ticket. He claimed otherwise but I challenged him to prove the dog had left the water which it did NOT she was swimming. he then sluffed off to the beach and began CALLING the dog over...

Too bad for him, Maya will NEVER leave my side unless I tell her its ok and she obeyed the right master...

I pushed the boat out turned it around and rooster tailed at him as I took off a nice 30 foot plume ... butwiggle[1].gif Never heard another word out of the incident and he never wrote a ticket but really? we were in the middle of NOWHERE there were no people. Such as it is there I guess. gave us a great reason to advance 10 miles more where the beaches were ranger free.

we just got back from a trip down hwy 1 from north of monterey to disneyland. stayed in moro bay at the state park, nice park, no hook ups, $35. second night stayed at leo corrillo state beach park, no hook ups, liked it a little better, more bushes, felt more private $45. calif is not cheap. rig did good, took hwy 5 home, kept it under 60 most of the time, followed the trucks :o). ran into one toy motor home at each park, told then about the group, one was interested, the other not. one istica, one dolphin. passed on other one on hwy one going the opposite way, waved but they didn't wave back, so it wasn't anyone here i'm sure :o).

Saw a dolphin at Nere Beach Campround in Maine last year; they waved back when we were leaving they were arriving.. great campground that recycled old washing machine baskets into fire pits and walk from the boardwalk...

did New Orleans KOA also last year; recently revamped was nice,

both were like 45 full hookup;

state campground at Cathedral Caverns kentucky was $10 rustic ; let you just drive out and go wherevs your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are 62+ here is a great $10 deal: http://store.usgs.gov/pass/general.html I work part time in the summer for a local camp ground and understand just how expensive it is to run one, the maintenance costs and insurance are phenomenal. They also have to put up with some not so nice people granted most of the campers are really nice but it only takes one. I understand the fees a lot better after working there. My wife and I go to an ocean front camp ground here in Maine and camp pretty much on the beach it's not cheap but when you factor in how much it has cost them over the years to repair storm damage it's a bargain.

those looking for wilderness at no cost, just south of yosemite, 10 miles off the road, little rough getting there, need pretty good clearance, there are several places beyond big sandy camp grounds. i posted earlier we stayed at big sandy, we ended up going beyond and stayed where there was nothing but camper made fire ring and 1 broken table. was great. takes about an hour to drive back in so round trip to the nearest store is about 2.5 hours.

Here is a list of the California State Parks fees by park and geographical location and for developed and primative campsites. Some are very pricey, and others seem in-line with other RV Parks. If we all write to the legeslature, and get with organizations that support the RV travler, it might prove prudent. Here's the lists:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/737/files/august%2017%20web_camping.pdf

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/737/files/august%2017%20geoloc%20web_camping.pdf

Peace!