Hey everyone, So I have been getting my 86 21' toy dolphin ready for a big trip and am looking at these leaf springs that are sitting almost completely flat... on side a little bit more then the other.

Im wondering if when I replace the leaf springs it will sit higher or does it sag a bit due to the natural weight of the camper being on it.

Did they national rv get the toyota, and as they built it the weight added up causing the springs to sit ah bit flat?

I saw another that sat the same way but was in ruff shape so not such a good source.

I feel they are over 20 years old and are just old? what do you all think?

Anyone able to show me how their leafs look? I know a truck would need them if it sat flat...

Edited by D J Dolphin 86

You should call around to some auto parts stores and auto repair shops and see if anyone can set you up with someone local who can build the springs for you. From what I under stand is you want your rig fully loaded like for a trip and have the weight on each wheel taken. If you have 400 pounds more on the left rear than the right then that spring might need one more leaf in it etc. You might be able to order them from someone but the weight on each wheel will need to be known to do it right. Air bags on the rear springs are a big help also and the addition of just the bags might give you a better less jarring ride. It is possible to put different air pressure in each bag also to level it out. I just bought some "AirLift" rear bags and hope to be installing them next weekend. Do a search for Air lift 57113 and you find them available from many sources. I bought mine here http://www.jegs.com/i/Air+Lift/022/57113/10002/-1

follow gregs advice seak a shop that only makes/installs leaf springs. look near truck stops trucks need them replaced more often. for sure start with leafs. i replaced mine and had one leaf added. I needed more clearance and it rides alot smoother. cost 500

woohoo!!! all new rear leaf springs (toyota 1 ton springs with one leaf added) also new heavy duty rear shocks and now our 1986 dolphin is sittin pretty! the countdown begins for our honeymoon trip from the Atlantic to the to Pacific and back in a flash!

woohoo!!! all new rear leaf springs (toyota 1 ton springs with one leaf added) also new heavy duty rear shocks and now our 1986 dolphin is sittin pretty! the countdown begins for our honeymoon trip from the Atlantic to the to Pacific and back in a flash!

How much was the bill for the leaf springs?

Seamus McShank

Mine has 3 or 4 extra leafs, air shocks and now air bags.

The air bags made a huge difference!

How much was the bill for the leaf springs?

Seamus McShank

816.00 for the parts I put them in. They tried to tell me My camper was real rust and blah blah blah they wanted 600 more with another added spring wich would have been nice but she sits pretty now. They cut the leaf spring u bolts too short and I had to go back.rrrrrrrrrr.

I was talking with the owner of an RV shop in Wenatchee, WA yesterday and explained that I needed a butt lift of about 3". He told me to head to a junk yard, find a pair of used leaf springs of the same dimensions of my second leaf and then bring them to his shop and they would install them. He said he had done the same with a small GM RV and that it actually improved his handling. Could it be that easy, just find a pair of secondary leafs (leaves?) in a junkyard (preferrably from a one ton Toyota)?

The nearest serious spring shop is 180 miles away. I'm willing to look at anything (already have airbag assist).