While sitting home with my foot in a cast I decided to buy some LED’s to try as replacements for the 1156 cheap plastic interior lights. Part of concern was power usage and secondly the plastic ones were well, ugly

post-669-12717121156142_thumb.jpgpost-669-12717121447367_thumb.jpg

The first picture shows the W4B-WHP10-D LED in operation the current draw is in milli amps 163.2 or .163 amps interestingly the current dropped as they warmed up.

The specs. on a 1156 bulb are 26.9 watts so 26.9 divided by 12.58 = 2.13 amps! That’s a huge difference that means you could run 13 LED’s and still not use quite the power of one 1156 bulb.The little panel I made is 2”X 2.5”X 1/8” aluminum the large hole is 1 1/8” the LED assemble is a tight fit in the hole so I chose not to glue it, the switch is just a miniature on/off toggle.

post-669-12717123866496_thumb.jpgpost-669-12717124231127_thumb.jpgpost-669-12717124598836_thumb.jpg

The first light picture is of the 1156 fixture the second is the warm white LED and the last one the cool white. I set the camera white balance as neutral as I could but a camera does not see quite the same as a person. The first two are pretty close to what I saw the 3rd was defiantly more blue then pictured. I’m sensitive to blue light so I don’t like the color all be it some what brighter. It is more of a bright sun shine color. As you can see the 1156 is a bit brighter then the LED but not enough to say it’s not enough light.

All and all I very pleased with the warm white LED’s the cool white I think is going in the shower and I am going to order the last 3 to replace the rest. This is not a cheap endeavor at 14.95 per LED from superbrightleds.com there are some direct replacement for the 1156 bulb but I wanted to change out the complete fixture. LED’s are worth looking at well not directly they will hurt your eyes! So you guys away from the power grid can have all the light you want and still have plenty of battery.

I think that's the same LED assembly I used

gallery_1_199_19705.jpg

I sacrificed some bulbs and made my own bases for them. I just laid the assembly in the bottom of the fixtures plastic lens. I even found that if you use stiff enough wire you can bend it so the assembly will direct the light in a more apropiate direction if needed. There are some more pics in the gallery. http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=1&do=view_album&album=199

They are actually too bright at times. I am thinking of adding a toggle switch that would power a lower output assembly when we just want some soft lighting in the evening.

Good deal they look like the same, the ones I got are 10 chip led's. I wanted to flush mount the lamps and do away with the plastic things there is a 3/4" space between the wood work and the cabinet bottoms where the wiring was run and that gave me the space to flush mount them so only the 1/8" edge shows. I decide to use the cool white ones where there was a need for bright light and the warm white where there was only a need for a reading light much easier on the eyes a lot less uv with the warm white. I put two over the table. They worked out very nice you can't really see them until they are on. Now to get busy with the wood filler and some stain, this thing over the years must have had 3 or 4 different lights in it every location had at least 8 screw holes.

I like the idea of the lights being hidden. A nice clean look! Thinks I might just look into doin' the same with the addition of a couple standard led's looking down at the table. Another item of interest that superbright has is the tape strip led's on a roll. Seems like they would be great for inside cabinets etc with a switch that turns them on when the door is open. I got a bunch of places where light would be nice and the under cabinet lights just doesn't shine there. Even under the hood of the truck for that night time looky see.

The best way I found to patch screw holes in wood is to first push as much of the wood as possible back into the hole then a stain which is a bit lighter color onto the damaged wood. Then I use puddy sticks. They are like a crayon and come in a dozen shades. You can mix them by taking small chunks and work them between your fingers to soften and mix. Then just knife it into the hole.

The 10 led module is what I got but in the warm light.

gallery_1_199_66209.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there something you can buy off the shelf? These look pretty home grown. Would be nice to be able to put something into the existing light socket and have an LED on the end. Anybody have a link?

Is there something you can buy off the shelf? These look pretty home grown. Would be nice to be able to put something into the existing light socket and have an LED on the end. Anybody have a link?

I found some LED lightbulbs on ebay they fit in the fixtures perfectly.I replaced all of my lightbulbs with them. They emit a blue light but for me, I have to have all of them on so I can see well. My Dolphin needed 14 bulbs, I buoght 4 extra bulbs and I needed to replace 2 of the bulbs because some of the individual LED lights in the bad bulbs did not work. With the relatively low price per bulb (approx $3) I was able to afford to replace a few of them and still be in to them for less than it would have if I bought LEDS from the camper store.

Google "G4" LED's they are replacements for halogen bulbs saw a 24 chip one claiming 180 lumins for under $4 I think they are air mailed form China/Tiwan.

• 1 month later...

I just replaced the light bulbs on mine with warm white bulbs I foudn on ebay. They were about $4 after shipping and just snapped into the existing fixtures. I've tried the regular white ones they work but are very glary.

• 5 months later...

The ones I used were purchased on e-bay ($5 each). I glued them into the fixture and hard wired them. It was a little more work, but defiantly worth the effort. These are high power and a warm white. As for the color and brightness, I could not tell the difference between these and a regular bulb.

Search e-bay # "320756868072" or "36-1210 SMD LED" Make sure you select the "Warm White" LEDs. The "White" LEDs will be more blue in color. I also noticed that you can buy a lot of 10 for a couple bucks cheaper.

Here's a link to the writeup I did on installing these.

LED Install

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto