Removing Skunk Odor (and juice)

Gulfstream Greg

We recently had one of our cats sprayed in the face by a skunk. It was a horrible experience (I am sure for the cat also). So after it was all over I have come to the conclusion that there will always be a skunk kit in the RV. I can not even imagine having a dog sprayed by a skunk in the RV and no way to really get rid of the smell. Tomato juice you say, no way. A search on the Internet and a call to the emergency vet got this recipe.

First off DO NOT LET YOUR PET IN YOUR RV. Getting it off the pet is easy compared to removing it from all the surfaces in the RV.

1 qt or 1 pint of hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 teaspoon of dawn dish-washing soap (skunk juice is oily and dawn helps release it from the fur)

rubber gloves for all parties involved

Try to rinse out the eyes with clean water before anything else

mix it all together in a large pot and then apply it to the pet being careful not to get it in the eyes, let sit for 5 plus minutes. Then rinse it all off. A second washing might be necessary.

It worked really well on the cat. His head barely had an odor after we were done.

• 4 weeks later...

We recently had one of our cats sprayed in the face by a skunk. It was a horrible experience (I am sure for the cat also). So after it was all over I have come to the conclusion that there will always be a skunk kit in the RV. I can not even imagine having a dog sprayed by a skunk in the RV and no way to really get rid of the smell. Tomato juice you say, no way. A search on the Internet and a call to the emergency vet got this recipe.

First off DO NOT LET YOUR PET IN YOUR RV. Getting it off the pet is easy compared to removing it from all the surfaces in the RV.

1 qt or 1 pint of hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 teaspoon of dawn dish-washing soap (skunk juice is oily and dawn helps release it from the fur)

rubber gloves for all parties involved

Try to rinse out the eyes with clean water before anything else

mix it all together in a large pot and then apply it to the pet being careful not to get it in the eyes, let sit for 5 plus minutes. Then rinse it all off. A second washing might be necessary.

It worked really well on the cat. His head barely had an odor after we were done.

The smell is from a reduced sulfur compound called a butyl mercaptan. Anything that oxydizes it will work therefore the peroxide which is probably the safest oxydizer. My cat got blitzed by a skunk and he didn't seem to care. I went to pick him up and gagged.

Speaking of cats I became an expert on cat litter after having one of the cats make a late night thunder dump in the litter box by the bed in my old Toy. I found that a fifty fifty mix of regular litter and wood stove pellets with a little baking soda is the best.

post-332-1157609781.jpg

• 1 month later...

The smell is from a reduced sulfur compound called a butyl mercaptan. Anything that oxydizes it will work therefore the peroxide which is probably the safest oxydizer. My cat got blitzed by a skunk and he didn't seem to care. I went to pick him up and gagged.

Speaking of cats I became an expert on cat litter after having one of the cats make a late night thunder dump in the litter box by the bed in my old Toy. I found that a fifty fifty mix of regular litter and wood stove pellets with a little baking soda is the best.

I am going to be putting together a pet section on the main site and will add your litter mix in there!

Greg

• 2 months later...

Living out here in the country, we have always had a dog (or 2 or3) and have had the skunking experience more than once. We tried all of the remedies we heard about but nothing really worked until we tried the mix that Greg talks about. The one thing to remember, is that the mixture does not store - you have to mix a fresh batch for each use- but it is the only thing we have found that really does work.

• 7 months later...

There are also some commerical products out there if you want to spend some bucks. Check with any sporting goods store which carries products for hunting dogs.

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately my dog likes getting hit by the skunk and will get up in the middle of the night and pretend she really has to go pee if she knows there is one around. In a pinch, I use listerine and was told other mouth washes work too. She hates the mouthwash though!!

Most vets carry a solution that works but it ain't cheap. We had a dog that chased one into the house that was not fun as we were in the house at the time along with the skunk and the dog.