I need a electric fuel pump for 79' dolphin

starhunter21

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the '79 setup, but IF the pump isn't actually in the tank you can go to Autozone/Advance/NAPA and get a generic in-line replacement pump for $40-$50. They usually are available in 2 different pressure ranges. Hopefully someone here will be able to tell you what the correct pressure is for your '79.

So the fuel pump is in the tank? If you've got the part number, you could start by Googling it. And searching the P/N in the various Toyota Forums. And of course there's always EvilBay.

Sometimes a pump installed out of the tank is capable of pulling fuel through the intank, dead pump. I've no idea if that's the case here. Just throwing ideas on the table. It would be a shame to replace a perfectly good gas tank just because the fuel pump isn't working.

So the fuel pump is in the tank? If you've got the part number, you could start by Googling it. And searching the P/N in the various Toyota Forums. And of course there's always EvilBay.

Sometimes a pump installed out of the tank is capable of pulling fuel through the intank, dead pump. I've no idea if that's the case here. Just throwing ideas on the table. It would be a shame to replace a perfectly good gas tank just because the fuel pump isn't working.

I have the part number and it is no longer available. I have been searching all over the web. So, I think my next move is to find a gas gauge that will fit in the fuel tank from another year of toyota, or other. All I need to make sure is that the correct ohm from the stock electrical. THen I will mount an external fuel pump on the frame.

Now all I need is the directions?

Derek is right a good pump will pull fuel through the bad pump worst case remove the old pump and just use the pickup tube and put the housing back in you may have to add a little extension. It is a low pressure pump, mount an external pump low as you can safely and use the existing wiring. This thing has two pumps?

• 2 years later...

it is an external electric pump on the 20R, the head had no provisions for a mechanical fuel pump (a few did) the late 20Rs did though electric pumps were used on the trucks until the late 8122R which had a head mounted mechanical pump.

max what about the fuel pump reszister under the hood on the left side one toyota mec told me those were problematic but i never had a problem with 1977 20r corona or 1978 minimax is he shure it is the pump and as i remeber the sending unit is not partof the pump . wo nder if BOSCH would havea pump that would work exteranel or in the tank

i have a 79 dolphin that had a fuel pump problem.i installed an electric pump on the fender well.it does pull fuel through the old pump.my gas guage works.but the gas mileage suffered badly.i now get approx. 12 mpg.but it does run.

The only thing I could think of that would cause this would be if you got a Fuel Injection pump (60psi) instead of a Carb pump (6 psi), and its able to push fuel past the card bowl. However, if this was the case, I suspect the the engine would be running very rich.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I agree, but it might not be a fuel injection pump. If you're using one of the 'cube' electronic pumps, they're generally available in 2 different pressure ratings. One's 1-3psi, the other 4-6psi (generally). I'd check what you've got installed and try to find out what pressure you need. Do you have the stock carb or a replacement Weber?

you guys got me thinking so i went and checked the pump.i cant read anything except that it says for a 6 cyl.it has the stock carb.i will look for another pump thats better matched to my 4 cyl. thanks

toyota never made sixs with carbs for shure sort of slipped my mind on that 20r as i rember the stock carb has 2 fuel lines if it does i think one takes exces gas back to the tank acording to my old 20r book1975 to 1979 used the electric pump in the tank the SPEC IS PSI 2.1 to 4.3 psi FLOW RATE IS 1 and 3 eights QUARTS per MINUTE. yes facing the bowel window the twin gas hose fitting left is intake to the right is return to the tank. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU to high pressure will cause flooding. ANOTHER OLD TIME ADD On THING WAS A IN LINE AFTER MARKET ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN STILL BUY THEM

• 6 months later...

My 1979 is on a 1978 chassis. The Airtex Master #E8188 as motoyhomme stated is the correct pump. I got mine through AutoZone (chain store) for $63.99. It also fits the 1979.

I have not installed it yet,so can't offer any advice there. Good Luck.